Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

vpsBoard calls it quits - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

vpsBoard calls it quits

2»

Comments

• nik said: He wrote already that he won't sell it.

Don't get the logic to be honest, but fair enough.

• @jiggawattz said:
    vps.fail is available: United States $ 3.99 for the first year.

Holding out for vpsboard.party... only $7 for a decade!

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ricardo said: Don't get the logic to be honest, but fair enough.

@MannDude could sell the domain (and/or the IPB software licenses) without necessarily selling the database/content.

Holy crap, I just remembered that I once sold sugarvps.com to MannDude on WHT. That was a while ago.

MannDude said: based on some outdated platforms when competing against more modern discussion platforms like Reddit. (Which I'll admit makes up 95% of all my 'forum' use nowadays. I don't really use any forum for any particular interest anymore)

The one thing Reddit lacks in my experience, ironically, is strong community. At least, for big subs - just so many people that it's like being in a stadium vs. a coffeehouse. It's feels a lot more like StackExchange than a traditional forum to me.

Even for smaller subs devoted to a specific game or something, there's just so many people that you'd never get the in-jokes, traditions, etc. that you get in smaller forums.

I suppose a small sub like MakingLoveInDiapersEastTampaVeganCookout might be different...reddit is really a galaxy unto its own.

They both have their place and maybe I'm just not on the right subreddits, but for me Reddit is a great set of search results, while forums are places to talk.

Awww.

• @raindog308 said:

I suppose a small sub like MakingLoveInDiapersEastTampaVeganCookout might be different...reddit is really a galaxy unto its own.

Go on..

• This is an example of using commercial framework vs custom-made software. This is a good lesson to learn.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

Thanks for running VPSBoard all this time, Manndude. It was great while it lasted and I agree that the IPB upgrade made it almost unusable.

I like Vanilla in most ways and I'd hope the search function is fixable.

@ZiriusPH said:
    This is an example of using commercial framework vs custom-made software. This is a good lesson to learn.

LOL what? No relevance.

For example, you're posting this on Vanilla, not some custom software...

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH
  • The GreenValueHost drama back in the day always did keep this place on its toes.

• Sorry to hear @MannDude. I hope that you enjoy/have fun with your new job, and I wish you all the best with your future endeavours!

I used to lurk there, and there were some good memories.

Thanks for all your time :)

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Its a shame to see VPSB go. I was just the other day trying to login and see what was up (I too dropped off after the forum software change).

I'd like to see LET have some competition. Not necessarily because there i anything wrong here, but competition breeds improvements.

Best of luck @MannDude in the future, whatever happens.

• It was a nice forum indeed.

• @raindog308 said:

@ZiriusPH said:
    This is an example of using commercial framework vs custom-made software. This is a good lesson to learn.

LOL what? No relevance.

For example, you're posting this on Vanilla, not some custom software...

I was high when i posted that msg.

• @MannDude How do you intend to archive it? I suggest converting it into a static site using httrack. That way you won't have to maintain any CMS.

• StradaleStradale Member
    edited February 2017

It was always dead so

• ZiriusPH said: I was high when i posted that msg.

• @Nekki said:
    Let's not kid ourselves, it died because it was a fucking boring place to spend your time.

Was it full of immature loons? No

Was it full of pointless drama? No

Was it full of incoherent ramblings? Well yes, but that was mainly Dr. Mike, everyone else was generally very sensible.

vpsBoard was quite possibly LET's better in every possible area except one, and it's the one that really matters - entertainment.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

^let the drama commence

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • This site has few visitors.

• hostslb said: This site has few visitors.

Nice necro, get banned.

Thanks!!

@doghouch

• @hostslb said:
    This site has few visitors.

Really? You had to necro a year-old thread just to spam your shitty signature?

Thanked by 1eol
This discussion has been closed.