Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)! - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Needing feedback on our proposed Block Storage, "BuyVM Slabs" ( $5 per 1TB)!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Hello,

Yep :) There's a very high chance you'll be spread automatically anyway.

Blocks will go up tomorrow it looks like.

Francisco

• Francisco said: Blocks will go up tomorrow it looks like.

Woo hoo! I'm on the beta and it's working great so far.

Question: I will probably want to upgrade slab sometime (250 to 500gb). Will it be ok to do that by buying new slab, copying files, then cancelling the old? I'm not sure of issues of trying to enlarge the file system on a slab, particularly if the slab is encrypted.

edited November 2018

willie said: Woo hoo! I'm on the beta and it's working great so far.

Awesome :) I'm hoping it's performing well.

willie said: Question: I will probably want to upgrade slab sometime (250 to 500gb). Will it be ok to do that by buying new slab, copying files, then cancelling the old? I'm not sure of issues of trying to enlarge the file system on a slab, particularly if the slab is encrypted.

You can do that, but growing is fully supported in this setup.

Growing an encrypted FS i'm not sure if/how it works, never done it.

Francisco

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

My plan is some sort of batshit crazy GlusterFS backup system - eventually using the other BuyVM locations when they get slabbed :)

• Francisco said: Awesome :) I'm hoping it's performing well.

Performing great in the beta, will see what happens once the LET hordes are let loose ;)

Francisco said: Growing an encrypted FS i'm not sure if/how it works, never done it.

Yeah I'd want to try it experimentally with another slab first if possible. The data on my current slab is a backup from Hetzner (around 160GB) that took around 10 hours to download because of their crappy transatlantic routing. So I can d/l it again if it gets trashed but I'd prefer to avoid that. What happens when you grow a FS anyway? Something goes and pokes the FS metadata blocks? I think I used ext3. I don't know what the hip FS is these days.

Anyway this looks like a fantastic product for the main BuyVM userbase. I'm a little bit outside of that (most of my stuff is on dedis) but I'm liking it a lot too.

willie said: Yeah I'd want to try it experimentally with another slab first if possible. The data on my current slab is a backup from Hetzner (around 160GB) that took around 10 hours to download because of their crappy transatlantic routing. So I can d/l it again if it gets trashed but I'd prefer to avoid that. What happens when you grow a FS anyway? Something goes and pokes the FS metadata blocks? I think I used ext3. I don't know what the hip FS is these days.

We don't touch the FS at all, all we grow is the block device itself.

The user's on the hook for resizing their partition with parted or gparted or whatever.

Francisco

• @willie you said Hetzner has crappy transatlantic peering in another thread, too, but I am getting 20MByte/s to BuyVM LV.

(19.6 MB/s) - ‘1000MB.test’ saved

Thanked by 1willie
  • @willie said:

What happens when you grow a FS anyway? Something goes and pokes the FS metadata blocks? I think I used ext3. I don't know what the hip FS is these days.

Growing the slab is like you all in a sudden find your hard drive larger than before. Depending on how you format the device, things need to be done differently.

If you use the block device itself: The block device is larger now, so if you use luks, it's just a simple cryptosetup command to resize the encryption layer, and then resize the upper FS layer using resize2fs.

Other options could be more complicated, involving LVM/fdisk etc to change partition sizes. You can post your information here and we might be able to help.

• williewillie Member
    edited November 2018

gol3m said: (19.6 MB/s) - ‘1000MB.test’ saved

I wonder what's going on. I consistently get around 4MB/s or worse. I've tried it from Hetzner cloud servers too and get about the same, though I'll try again.

msg7086 said: If you use the block device itself: The block device is larger now, so if you use luks, it's just a simple cryptosetup command to resize the encryption layer, and then resize the upper FS layer using resize2fs.

I see, this makes sense and looks doable. I just haven't done it before. Thanks.

• @Francisco said:

Xenos said: Just my luck. I didn't get to participate because the node I am on needed a firmware upgrade

You're still getting in the beta :)

Beta users will get until December 1st on the volume for free.

Francisco

Thanks! Will the node I'm on be rebooted soon since the slabs will start being sold today?

• @Francisco do you have an ETA of when the slabs are likely to be available in Lux next year?

• @Francisco:

Still on track to have slabs available today for LV users?

• @Weblogics said:
    @Francisco:

I dont think LV is getting slabs sooner.

• @l2o88j said:

@Weblogics said:
    @Francisco:

LV = Las Vegas.

Francisco mentioned yesterday that slabs may be available today.

• @Weblogics said:

@l2o88j said:

@Weblogics said:
    @Francisco:

LV = Las Vegas.

Francisco mentioned yesterday that slabs may be available today.

I know he would have to reboot the node I am on to apply a firmware update before the slabs could be attached and I wouldn't be surprised if other nodes need the same. He told me this on 10/26, so guessing he ran into some issues.

edited November 2018

Xenos said: I know he would have to reboot the node I am on to apply a firmware update before the slabs could be attached and I wouldn't be surprised if other nodes need the same. He told me this on 10/26, so guessing he ran into some issues.

Will happen shortly :)

Slabs go out tomorrow morning, just finishing the welcome email and all that. Karen didn't want to start selling them overnight as she wanted to make sure I didn't Fran anything up.

On a related note:

[17:46] <%b> storage is a racial slur
    [17:46] <+Digi_vps> `Storage Slabs` Soon™ © ®
    [17:46] <~Francisco> slabs are a social construct
    [17:46] <@tw> .ud slabs
    [17:46] <%adria> tw: From urbanup.com/1682751 (n) Slabs roll in packs and they [roll deep]. A Slab is a [big body] (largely shape [boxed] body). As long as its big; its in. Down in texas we take pride in our rides like every player should.
    [17:46] <@tw> ???
    [17:46] <~Francisco> i identify as a 10TB Slab
    [17:47] <nanoha-chan|On_302490> lol
    [17:47] <~Francisco> i'm big, in charge, and don't need no MSDOS

Francisco

Slabs are now available!

https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?gid=42

Will make an official post on here in a few.

Francisco

• discord IRC is cancer.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2018

@Francisco said:
    Slabs are now available!

https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?gid=42

Will make an official post on here in a few.

Francisco

Most under-thanked post of 2018. Come on people, make some noise for what just changed our lives. We can now have massive storage volumes on slices!!

Yeah it’s been done by many before, but not by anyone offering what Fran is with slices.

Thanked by 2Francisco vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited November 2018

Great day for American and Chinese enthusiasts.

I don't really need a powerful dedicated core though. Will budget shared access E5 KVM with at least 2GB ram make a comeback to the lineup Fran? (eg vps load-avg 0.13)

We have the $3.50/month and $7/month Slices? No good?

Francisco

• williewillie Member
    edited November 2018

I think vimalware is asking for a 2GB KVM for less than $7, by trading away CPU speed for memory.

Thanked by 1vimalware

@willie said:
    I think vimalware is asking for a 2GB KVM for less than $7, by trading away CPU speed for memory.

Ah, no can do boss :(

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

... I might have bought 4. Damn you @Francisco

@hawc said:
    ... I might have bought 4. Damn you @Francisco

I mean, you don't really need food all that often.

Thank you for the business :) Please keep me posted on how performance is. Given the project you mentioned you'll hit the 1Gbit network caps, but in the next while I'd like to integrate true VLAN's for users and I'll do that over the 40gbit interlinks.

Francisco

• Integrating VLANs for /32's won't work.

Also 4.9GB/s is roughly equivalent to one (1) PCI-E SSD, so I hope you have the IOPS to move data around, and hopefully won't collide with user traffic. It'll probably get abused with dd and bonnie tests for quite awhile.

@techhelper1 said:
    Integrating VLANs for /32's won't work.

Also 4.9GB/s is roughly equivalent to one (1) PCI-E SSD, so I hope you have the IOPS to move data around, and hopefully won't collide with user traffic. It'll probably get abused with dd and bonnie tests for quite awhile.

The idea is then users can use whatever IP blocks they want. Since it's all private it doesn't matter and we aren't going to bother filtering the bridges.

We're keeping a close eye on performance to make sure nothing goes sideways.

Francisco

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Out of curiosity whats currently the cheapest known per TB storage server that's possible West Coast USA and how does this compare?

@SplitIce said:
    Out of curiosity whats currently the cheapest known per TB storage server that's possible West Coast USA and how does this compare?

IOFlood's cheaper if you don't care about redundancy. They have a 4x3TB deal around $60/month. It'll perform worse than our cluster.

Francisco

• williewillie Member
    edited November 2018

SplitIce said: Out of curiosity whats currently the cheapest known per TB storage server that's possible West Coast USA and how does this compare?

I'm not tracking as obsessively as before but slabs appear to be about the best you can currently actually get in the western US. There are occasional cheaper limited or promo offers (I got one from Hosthatch last year), but the ones I know of are long since sold out. You can do somewhat better in Europe and in fact most of my stuff is currently at Hetzner.