Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Custom Hosting Shutting Down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Custom Hosting Shutting Down

Just received this email. I’ve been with MCH for several years, sad to see them go. Hope @MCHPhil has a speedy recovery.

—-

Morning,

It's with a heavy heart I must inform you due to a bunch of unforeseen circumstances, I need you to immediately take a backup of your VM. I am unable to continue funding these servers out of pocket monthly. I've had some health issues that have come up in the last few weeks that are preventing me from doing what I need to do to keep the services running. I am extremely sorry for the trouble and wish things were not this far gone. By my understanding, the servers will be available until the 10th. If you would like a refund, due to the issues at hand, please contact me directly at [email protected] and I will get things situated. (No timeline for refunds, this will come out of pocket also.)

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]

Comments

• Oh, wow, not good.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited November 2018

Oh dear. Wish you a full recovery Phil.

With the really short notice, I hope some decent providers here can do refugee offers with free data migration (if requested).

OVH Canada or North America equivalent.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Damn that is short notice.

Thanked by 2Falzo [Deleted User]
  • Just a quick advice:

Aside from the obvious (taking backups), everybody should immediately set their SOA settings in DNS to a small TTL (expire/refresh, I assume) to prepare for a switch over to wherever.

• Sad to see them go. Hoping for a speedy recovery @MCHPhil

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

It’s very short notice, but still possible to migrate plenty of data.

• Hope everything works out OK for @MCHPhil - shame about this as MCH has been solid for years.

• You guys have backups anyway, right?

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

I believe @BharatB is in the right time offering free sysadmin services. Perhaps can ask if any providers are willing to give refugee offers. After that, Qovic can migrate them to new nodes.

• Not surprised as well, OVH resellers will gone with competition with main provider.

• I also hope everything works out well for @MCHPhil health.
    MCH has been my top provider for 5 years and Phil was a great guy to deal with.
    I wish you the best and hope everything works out for you.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Hukin said:
    Not surprised as well, OVH resellers will gone with competition with main provider.

🤔

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

FAT32 said: Perhaps can ask if any providers are willing to give refugee offers

64MB RAM servers for $10 /yr with a dedicated IPv4? Doesn't sound feasible to me.

I would make an open ended offer for anyone on the KVM-256M or higher plans, but I don't know if anyone wants an HK or LT server to replace a Canada server.

Sorry for the troubles you're seeing @MCHPhil . Good luck.

• @Hukin said:
    Not surprised as well, OVH resellers will gone with competition with main provider.

That may be a factor, but it sounds like there are health issues (and other financial worries) in the background.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

It doesn't appear that he was turning profits anyway.

Best to ditch it and recover health.

• get well soon Phil, maybe @gestiondbi is the best possible refugee provider.

edited November 2018

Refugee deal + BF deal mixed.

Wow, that's gonna be a killer in more ways than one. The grand Q is: Who's gonna do it? You won't be making any profit off it for sure. Hell, you'd be lucky to break even.

deank said: Wow, that's gonna be a killer in more ways than one. The grand Q is: Who's gonna do it? You won't be making any profit off it for sure.

If you dont provide IPv4, it's possible for the providers who have their own infra.

We could probably do it in Lithuania without losing money if it weren't for the IPv4 address. I never understand how IPv4 could be provided so cheaply by some providers.

It's always about "if" in human lives, isn't it.

• @randvegeta said: 64MB RAM servers for $10 /yr with a dedicated IPv4? Doesn't sound feasible to me.

In practice, those small KVM plans have been out of stock for quite a while.

What is a little worrying that one can still sign up for cPanel web hosting (also reseller). Perhaps he plans to keep these plans going?

angstrom said: In practice, those small KVM plans have been out of stock for quite a while.

To be fair, even at $4 /month, the 1 IP + paypal fees and overheads basically make it a break even AT BEST type service.

With that in mind, we were running free VPS at VPSBit since 2015. Most nodes are still up and running, consuming resources. Was supposed to shut them all down a few months ago, but couldn't be bothered.

Our free VPS actually has 512MB RAM + IPv4 already. We got about 1,000 free VPS running. Would be alright to switch them all to $4+ /month plans XD.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Wow, this is shocking that he wasn't turning a profit after this many years.

64MB on KVM? Ouch! That just sounds painful... but I'm gonna try it now. :lol:

• @KuJoe It's too bad that you dont allow IRC on your servers, i was about to buy
    the 64mb ram plan :\

• So is this just servers? What about other services?

• @KuJoe said: Wow, this is shocking that he wasn't turning a profit after this many years.

Well, he doesn't really say that he has never turned a profit, but it nevertheless appears that now (recently), there are (have been) financial difficulties (in addition to health issues).

But, yeah, it's a question whether OVH resellers will able to survive in the longer term.

edited November 2018

Better keep IRC off network. Saves money in long term. Not worth all the poo you will eventually be thrown at.

• But it wasnt like 500 users irc, it was like max 5 or 10 eh

Yours may perhaps be genuine, but once it gets known that network A allows IRC, it spreads and it ends in tears for hosts.

randvegeta said: I never understand how IPv4 could be provided so cheaply by some providers.

They're only a few pennies a year if you're not renting them.

deank said: Yours may perhaps be genuine, but once it gets known that network A allows IRC, it spreads and it ends in tears for hosts.

This. We used to allow private IRC servers but kids ruined that quickly, now our clients are enjoying really good uptime. :)