Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SemoWeb Acquired by Root Level Technology
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SemoWeb Acquired by Root Level Technology

Root Level Technology is at it again, after the recent acquisition in May of the FTNHosting brands (URPad, K-Disk, VMPort), they have again acquired SemoWeb, a LE provider.

Looking at http://rootleveltech.com/products.html it looks like they also acquired ReliaBox around the same time with SemoWeb.

Congrats to Dustin on the sale, guess he finally got bored of the low end industry after a mighty 5+ years, hehe.

Comments

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

Why do they keep buying, thought they would have enough experince of VPS/LE VPS providing with the companies they already have. I wonder Dustin will do a GetAsh and launch another LE VPS? I also wonder how much Semoweb was worth?

• jakejake Member
    edited July 2013

It's a way of building up client base, some like to start from the ground up and work their way up, some like to build a client base by spending money and acquiring hosting companies that are already established. I'm sure Dustin has signed some sort of non-compete for a number of years to prevent him from starting up another one. He also works for QuadraNet according to his LinkedIn so I'm sure that's already keeping him busy!

I wonder what he got for this... 5 years is a mighty long time and it looked like SemoWeb had a decently sized client base.

• @jake - sometimes when there is change of ownership, a significant number of clients jump ship due to uncertainty and similar factors... I suppose if you want to quickly increase your client base then that is a way to go.

• jakejake Member

@asterisk14 said:
    jake - sometimes when there is change of ownership, a significant number of clients jump ship due to uncertainty and similar factors... I suppose if you want to quickly increase your client base then that is a way to go.

Only if they start making changes or things take a turn for the worse. If the service level continues or improves, and prices do not change, I don't see why clients would have a reason to switch.

• In the UK, Sky has recently bought out O2/Be Unlimited. Even though nothing will change for customers for the next 6 months and possibly longer, a lot of them are jumping ship already, some even by breaking their current contracts, just due to the uncertainty/fear/etc....

• acquisitions usually lead to uncertainty on the part of costumers because there will definitely be policy changes.

• What is up with all of these hosts being bought out recently. :/

• @asterisk14 Sky... those guys are suing Vole for Sky Drive.

• SpiritSpirit Member

What's URPad clients experience? About support from Root Level Technology? It seems like they keep all servers the same (without migration to own machines) or what?
    So far I haven't seen any complains.

• Maybe someone will finally fix their broken website. :)

• @Spirit said:
    What's URPad clients experience? About support from Root Level Technology? It seems like they keep all servers the same (without migration to own machines) or what?
    So far I haven't seen any complains.

Support is the same as it was before: good. I've had two tickets open since they URPad got acquired and they were handled rapidly and professionally.

• Hey Root Level will have lunch with you if you fly out there, I wonder if they buy lol.

• I have a VPS at SemoWeb.

As far as I know, there was no announcements for customers about owner change. I don't know why, since Support confirms that, when asked.

No mention of acquisiton on the SemoWeb site, in its social services streams, either.

• Probably because the owner was out the second he signed papers, and a NDA. Then RLT probably told tech support what's up, or fired all the tech support and their tech support crew is telling people what's up.