Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server question

I use a social media automation bot currently running 400 accounts off of a dual core i5 12gb ram laptop. It works great but I'd like to move it over to a dedicated server however I don't seem to have any luck with providers. Every time I use a dedicated server the amount of operations performed daily gets cut in half which is a big problem. I'm a bit of a novice here but do I need more cores or more ram for this? I had a dedicated server with 32gb and it still didn't work. Thanks.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2018

What was the CPU of the server you had that had half the ops of your i5? I don't think anyone can give you an answer since it depends on the software.

• donlidonli Member
    edited November 2018

Well if you have 2 identical computers with identical software and same type of internet connections they should perform the same. So ask yourself what's different from your laptop version compared to the dedicated server version?

How much memory, cpu and internet bandwidth does your bot need?

Is there any way to modify your bot to see where the bottleneck might be?

• The dedicated server had more bandwidth so I don't think it's that. The server was using Intel Xeon E3-1270v3 (4x3.5GHz) with 32gb ram and 240 gb SSD and still wasn't working as well as the laptop. Bandwidth of the server was 10TB @ 1Gbps. I can't modify the bot as I license it and wouldn't even know where to start with that.

• @deathpriest said:
    The dedicated server had more bandwidth so I don't think it's that. The server was using Intel Xeon E3-1270v3 (4x3.5GHz) with 32gb ram and 240 gb SSD and still wasn't working as well as the laptop. Bandwidth of the server was 10TB @ 1Gbps. I can't modify the bot as I license it and wouldn't even know where to start with that.

What's is the cpu model on your laptop? Can the bot use more than a single/core/thread?

• It's an i5-7300hq cpu @2.5GHz and I believe the bot can use more than 1 core.

1. On what operating system your script run?
    2. What dedi providers did you try?

Overall it dont make sense that you were able to perform less actions on your server compared to your laptop. Probably you have some misconfiguration problems.

• hmmm, interesting case, made me curious too. . .

• GTHostGTHost Member, Patron Provider

maybe something wrong with your server, try another one.

• Interesting, either some hw or config problem.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I won't help as long as I have reason the think that "social media automation" means spamming or similar bad activity.

• There's no spamming or bad activity but appreciate your help.

• Can you share the bot name or link maybe it's common trouble

• It's called Jarvee I've searched everywhere for an answer and their customer support doesn't really seem to know.

No help with a "marketing" bot.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint eol
  • SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited November 2018

Every time I use a dedicated server the amount of operations performed daily gets cut in half which is a big problem.

The IP range(s) of the dedicated server(s) is certainly blacklisted, or throttled by social networks, especially to avoid this kind of practice.

In all events, at some point or another, social networks will certainly closed all these accounts.

@SteveMC said:
    In all events, at some point or another, social networks will certainly closed all these accounts.

Sadly no. I would have hundreds of comment spam posts each and every day if I didn't brutally filter. In fact, meanwhile I'm so pi__ed off that I geo block whole (sometimes seriously big) countries and lots and lots of providers.

The problem is that you can block providers who are known to host spammers (e.g. servermania) and you can block tor exit nodes ... but there is more than a billion (I guess) home end points probably millions of which are hacked and part of bot nets so the spammers always have plenty IPs available to change - and they do, sometimes multiple times per day.

As for this case here: I have learned painfully that "marketing" on the internet is just a euphemism for spamming.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • Yes, you are perfectly right @jsg . My comment was about the fact that social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc...) are massively* closing accounts such as the ones the OP is using.

• but fake accounts can be reopened faster than closed, and SN must not delete too much accounts, at the risk of seeing their number of "members" decrease too much :)
  • @op
    I bet there are 2 reasons of your problems - operating system and software itself.
    Such small softwares are not well tested on different operating systems, in result software may work differently on different versions of Windows. On your lap you probably use windows 7 or 10, on servers - windows server 2012 or 2016. I would check how software behave on different operating systems on server grade hardware.

If you buy a dedicated server with an IPMI/KVM you can install even windows 7/10 BOX edition, or pay someone to get this done for you.

@jsg
    sad to hear you have problems with spam, most spammy softwares are trained against script (for example wordpress), not against particular site (unless its really big). Some custom antispam solution would help here, custom captcha or additional field with question and answer. For example put a question in JPG format, split it in two or three jpg files, put in this way on the registration form in your software, give field where response should be put some misleading name (for example password or surename - many bots fill in forms by names). It should do the work.

• Spamming is the scourge of the internet, along with ignorant Windows lusers that blindly broadcast and port scan services on networks, IMHO.
    These should be banned at source not at target, freeing bandwidth for legitimate traffic and reducing loads on for example, firewalls.

• It's the IP for fucks sake. The minute they see a datacenter IP they rate limit it.

Doesn't effect normal usage but for a bot it will throttle it. Especially if said bot posts more then a normal user.

Thanked by 3eol Wolveix MasonR
  • Careful, you might be helping a Russian posting fake news.

• Better a Russian than a Clinton.

Thanked by 2eol vovler
  • @deathpriest I just can’t see how someone would need 400 ‘marketing’ accounts on Twitter. That said, we’re white hat — we don’t support anything that can harm a provider or anything that is against the law.

If you can justify what you’ll be using the ‘marketing’ accounts for, I’ll re-open the thread. Otherwise, it’s a /thread from me.

Thanked by 1eol
This discussion has been closed.