Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Three netcup specials
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Three netcup specials

angstromangstrom Moderator
edited November 2018 in General

Just thought that I would point out three attractive netcup specials that appeared two days ago:

(i) VPS 500 G8 Plus
vServer (KVM), 2 vCores, 4 GB RAM, 300 GB SAS (with Optane™ cache), 40 TB BW: 4,29€/month (which includes German VAT)
Contract period: 1 month; Billing period: 6 months
https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2281

(ii) VPS 1000 G8 Plus
vServer (KVM), 4 vCores, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB SAS (with Optane™ cache), 40 TB BW: 7,49€/month (which includes German VAT)
Contract period: 1 month; Billing period: 3 months
https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2282

(iii) VPS 2000 G8 Plus
vServer (KVM), 8 vCores, 16 GB RAM, 1,5 TB SAS (with Optane™ cache), 80 TB BW: 14,49€/month (which includes German VAT)
Contract period: 1 month; Billing period: 1 month
https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2283

Please bear in mind that netcup have contracts. :-)

I've linked to the German-language pages because I couldn't immediately find the corresponding English-language pages (if they exist).

With respect to the disks, netcup speak of "SSD-Performance" because of the Optane™ cache, but these disks aren't SSDs.

Comments

• Their VPS line sucks.

• @yokowasis said:
    Their VPS line sucks.

because?

• @gol3m said:

@yokowasis said:
    Their VPS line sucks.

because?

Public Knowledge.

Thanked by 3Levi AMXRT pike
  • gol3m said: because?

In general: disgusting billing practices, subpar support. But it's entirely on persons point of view. Someone thinks that netcup is amazing.

• @yokowasis said:

@gol3m said:

@yokowasis said:
    Their VPS line sucks.

because?

Public Knowledge.

Please do better than this, or please refrain from commenting.

• @LTniger said: gol3m said: because?

In general: disgusting billing practices, subpar support.

Even if you believe this, this alone doesn't lead to the conclusion "Their VPS line sucks", which is what @yokowasis claims. So, you too, please do better than this, or please refrain from commenting.

• yokowasisyokowasis Member
    edited November 2018

@angstrom said:

@LTniger said: gol3m said: because?

In general: disgusting billing practices, subpar support.

Even if you believe this, this alone doesn't lead to the conclusion "Their VPS line sucks", which is what @yokowasis claims. So, you too, please do better than this, or please refrain from commenting.

Their root server is amazing (Top 10 on serverscope, I at one time bought 3 of them), but their vps line sucks, it has been discussed before. I am too lazy to search for it, you can search it yourself. Just a heads up for anyone want to buy it. Also it is fine, if nobody believe me

• angstrom said: I've linked to the German-language pages because I couldn't immediately find the corresponding English-language pages (if they exist).

this will take you to the (somewhat) english pages:

https://www.netcup-offers.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2281
    https://www.netcup-offers.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2282
    https://www.netcup-offers.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2283

those offers obviously come with a monthly contract term, not hourly like their usual vserver line-up.
    also billing period is 6-month for the smallest, so you have to prepay and might get refunded if you cancel before that.

keep in mind, that you need to cancel pro-actively within their control panel, otherwise they'll extend the contract automatically and charge you for it.

Thanked by 2angstrom vimalware
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2018

@yokowasis said: but their vps line sucks, it has been discussed before.

Again, please do better than this ("their vps line sucks" isn't an accurate statement).

I am too lazy to search for it, you can search it yourself.

No, that's what you should do if you want to be taken seriously.

Yes, it's no secret that netcup's Root-Servers are their elite product line, whereas their vServers are their (let's say) budget product line, but this doesn't mean that their vServers suck. My personal experience has been positive, but yes, I'm sure that some people have had less-than-positive experiences, but if you want to be helpful, you should at least make the effort to link to a thread in which people complain about the performance of netcup's vServers.

In any case, since the contract periods for the specials above are each for one month, the most that one would "lose" is two months (given the need to cancel at least a month in advance), but I'm pretty sure that these vServers don't suck anyway.

• @Falzo said: this will take you to the (somewhat) english pages:

https://www.netcup-offers.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2281

Ah, yeah, I now see how you found the English-language pages. :smile:

• @yokowasis said: Their root server is amazing (Top 10 on serverscope, I at one time bought 3 of them), [...]

Now, you see, that's a (positive) comment that you can back up.

• @angstrom said:

@yokowasis said: Their root server is amazing (Top 10 on serverscope, I at one time bought 3 of them), [...]

Because I happen to save proof. I don't feel the need to save the info about vserver because I don't really need it.

• @yokowasis said:

@angstrom said:

@yokowasis said: Their root server is amazing (Top 10 on serverscope, I at one time bought 3 of them), [...]

Because I happen to save proof. I don't feel the need to save the info about vserver because I don't really need it.

Then it would have sufficed to say something like "It's too bad that these aren't Root-Servers, because the Root-Servers are better than the vServers!"

For my part, I don't recall significant threads about how netcup's vServers suck, but I may have missed them. (By "significant thread" I don't mean some random poster who writes a random negative comment and then disappears.)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • That 300GB SAS one is exactly what I've been looking for. Danke

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • the second one is close to the last years BF deal 8c/8G/300G at 6.99 vs 4c/8G/750G at 7.49 ... more space gets me thinking ;-)

Thanked by 1beagle
  • @Falzo said:
    the second one is close to the last years BF deal 8c/8G/300G at 6.99 vs 4c/8G/750G at 7.49 ... more space gets me thinking ;-)

Last year's BF deal was great (you were fortunate to get one), but more than twice the disk space may be worth more than the additional (shared) 4 vCPU, depending on one's needs -- not an easy call.

I'm also thinking about the second special, but part of me wants to wait to see what BF may bring. At the same time, the BF specials are often hard to get because of the very limited number, so maybe I should go for the second special while it's still available. Difficult decisions ... :smile:

• angstrom said: but part of me wants to wait to see what BF may bring. At the same time, the BF specials are often hard to get because of the very limited number, so maybe I should go for the second special while it's still available. Difficult decisions ...

hehe, exactly what I was thinking. though I guess the actual offers might be available even after BF - so probably I am just going to wait it out.
    they most likely also run their advent calendar again...

• @Falzo said:
    the second one is close to the last years BF deal 8c/8G/300G at 6.99 vs 4c/8G/750G at 7.49 ... more space gets me thinking ;-)

I'd probably jump at one if it was a RootServer. I'd like to have a not-10-years-old RAID1 platter combo holding stuff I somewhat care about.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @CyberMonday said:

@Falzo said:

I'd probably jump at one if it was a RootServer. I'd like to have a not-10-years-old RAID1 platter combo holding stuff I somewhat care about.

don't you still have 2.50 credit in your account with them? :wink:

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Falzo said:

angstrom said: but part of me wants to wait to see what BF may bring. At the same time, the BF specials are often hard to get because of the very limited number, so maybe I should go for the second special while it's still available. Difficult decisions ...

hehe, exactly what I was thinking. though I guess the actual offers might be available even after BF - so probably I am just going to wait it out.

Also my inclination at the moment.

they most likely also run their advent calendar again...

I'm sure that we'll see a lot of webhosting specials there ... :smile:

• @Falzo said:
    don't you still have 2.50 credit in your account with them? :wink:

Sometimes your weird European jokes confuse me.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Anyone here, got one?

Can you please share the bench?

thanks!

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • I’m the same boat as others. Was going to pick up the VPS 1000 but so close to BF in two minds

• @LeonDynamic said:
    I’m the same boat as others. Was going to pick up the VPS 1000 but so close to BF in two minds

Yeah, it still feels too early to start spending money on server deals. :smile:

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • It seems like the root servers having dedicated cores is the main difference (and probably support) with vservers, as long as you compare two SAS servers:

https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vergleich-root-server-vps.php

If that's the case, and the CPU isn't too oversold and you can use it when needed, the deal seems pretty decent.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • datanoise said: ... and the CPU isn't too oversold and you can use it when needed, the deal seems pretty decent.

yes, that's the case. at least from my experience. there is no limitation on using the shared cores as you want/need/can other then mining is forbidden.

fresh geekbench from that last years BF vserver: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10711811

I'd say nothing to be afraid off in terms of CPU power. even if it would only be 4 cores...

• @Falzo said: fresh geekbench from that last years BF vserver: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10711811

Just did a fresh Geekbench on my old vServer (1 vCore, 1GB RAM) at netcup:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/10712201

(I have: https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1748 )

Thanked by 2Falzo datanoise
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

LTniger said: In general: disgusting billing practices, subpar support. But it's entirely on persons point of view. Someone thinks that netcup is amazing.

I'm that someone.

I wouldn't add benchmarks, I've quite a few boxes with them for various purposes (LibreNMS, borgbackup, status pages, DNS, a small Nextcloud and generally as sandbox to test stuff) since last year and everything is fine so far

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2018

@mfs said: LTniger said: In general: disgusting billing practices, subpar support. But it's entirely on persons point of view. Someone thinks that netcup is amazing.

I'm that someone.

As far as I can tell, the main negativity regarding netcup on LET is due to their cancellation policy, which compared to the cancellation policies of typical low-end providers, is admittedly a bit rigid.

But one should bear in mind that netcup aren't officially represented on LET, nor do they appear to target users of a LET-like mentality.

• I don’t get all the hate towards Netcup for their cancellation process. It’s quite clear and if memory serves correctly it’s even on their control panel the date you need to cancel by.

Obviously correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanked by 3angstrom beagle 3606202