Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Custom Hosting Shutting Down - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Custom Hosting Shutting Down

Comments

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

We can help. We offer Shared, Reseller, OpenVZ and KVM hosting in Montreal, Canada. Contact our sales team for questions and quote: http://gdbi.pw/contact

Hope the best for Phil.

• @Ho-ost said:
    So is this just servers? What about other services?

The email wasn't clear. And the title of the message was:

URGENT: Immediate closure of VPN nodes coming imminently

Don't know if he meant "VPS Nodes" or if there's some "VPN Nodes" he's shutting down.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

KuJoe said: They're only a few pennies a year if you're not renting them.

Yes and no.

We own our own IP space too, but it's difficult to get more. We have our allocation from APNIC and RIPE, which is kind of peanuts per IP when considering the membership cost. But the real cost is not being able to use those IPs for services that higher earning power.

These days, you join RIPE and at most you get a /22 right? That's only 1,024 IPs, of which you will probably have fewer than 1,000 actually usable.

It's not attractive running ultra low margin services when your scale is limited by IPs. 1,000 IPs at $4 /VM = $4,000 /month turnover. There is really no profit to be made and eventually you do run out of IP and you cant grow any more. For the ultra low value stuff, you need to have some serious scale to actually make any reasonable profit. IPv6 and NAT can solve this problem somewhat. Then your margins can be tiny, and you can grow as much as you like pretty much.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

randvegeta said: There is really no profit to be made and eventually you do run out of IP and you cant grow any more.

It depends on the business plan. ;)

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

KuJoe said: It depends on the business plan.

True. It was always part of our biz plan to offer free VPS. It worked out for us :-)

• I've been a customer of Phil's for a long time now. I got this email this morning as well. This news is both shocking and saddening. I genuinely hope for Phil to make a full and speedy recovery from whatever health problems he is facing.

• It's really sorry when I read this email, had been with them for few years and everything was wonderful. Wish Phil a full recovery.

And I'm also looking for any tiny VPS plans to host a DNS, as well as a lowend KVM plan for about 1-2G memory for webhosting, Canada or West US prefered. Or I may just restore my backups to some random idling VPS as failover.

• Sorry do hear this @MCHPhil hope you feel better soon man.

Here is a pic to help you with this:

• Got the e-mail today as well. All the best @MCHPhil and thank you for all these wonderful years. Any other providers that more or less provide rather than support OpenBSD as MCH very generously has?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@upnatom said:
    Any other providers that more or less provide rather than support OpenBSD as MCH very generously has?

shouldn't it work anywhere?

• Sad news. I'm a long time "idling customer" of MCH and I wish all the best for Phil.

• Just wondering why folks just cares too much about this provider? They has a many negative feedbacks 1-2 years ago. They terminate yearly accounts after 1-2 months without warnings and refuse refunds, all important data was removed. Many users report it.

• @Hukin said:
    Just wondering why folks just cares too much about this provider?

'Provider' is not the same as 'a person' .
    Hate is like cancer, brother.

• vimalware said: vimalware

I don't hate, just provide some facts about them/him. Person cannot be separate from provider, if exactly running by person.

• Unique flex but acceptable

• Sad to see one of the best provider I had go like this. Wish all the best to MCHPhil for a prompt recovery!

For those of you mentioning the bad reviews, MCH was actually very good. Yes they (he) had a rough start here, but I've yet to see another provider offer so much value. 3 major downtimes and 1 IP migration in 3 years, sure, but the performance and the network were excellent, especially for the price. 24$/y for a KVM with 3 vCPU, 1GB RAM, 30GB HDD, 3 IPv4, DDoS protected (OVH).

• A few months back I left them due to downtimes. The only thing I could do during downtime is, open a ticket and wait until Phil answers. If I try replying my own ticket(after 8-10 hours) or try contacting Phil thru a single message here, I used to get a reply like "Dude wait patiently.. or else your service will be gone because of tos violation"!

• Just wondering how to easy to lost trust in that kind of business if starts cheating with own clients with not follow them.

• I'm also very sad to hear this news. I've been with MCH since 2013 and only had to open 10 tickets (3 of which were about setting PTR records). It looks like I didn't open any tickets from 2015-early 2018. Phil is a great guy who has helped me out quite a few times. Sure he had some hiccups with disk failures etc, but you restore from backup and back in business. MCH was top notch in my book. I wish him the best and hope he recovers.

Maybe some day we'll be able to get money out of politics so things like universal healthcare will be realized. It would be great for people to not have to go out of business or bankrupt themselves just to survive an illness.

That said, I had a killer deal with MCH (KVM, 4cpu, 4GB ram, 4 IPv4, 100GB disk, 4TB xfer, very stable, $7/mo). That was my "main" go-to VPS for everything for years. All good things come to an end though...

• @MikeA said:

@upnatom said:
    Any other providers that more or less provide rather than support OpenBSD as MCH very generously has?

It sure does, but it was effortless with MCH becuase they hosted and updated the ISO from my 1st request to have it. I've put in requests with others, which I won't mention, and never got a reply or an excuse. And I don't want to move somewhere I need to go through back channels or hack installs to get frankly any BSD running there is no excuse for not providing an ISO, and if necessary add a disclaimer for limited support.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@Hukin Did you services with them? If you don't then stop being an negative nancy. Another dickish move.

Thanked by 2Xenos [Deleted User]
  • PieNotEvenEaten said: Did you services with them? If you don't then stop being an negative nancy.

Yes I did. If I not has something bad with them I will not talking about bad experience. Just dig about feedback from other users and you can see for yourself. I know you personally hates me for my truth, but I do not want to lie sorry.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2018

How you came to a conclusion that Pie hates you "personally" is beyond me.

But that's okay. This is LET.

Thanked by 2[Deleted User] Aidan
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2018

@Hukin You don't speak the truth everytime. If you would of spoke the truth you would of said I did have services with them and this is what I experienced. Nope you didn't go that route.If i hate you then you wouldn't be here. PLEASE tag me in the reply.

• Just call things by their own names. No lie. May be jokes sometime, but not for now.

• @Hukin said: PieNotEvenEaten said: Did you services with them? If you don't then stop being an negative nancy.

Yes I did. If I not has something bad with them I will not talking about bad experience. Just dig about feedback from other users and you can see for yourself.

@Hukin, MCH is closing down because Phil has financial and health worries. Many people enjoyed his services over the years, but -- yes -- some didn't. This is not the place/thread to voice your dissatisfaction with MCH. If you have something positive to say and want to say it, feel free, but this isn't a review thread where people are evaluating a service.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Hukin, think like this.

You are on your death bed. You've had a good life, you think.

Then your children come to visit you and tell you how fucked up of a dad you were and you should be ashamed.

Now, normally, people say good things to a dying man so that the man can leave the world in peace.

• @upnatom said:

@MikeA said:

@upnatom said:

It sure does, but it was effortless with MCH becuase they hosted and updated the ISO from my 1st request to have it. I've put in requests with others, which I won't mention, and never got a reply or an excuse. And I don't want to move somewhere I need to go through back channels or hack installs to get frankly any BSD running there is no excuse for not providing an ISO, and if necessary add a disclaimer for limited support.

Most KVM providers nowadays allow for custom ISOs (and so OpenBSD is an option), but unfortunately, some still don't, so you should ask beforehand.

• angstrom said: angstrom

I guess now really not matters good or bad, because they going to close down, so no offense.

• Better to nip that narrative in the bud. On one hand he's a provider open to the same scepticism as any other, OTOH he's someone who's indicated major health issues. No point in discussing the hosting merits given the latter.