Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

As EOL of OpenVZ6 is November 2019, this would be Last BP with container VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

As EOL of OpenVZ6 is November 2019, this would be Last BP with container VPS?

I don't think I saw much LXC or openvz 7 VPS.
Would everybody just move to KVM or some other full virtualization?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

IMO in the LE market it will just be an upgrade to VZ7, it works just like VZ6 but with a newer kernel, migration is simple, the primary control panels support it already.

KVM would result in a price rise, my personal opinion is that anyone saying different is probably already charging to much for VZ containers or trying to support some other strange narrative.

LXC never really took off in the hosting world, I am not 100% sure why as I have not done significant testing myself but from what I understand it is security/isolation related.

VZ6 EOL is not the dooms day some people would have you believe, VZ7 has been stable for a while now, I think people just don't want to adopt the ploop file system because it hurts overselling.

You will likely start seeing hosts gradually migration to VZ7 over 2019.

Thanked by 3bugrakoc Shazan omelas
  • There are some things that openvz is excels at compared to kvm or other full virtualization in that case.

Openvz is not going anywhere.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I'd like to get people to move to KVM VPS but it's too much of a hassle, I offer 50% credit refund for people who switch if they've had an OpenVZ for a long time. VZ7 is probably fine, I just hope it doesn't end up like VZ6 in a few years with the kernel now.

• We need an expert here. Calling in @eol

• Good luck with your budget.

• @MikeA said:
    VZ7 is probably fine, I just hope it doesn't end up like VZ6 in a few years with the kernel now.

But it probably will, because that's the development model, based on RHEL's kernel.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@angstrom said:

@MikeA said:
    VZ7 is probably fine, I just hope it doesn't end up like VZ6 in a few years with the kernel now.

But it probably will, because that's the development model, based on RHEL's kernel.

Yeah, one can wish.

• AnthonySmith said: KVM would result in a price rise, my personal opinion is that anyone saying different is probably already charging to much for VZ containers or trying to support some other strange narrative.

I love seeing quotes that say exactly what I want to say. It saves me typing? Oh wait. Seriously though, this.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

AnthonySmith said: KVM would result in a price rise, my personal opinion is that anyone saying different is probably already charging to much for VZ containers or trying to support some other strange narrative.

From my perspective, clients would rather pay more for OpenVZ than KVM. Our KVM plans are cheaper than our OpenVZ plans and come with more resources and people still buy more OpenVZ plans than they do KVM. Originally I thought it was because of the location but we sell significantly more OpenVZ VPSs in Tampa than KVM. I've tried figuring this out for over a year and I'm stumped which sucks because we won't be building more KVM nodes in other locations if OpenVZ keeps outselling them by such drastic amounts. My only thoughts are people like the simplicity of OpenVZ, I'm going to add OS Templates to KVM to make them easier to install than ISOs and see if that changes things.

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith pepa65
  • Good luck, Joe. Doubling down on cheap+stupid/lazy vs cheap made dollar tree what it is today.

• h2oh2o Member
    edited November 2018

Overselling <--|--> Expensive

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

I don't find any issues with OpenVZ 7 and Ploop FS and regarding reclaiming disk space, they have a pcompact script/utilitiy built into OVZ 7 that does the task without any issues

• KuJoe said: Originally I thought it was because of the location but we sell significantly more OpenVZ VPSs in Tampa than KVM. I've tried figuring this out for over a year

Switch order on your site KVM than OpenVZ. Remove Swap part from the server description, or add to KVM plans: "SWAP 4GB" while on OVZ plan 2GB for example.

And you will see a dramatically big amount of KVM VPS sells.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

@desperand said:

KuJoe said: Originally I thought it was because of the location but we sell significantly more OpenVZ VPSs in Tampa than KVM. I've tried figuring this out for over a year

Switch order on your site KVM than OpenVZ. Remove Swap part from the server description, or add to KVM plans: "SWAP 4GB" while on OVZ plan 2GB for example.

And you will see a dramatically big amount of KVM VPS sells.

I don't think that's it. We don't advertise swap on our openvz plans and we still see decent sales for vz even though the ram specs are half and price is 30% higher and KVM is overall a better product.

It makes very little sense.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited November 2018

We have hourly Virtuozzo 7 (not Openvz 7) VMs available in Pune, India on our PaaS brand - https://cloudjiffy.com/

We will be launching the same in Los Angeles by end of this week.

We have been using these for almost a year and the platform has been very stable. Openvz 7 should be similar.

We still have legacy Openvz 6 nodes and are taking orders for them.