Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can anyone offer me good deal for gitlab instance
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

can anyone offer me good deal for gitlab instance

Hello,

i am about to end service with netcup and looking for a good deal for gitlab, which is becoming hungry for resources.

so i am looking for vps with
min. 4 cores
min. 6gb ram
120GB SSD

kvm is better
and EU is preferable but USA also fine.

thanks.

Comments

• are you friend of @Jar ? Looks familiar.

• try Gitea instead - less resource hungry

Thanked by 1solaire
  • creep said: are you friend of @Jar ? Looks familiar.

lol no

pinc said: try Gitea instead - less resource hungry

i thought of moving to Gitea earlier but now CI of gitlab is game changer for me so i would stick with it only.

• seenu said: i thought of moving to Gitea earlier but now CI of gitlab is game changer for me so i would stick with it only.

No love for Jenkins or drone.io? I honestly find both to be better than Gitlab.

• jenkins is good , never tried drone.io

but with gitlab, everything in single location and i customized gitlab CI for my dev requirements now if i move to other service...need to find workarounds again.

• i don't understand why no one is offering bigger vps plans.... all are targetting 512mb/1gb plans and personally i don't know what to do with them :(

• If 6gb ram is your minimum, a Netcup VPS might be ideal value for money.

Are you planning on running CI runners on same host? Then pick a RootServer instead.

• yes i want to run on same host.

i am already having their RootServer (which i am ending now) because it is having HDD, i am looking SSD.

after shifting from SSD to HDD i can see my gitlab is damn slow.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

What is your budget?

• seenuseenu Member
    edited November 2018

@AlexBarakov

no idea exactly but willing to pay around $80/yr.

thanks.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited November 2018

IMO, The problem is the number of cores in your request .

Else, use some cheap 1GB+ssd KVMs for runners. (one-off jobs that rarely peg the cpu.) and get a 2 core 4GB KVM-ssd for Gitlab.

• seenuseenu Member
    edited November 2018

my current gitlab is at netcup with 8cores https://i.imgur.com/UY9TMcv.png and i still feel its slow.

@vimalware said:
    IMO, The problem is the number of cores in your request .

Else, use some cheap 1GB+ssd KVMs for runners. (one-off jobs that rarely peg the cpu.) and get a 2 core 4GB KVM-ssd for Gitlab.

• Try a provider with 3Ghz+ E3 cores. Gitlab is ruby single thread limited too, after disk IO latency.

• @vimalware said:
    Try a provider with 3Ghz+ E3 cores. Gitlab is ruby single thread limited too, after disk IO latency.

Oh thanks for the tip, do you recommend any?

• @vimalware i forgot to inform you.

since hipchat is dissolving, i am thinking of using mattermost bundled with gitlab for about 15users.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

problem is your budget as well, 120GB SSD is expensive in a VM

• @AlexBarakov said:
    problem is your budget as well, 120GB SSD is expensive in a VM

ok.... whats the best you can give on yearly payment?

along with specs i mentioned, i may need 1 or 2 extra ips aswell.

thanks.

• IIRC first-root had a nice 140GB ssd KVM with 4GB ram. Check if the ping is normal http://lg.first-root.com

Thanked by 1seenu