Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1Fichier 10€/year Premium Black Friday offer is back!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1Fichier 10€/year Premium Black Friday offer is back!

Check their website to order :)
Would wish for them to bring lifetime deal back on BF weekend but doesn't seem very likely.

Thanked by 1that_guy

Comments

• is this recurring? I can't find the info

Thanks

• @ferri said:
    is this recurring? I can't find the info

Thanks

Probably not.

• BBTNBBTN Member
    edited November 2018

:/

• But you can grab another offer next year.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @default said:
    But you can grab another offer next year.

True, I've renewed my service with them in advance twice so far...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Too bad, if we pay with Paypal we need to pay 100% fee, so total is $20 / year :(

• Can you buy multiple years instead of just 1, without vouchers?

• @default said:
    Can you buy multiple years instead of just 1, without vouchers?

I can't guarantee it, but I think it should work.
    I know that vouchers do stack. E.g. you can buy 5 1-year vouchers at once, put them all in your account, and your account will state somewhere that it is now valid until today + 5 years.
    I can confirm, that this worked for me: I bought an older speacial deal directly (no voucher) from them and used it for months. When I had a few months left, I bought a new 3-year speacial deal directly from them. Then my account stated that it was valid for the 3 years + the few months i had left. So I think direct purchases stack as well.

If you don't want to take any risk, it'd be best to ask them.

PS: I just pushed ~40GB via FTP to my account at a solid ~80MByte/s without much fluctuation. At least for me their network has always been quite fast, tested mostly by FTPing from Leasewebs volume network and OVH to 1fichier, and downloading via HTTP to my PC with my UPC germany (= Unitymedia) 120 MBit/s cable.

PPS: To easily FTP stuff to them via linux commandline, install ncftp. Example command line:
    ncftpput -u YOUR1FICHIERUSER -p YOUR1FICHIERPW -R ftp.1fichier.com / /home/john/warez/SOMEFILEORDIRECTORY or a wildcard like *.iso
    The first / is the target directory on the target server. In this case the rootdir of 1fichiers FTP. You must use that, and then move the files to your desired subfolder with the web filemanger in your account. It can take 5-30 minutes until all the files show up in your account!
    Just felt like sharing this while I'm at it.

• that_guythat_guy Member
    edited November 2018

Can't edit my post anymore, so sorry for the bump!

Addendum:

1. The -R copies whole dirs incl. subdirs and files. If you just want to transfer 1 file, you can leave it out, but it also doesn't get in the way then, so you can just always use it.

2. I added -z and -A to my standard comand line (cAsE sEnSiTiVe!). It skips files/dirs that are already on the target and complete, tries to resume broken transfers, and append files. By default ncftpput just overwrites everything thats already there, no matter if its complete or incomplete! NOTE: If 1fichiers upload-FTP already moved your files to the actual storage system, ncftpput will of course not find them and reupload them!

3. Ympker found out, that you can create up to 9 additional FTP users, and assign them subfolders as their home/root dir.
      E.g. you create a subfolder in the web filemanager called 'backup', create a FTP user and assign the backup folder to it, and if you upload files with this FTP user, the files will be put in the backup folder, so you don't have to move them manually after the upload.

• Is this offer still on or do I need to wait till cm?

• @lurch said:
    Is this offer still on or do I need to wait till cm?

Still on. To pay without fees go with bank transfer. With cc it's 11,23€ and with Paysafecard 10,80€. Bank Transfer is 10€

• So, you can upload through FTP, but not download through FTP? So, you can't create a write-mountable share on a VPS with this? I get that it would be good for backing stuff up, but how do you guys retrieve your backups when needed, if there are many files?

• @user123 said:
    So, you can upload through FTP, but not download through FTP? So, you can't create a write-mountable share on a VPS with this? I get that it would be good for backing stuff up, but how do you guys retrieve your backups when needed, if there are many files?

Backup as .zip and retrieve via DL from Web GUI.

• @Ympker said:

@user123 said:
    So, you can upload through FTP, but not download through FTP? So, you can't create a write-mountable share on a VPS with this? I get that it would be good for backing stuff up, but how do you guys retrieve your backups when needed, if there are many files?

So, it would work better for many small files than medium or large files.

• @user123 said:

@Ympker said:

@user123 said:

Why would it work better for many small files?

• @Ympker said:

@user123 said:

@Ympker said:

@user123 said:

Having to download and extract a backup zip that's 50GB-80GB wouldn't be easy and would require lots of free space, unless you manually do a few partial extractions or split the backup download into multiple zips.

• @user123 said:

@Ympker said:

@user123 said:

@Ympker said:

@user123 said:

Having to download and extract a backup zip that's 50GB-80GB wouldn't be easy and would require lots of free space, unless you manually do a few partial extractions or split the backup download into multiple zips.

Ah, sure. I only backup websites via ftp though so not very large. And other stuff like media I upload via Web gui.

Thanked by 1user123
  • @user123 said:

You got that right.
    I haven't done it yet, but if I'd need to DL lots of files, I'd use one of the compatible DL-managers listed on their site.
    If that fails, I'd mark the files as CDN to create direct hotlinks (requires premium acc), and then use them with any normal DL-manager.

• So we cannot download files via FTP ?

• @Creling said:
    So we cannot download files via FTP ?

No.

• @that_guy said:
    @user123 said:

You got that right.
    I haven't done it yet, but if I'd need to DL lots of files, I'd use one of the compatible DL-managers listed on their site.
    If that fails, I'd mark the files as CDN to create direct hotlinks (requires premium acc), and then use them with any normal DL-manager.

But, you only get 100GB of direct hotlinks. So, if you need to restore more than that in that way, you'd have to pay extra.

• @Ympker said:

@Creling said:

No.

sad

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2018

@Creling said:

@Ympker said:

@Creling said:

No.

sad

For the price I pay it's okay :)

@user123 said:

@that_guy said:
    @user123 said:

You got that right.

But, you only get 100GB of direct hotlinks. So, if you need to restore more than that in that way, you'd have to pay extra.

They stack over time. 100GB/month. And tbh I NEVER use that direct link credit.

Thanked by 1user123
  • @Ympker do you store any media or large private files there? If so, how do you encrypt them before uploading?

• @user123 said:
    @Ympker do you store any media or large private files there? If so, how do you encrypt them before uploading?

I encrpyt them with AESCrypt usually

Thanked by 1user123
  • Ympker said: I encrpyt them with AESCrypt usually

Do you use AESCrypt your data and upload using ftp (plain)?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2018

@greattomeetyou said:

Ympker said: I encrpyt them with AESCrypt usually

Do you use AESCrypt your data and upload using ftp (plain)?

I mostly use Webgui https to upload but when it's automatic it's FTP TLS and no crucial data.

• Ympker said: I mostly use Webgui https to upload but when it's automatic it's FTP TLS and no crucial data.

What would you recommend to backup crucial data? And where is a better place to backup crucial data? Thanks.

• @greattomeetyou said:

Ympker said: I mostly use Webgui https to upload but when it's automatic it's FTP TLS and no crucial data.

What would you recommend to backup crucial data? And where is a better place to backup crucial data? Thanks.

Local hard drive.

• @greattomeetyou said:

Ympker said: I mostly use Webgui https to upload but when it's automatic it's FTP TLS and no crucial data.

You want at least 3 backups/copies in 3 different places for crucial data.

Thanked by 1vimalware