Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH/Kimsufi stabbing existing customers in the chest, forget your back! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH/Kimsufi stabbing existing customers in the chest, forget your back!

2»

Comments

• Ah ok.
    Didn't knew that.

• @rm_ said:

eol said: Why ovh when you can hetzner?

For me Hetzner charges the Russian VAT, and OVH doesn't. In fact nobody else on the LE* market does (Online.net, OneProvider, FirstHeberg, Linode, DigitalOcean, etc, etc...), only Hetzner. So they are not only supporting the corrupt kleptocracy of Putin's government (if they even transfer the VAT and not simply pocketing it), but also 20% more expensive. For me that's enough of a reason to never consider anything from Hetzner, no matter what.

Interesting, I don't think that there's a law that requires Hetzner to collect Russian VAT from their customers in Russia, so this sounds like a special request to Hetzner from the Russian government. Curious.

• HukinHukin Member
    edited November 2018

eol said: Why ovh when you can hetzner?

OVH never ask for something more that make payment. Hetzner like to lock accounts and go trough verification routine.

rm_ said: rm_

Did you know about Hetzner a formally a Germany-Ukraine hosting company, with many Ukrainian employers )

• If you stay with them for now and they increase prices again, forcing you to switch to a different server company, you will have stayed and paid more for nothing. OVH doesn't have any special features or advantages to my knowledge, besides maybe the DDoS protection, which only ever blocked legitimate traffic for me, so I'd switch to contabo/Hetzner.

• OVH doesn't have any special features or advantages to my knowledge

For my needs, OVH is a lot cheaper than Hetzner, but one advantage I can see is that, from one account, and one billing system in your currency, you can deploy VPS, dedicated servers, etc... at different datacenters in different countries.

Thanked by 1gol3m
  • @Hukin said:
    OVH never ask for something more that make payment. Hetzner like to lock accounts and go trough verification routine.

I always use their auction servers, 16 minutes from ordering to log in has been the record so far. Longest time has been like 2 hours. They never wanted anything but money from me. No account locks but fast processing for me at least.

• @eol said:
    They never wanted anything but money from me.

Ideal relationship <3

Thanked by 3eol Hukin maverickp
  • Yura said: Ideal relationship

I think he's in laws :smiley:

• gol3mgol3m Member
    edited November 2018

@SteveMC said:
    For my needs, OVH is a lot cheaper than Hetzner, but one advantage I can see is that, from one account, and one billing system in your currency, you can deploy VPS, dedicated servers, etc... at different datacenters in different countries.

Huh.. I remember creating separate accounts for SYS, kimsufi, and OVH directly. And billing/payment was manual (no subscription).

• SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited November 2018

Huh.. I remember creating separate accounts for SYS, kimsufi, and OVH directly.

Yes; indeed. I do have my KS and OVH servers at the same account, because it was before the parting of the sea. And in a near future all will be reunited again.

And billing/payment was manual (no subscription).

hum, my payment method is charged automatically for renewal,... which I don't like, I prefer to pay manually and not to be charged abusively :)

Thanked by 1gol3m
  • @Hukin said:

Yura said: Ideal relationship

I think he's in laws :smiley:

Jesus christ, you're the new mailinbox. Need a decoder ring to understand you.

• I have a FR KS-2E (I think that's what is now called the KS-3) that was 7.99 euro when I got it on "promo", then they raised the price to 8.99 (so that's what I'm paying now), then they made the regular price 7.99 again. And I think there was another promo at 6.99. I didn't cancel because they introduced the SYS ARM storage servers as a "regular" product and I figured I'd get around to migrating to one of those, except they quietly stopped selling those (one shows up now and then). And of course there is the requirement to enroll separate accounts for OVH, Kimsufi, and SYS in EU and US (I mean the "US" for BHS servers, there's a separate one for the actual US servers). Can OVH get its act together please?

I plan to ditch the KS-2E soon, it's just a matter of migrating the contents someplace.

Thanked by 1Xei
  • solairesolaire Member
    edited November 2018

Ditched my old KS-1 that was priced at 5.99 ex. VAT just today (used to be 4.99 and is now priced at 3.99). Got a contabo vps instead and couldn't be more happier, better speed at lower cost. Might pick up a Netcup box if they run any good promotions on black Friday, as their networking seems to be a lot better. But for a development / Nextcloud box, it's running great.

Thanked by 2Xei Shazan
  • bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Ovh/KS, Online and next will be Hetzner. Please save my words.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • TimboJones said: Jesus christ, you're the new mailinbox.

Nope, I do not ask for free dealz.. Just having fun..

• @Hukin said:

TimboJones said: Jesus christ, you're the new mailinbox.

Nope, I do not ask for free dealz.. Just having fun..

No, I mean you don't make sense.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@bacloud said:

It already happend, the demand on the auction rised apparently.
    There is no more a 20.17 i7 with 32gig, it costs at least 24EUR now and rising.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

@Neoon said:

@bacloud said:

It already happend, the demand on the auction rised apparently.
    There is no more a 20.17 i7 with 32gig, it costs at least 24EUR now and rising.

So I am too late ;)
    People do not want to work for free, wages are very high in Germany, France, so it is a miracle how they can sell servers so cheap.

• TimboJones said: No, I mean you don't make sense.

Don;t care really. No brights no fun

Thanked by 1eol
  • Not seeing a huge issue here, I have 2x Kimsufi 2Gs that were absurdly underpriced at £35/year inc VAT, now they're just underpriced at £50/year.

The KS-1 actually works out as more expensive, at around £51/year, as they no longer offer a discount for paying yearly (2 free months).

No reason not to keep the 2G, especially considering the stronger single core performance of the Celeron 220 compared to the Atom D425.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

darkimmortal said: No reason not to keep the 2G, especially considering the stronger single core performance of the Celeron 220 compared to the Atom D425.

There have been 4 years as N2800, and not D425.

• @Vova1234 said:

darkimmortal said: No reason not to keep the 2G, especially considering the stronger single core performance of the Celeron 220 compared to the Atom D425.

That's not guaranteed though is it? At point of sale it says D425.

Like with the 2G it was sold as a single core atom, but I got Celeron 220 and many got N2800. It's all the same old set of boxes I think

• You have a 99.7% chance of getting a N2800, but yes: strictly speaking this offer (which was launched years ago as a tiny herd of D425, and the occasional Celeron whenever D425 was out of stock) is not "guaranteed" to provide a N2800.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

@darkimmortal said:

@Vova1234 said:

That's not guaranteed though is it? At point of sale it says D425.

Like with the 2G it was sold as a single core atom, but I got Celeron 220 and many got N2800. It's all the same old set of boxes I think

We have thousands of OVH servers in our team. Now only N2800 drops out.

It seems to me that for foreigners, 15 euros is like going to buy 2 loaves of bread.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited January 2019

Just cancelled of my Kimsufi 2G servers, which has been resold as a KS-1 (judging by the checkservers.ovh email I got)

Sad times for whoever bought that: Celeron 220, >10 years 24/7 HDD hours*, and random panics during maxxing out the NIC

Can't justify keeping it for storage purposes when the SYS ARM servers are so much cheaper per terabyte now, and faster for AES workloads like rsync and vpn

*GG HGST, longest running error-free hard disk I've ever seen

• hzrhzr Member

Vova1234 said: It seems to me that for foreigners, 15 euros is like going to buy 2 loaves of bread.

A decent loaf of bread here is about $8-10 USD

Thanked by 1eol
  • @hzr said:

Vova1234 said: It seems to me that for foreigners, 15 euros is like going to buy 2 loaves of bread.

A decent loaf of bread here is about $8-10 USD

He meant the standard proletariat grade, you know, that doubles as paper rations.

Thanked by 1eol
  • hzrhzr Member

Letzien said: He meant the standard proletariat grade, you know, that doubles as paper rations.

Those are 50% high fructose corn syrup.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @hzr said:

Letzien said: He meant the standard proletariat grade, you know, that doubles as paper rations.

Those are 50% high fructose corn syrup.

The good ones, sure. The others are cardboard and/or roach entrails.

Thanked by 1eol