Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH "Premium" Bandwidth Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH "Premium" Bandwidth Question

integritlyintegritly Member
edited November 2018 in Providers

For those of you who have been able to compare both OVH's standard and Premium (or better) bandwidth packages, does their peering/routing take a big hit with their standard package?

Low latency is important to us, and after running a number of traceroutes and ping tests on OVH's test IP, found it to be quite a bit better than most of the competitors we put them up against. Now, since I'm sure their test IP is running on their "Premium Bandwidth," I'm afraid of finding my actual latency to our users once I get a standard box will be much worse.

~$100 USD extra for this "Premium Bandwidth" is not exactly something I'm excited about paying for.

So, hoping someone can steer us in the right direction here on whether this premium stuff is actually worth it, or just some silly marketing gimmick.

Thanks.

Thanked by 1Janevski

Comments

• edited November 2018

Feel free to run MTRs to 176.31.240.194 (privacyinfinity.com)

Edit: It is standard bandwidth.

Thanked by 2integritly vimalware
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Their test servers go over the exact same routes as all of my normal dedicated servers. I have never used their "premium bandwidth" but I have never had any complaints about the actual network or speeds on normal dedicated servers.

Thanked by 1integritly
  • I've always been happy with their regular bandwidth. I didn't know there was even such a thing as premium.

• @PrivacyInfinity said:
    Feel free to run MTRs to [redacted] (privacyinfinity.com)

Edit: It is standard bandwidth.

Thank you! Will run this side by side with theirs to see if there's any difference.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @MikeA said:
    Their test servers go over the exact same routes as all of my normal dedicated servers. I have never used their "premium bandwidth" but I have never had any complaints about the actual network or speeds on normal dedicated servers.

Thanks, that's great to know. Optimal routing is what I'm looking for, so if they're both the same, the standard should be plenty for us.

@willie said:
    I've always been happy with their regular bandwidth. I didn't know there was even such a thing as premium.

Yeah, they have 3 tiers of "Premium Bandwidth," above their standard. It's an addon. More info here:

https://www.ovh.com/world/dedicated-servers/bandwidth-upgrade.xml

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • Ovh has an premium network add-on huh?

Thanked by 1integritly
  • @integritly said:

@MikeA said:

Thanks, that's great to know. Optimal routing is what I'm looking for, so if they're both the same, the standard should be plenty for us.

@willie said:
    I've always been happy with their regular bandwidth. I didn't know there was even such a thing as premium.

Yeah, they have 3 tiers of "Premium Bandwidth," above their standard. It's an addon. More info here:

https://www.ovh.com/world/dedicated-servers/bandwidth-upgrade.xml

Isn't that just more bw to buy labeled with marketing?

Thanked by 1integritly
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Isn’t that add on only supposed to increase the guaranteed network speed, so probably give you a boost while their network’s congested ? That’s what I read from this description.

• TuckerTucker Member
    edited November 2018

Premium/Platinum bandwidth uses cold-potato routing vs hot-potato (see this thread from 2013*) - also looks like US PNIs and certain transit providers are only available for Premium/Platinum bandwidth per this chart though it's a bit hard to read.

Seems to mostly concern routing across OVH's network, with the premium bandwidth they will carry your packets on their network to the closest OVH PoP before handing it off to another network. This only applies to outbound traffic however.

I'm not an OVH customer so take that with a grain of salt, especially given that forum post is from 2013. Their looking glass seems to carry traffic in a cold-potato manner, I have no other source to reference though.

• What type of project it is? do you want to host any online games?

Thanked by 1integritly
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited November 2018

Thanked by 1integritly
  • ChuckChuck Member
    edited November 2018

@Clouvider said:
    Isn’t that add on only supposed to increase the guaranteed network speed, so probably give you a boost while their network’s congested ? That’s what I read from this description.

sound like cell phone LTE data scam.

if you oversold , you would have " network’s congested ". Then you can charge more for premium bandwidth.

Thanked by 1integritly
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Chuck said:

@Clouvider said:

sound like cell phone LTE data scam.

if you oversold , you would have " network’s congested ". Then you can charge more for premium bandwidth.

Well, for me it more sounds like usual oversubscription; which isn't equal to scam. Or do you expect each gigabit server to have a guaranteed gigabit pipe?

Of course I pay my provider to forward traffic (not to drop it). But oversubscription of network links is the only way to maintain reasonable prices. Everything else would be far to expensive. As long as it is done right and not excessive there is nothing wrong with it.

Having a server connected with gigabit which limits the maximum bandwidth and the choice for how many guaranteed megabits you pay, I'd say that's quite fair.

Thanked by 1integritly
  • Hey, so my few cents on this. I did ask the question from OVH regarding their premium bandwidth.

What they advised, was, firstly you'd obviously get an increase in your overall capacity, so from 250mbps to 1gbps? I think? And then also they say it also provides "better" routing to your "end user".

So for me being in NZ, it provided me with close to 500mbps from GRA and RBX servers. Latency was still around 220~250ms

Thanked by 2portspeed integritly
  • portspeedportspeed Member
    edited November 2018

Just providing my two cents which isn't really adding much: I've had the same OVH server for years and nobody has ever complained about the bandwidth but it's BHS and mostly US (Southeast US) customers. I've had this question also and it seems its leaning towards marketing.

Thanked by 1integritly