Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian 9 on OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian 9 on OpenVZ

Hello,

I noticed that with two different hosts none of the Debian 9 OpenVZ images works. I tried their normal Debian 9 image and the inofficial contributed Debian 9 minimal image (64bit). Sometimes the VPS won't start and sometimes the debian 9 installation only gives a lot of erros while trying to use the VPS. Therefore, I wonder if this could be because of an outdated kernel on the hostsystem or are the images faulty? Anyone ever tried the contributed Debian 9 minimal image (64bit)?

thanks!

Comments

• @trexos said:
    Hello,

I noticed that with two different hosts none of the Debian 9 OpenVZ images works. I tried their normal Debian 9 image and the inofficial contributed Debian 9 minimal image (64bit). Sometimes the VPS won't start and sometimes the debian 9 installation only gives a lot of erros while trying to use the VPS. Therefore, I wonder if this could be because of an outdated kernel on the hostsystem or are the images faulty? Anyone ever tried the contributed Debian 9 minimal image (64bit)?

thanks!

They didn't work for me either. I do the following -
    1) Install Debian 8
    2) make sure it's updated - apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade
    3) edit /etc/apt/sources.list to add stretch as the package source
    4) Do another (apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade)
    5) Yay enjoy debian 9

• Strange. I can't really believe that there is no working Debian 9 image for OpenVZ, but apparently a few of my providers don't have them. Btw the kernel version of one of the non-working systems is Linux hostname 2.6.32-042stab126.2 #1 SMP Wed Dec 6 18:08:29 MSK 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@trexos said:
    Strange. I can't really believe that there is no working Debian 9 image for OpenVZ, but apparently a few of my providers don't have them. Btw the kernel version of one of the non-working systems is Linux hostname 2.6.32-042stab126.2 #1 SMP Wed Dec 6 18:08:29 MSK 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

They could be applying security patches via kernelcare.

• @AlexBarakov said:

@trexos said:
    Strange. I can't really believe that there is no working Debian 9 image for OpenVZ, but apparently a few of my providers don't have them. Btw the kernel version of one of the non-working systems is Linux hostname 2.6.32-042stab126.2 #1 SMP Wed Dec 6 18:08:29 MSK 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

They could be applying security patches via kernelcare.

So that means that a newer verison wouldn't be shown there, if they would use KernelCare?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Correct, kernelcare would only show the updated (patched) version on the host-node with the command kcarectl --uname while the uname -r/a etc would show the base (old) kernel version.

• The last time I tried it, LiteServer has a Debian 9 image for OpenVZ (OpenVZ 6) that works.

• h2oh2o Member

Alpharacks has debain9 template, but it didn't work well. You can see that the vps can be boot up but their is no response on ssh port.

• OpenVZ is a shitty hack. Now that this has been answered - Debian 9 is too strongly tied to systemd to work without a custom template, which is already based on an unsupported template.

@trexos said:
    So that means that a newer verison wouldn't be shown there, if they would use KernelCare?

Correct. Realtime patches don't modify uname data; this data isn't generally exposed to supplicant services.