Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wiresix/Colo@ Atlanta Down - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wiresix/Colo@ Atlanta Down

Comments

• UGVPSUGVPS Member

Update posted on WHT by Ryan with coloat.

That is correct, there is currently a power outage at 34 Peachtree impacting our operations at that site.

There were multiple utility failures and we had transitioned to generator after the first, it continued to bounce up and down after that initial fault.

While running on generator the generator experienced a fault and failed.

UPS Battery supply of 15 Minutes was subsequently exhausted after that point.

We are still currently without utility power and are working in parallel on the restoration of both Utility and Generator power.

Our helpdesk is online and available and will be posting further updates directly with clients in our helpdesk.

We have all hands on deck standing by to ensure a speedy recovery as soon as power is restored to the datacenter floor.

Thank you!

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited June 2013

@UGVPS, @eggster, @liquidice and @erhwegesrgsr: I want to offer a very simple, unbiased and balanced perspective. For one, I believe that people love to bash Chris and Chicago VPS just for the hell of it. If this company is so bad, or evil, or I don't know, unreliable, why the heck do people still go back to host with? Just so that they can then be back on LET and complain? Amongst the products that CVPS provides, they also offer budget OpenVZ VPS servers. They also offer higher end products like Xen VPS servers (and prices are decent), however I doubt that anyone here wants to pay for those, right? The bottom line is that when you want to spend less for a VPS than for a coup of coffee don't expect the world from it.... and spend $5 on a ServerSync or Backupsy account and backup your data once in a while... that is if you value it.

• UPS Battery supply of 15 Minutes was subsequently exhausted after that point.

That's just great, there was a little chance I could shutdown my stuff safely in that time....

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@marcm said:
    why the heck do people still go back to host with?

Because they stunt with pricing and that lures in unaware people.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited June 2013

@marcm said: The bottom line is that when you want to spend less for a VPS than for a coup of coffee don't expect the world from it....

Not sure whether that was also aimed at me, as I have a dedi there

• @marcm said:
    UGVPS, eggster, liquidice and erhwegesrgsr: I want to offer a very simple, unbiased and balanced perspective. For one, I believe that people love to bash Chris and Chicago VPS just for the hell of it. If this company is so bad, or evil, or I don't know, unreliable, why the heck do people still go back to host with? Just so that they can then be back on LET and complain? Amongst the products that CVPS provides, they also offer budged OpenVZ VPS servers. The bottom line is that when you want to spend less for a VPS than for a coup of coffee don't expect the world from it.... and spend $5 on a ServerSync or Backupsy account and backup your data once in a while... that is if you value it.

I still don't see where I blamed CVPS in any of my posts, so I don't know why you're lumping me in with everyone else. All I was saying is my VPS is down - again. Thats a fact. My VPS was down last week, and now again this week. I think I have a right to be upset that it is down - I'm not calling for a refund or saying the service sucks - I just plain old think it is bad luck and not good. What is wrong with stating that? I know stuff happens and things are out of people's control.

I backed up my data after my VPS came back online earlier this week, and was checking if my scheduled backups were running OK when I noticed my VPS was down.

Other than last week, I've been perfectly happy with my CVPS.

Anyway - to UGVPS's point, this is getting further and further off topic. If you feel so obliged feel free to message me or post another thread.

I hope the power comes back soon.

• marcmmarcm Member

Not sure whether that was also aimed at me, as I have a dedi from almost half a grand a month there

@erhwegesrgsr didn't know, sorry :)

@joepie91 people also want stuff for next to nothing. Does the expression "something for nothing" ring any bells"? If this wouldn't sell they wouldn't offer it, and if people value their time and data, they will go with something better than budget OpenVZ VPS servers. Still, the last mishap and today's outage aren't CVPS's fault. Of course, this is just my opinion.

• Well, never thought about it, but obviously a power generator needs redundancy too ;-)

• marcmmarcm Member

Sorry for the double post.

@liquidice - nah, I'm just tired of the same old song. It's like people never miss an opportunity to bash CVPS just because it seems trendy. Well, I think that it's getting old. It's like the lambchop song that never ends:

• Well, this is what BBU is for on hardware RAID Cards, I suppose. Hopefully they can get stuff back online quickly!

• @Magiobiwan said:
    Well, this is what BBU is for on hardware RAID Cards, I suppose. Hopefully they can get stuff back online quickly!

Fairly useless when the server gets cut off while processing tons of stuff

• Fair point. At least it will prevent cached writes from being lost. They should start making 1U rack servers with mini-generators installed. Just in case... At least they didn't have this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/08/facebook_cloud_versus_cloud/ happen, like Facebook had happen :P

• marcmmarcm Member

Well, this is what BBU is for on hardware RAID Cards, I suppose. Hopefully they can get stuff back online quickly!

@Magiobiwan lots of people skimp on paying for a proper RAID card, let alone a BBU. Others get the RAID card, turn on Write Back Caching, but they never install a BBU. Guess what happens on the first cold reboot / power failure?

• @Magiobiwan said:
    They should start making 1U rack servers with mini-generators installed. Just in case...

They do!
    http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/BBP.cfm

Thanked by 1marcm
  • erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited June 2013

@marcm said:
    Magiobiwan lots of people skimp on paying for a proper RAID card, let alone a BBU. Others get the RAID card, turn on Write Back Caching, but they never install a BBU. Guess what happens on the first cold reboot / power failure?

Errr... What about MySQL being killed? Like that doesn't cause data loss...

Edit: I run more apps that cache a lot to RAM and lose stuff when you force kill it

Didn't Google request/have a patent on having a PSU inside the server? Regardless whether they do, it's ridiculous to patent that, anyone can come up with that, it's just a pain to maintain large scale.

• marcmmarcm Member

Errr... What about MySQL being killed? Like that doesn't cause data loss...

@erhwegesrgsr that's true. Having a BBU installed is like a minimum requirement.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

ChicagoVPS is now back up in Atlanta

Thanked by 1liquidice
  • @CVPS_Chris - Thanks for the update.

• @Jack said:
    ramnet why do you only appear like once a week then disappear?

Maybe he has a life.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • DalCompDalComp Member
    edited June 2013

Seems power issue resolved, UGVPS is also up.

edit: down again...

• Hope vps.net comes back soon as well.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

It just went down again

• And I was just restarting BlueVM's nodes that hadn't come back up properly too. Wonderful!

• Looks like the datacenter is still having some issues.

• UGVPSUGVPS Member

... and we're down again =/ at this point, im not sure if it's an isolated issue with my provider (CC) or a datacenter wide outage at 34 Peachtree. Let's hope its not another power outage!!

• All of fiberhubs 3 outages combined have been about 1/4 the time of this outage

Yea, I've already had 2 drives drop out of their raid arrays.

edited June 2013

@UGVPS said:
    at this point, im not sure if it's an isolated issue with my provider (CC) or a datacenter wide outage at 34 Peachtree. Let's hope its not another power outage!!

I suspect they fixed their generator and it worked for all of 10 mins before going kaput again.

• I'd suggest waiting to power nodes back up until it can be ascertained whether or not power will actually STAY online for more than 5-10 minutes.

edited June 2013

@Spencer said:
    All of fiberhubs 3 outages combined have been about 1/4 the time of this outage

In fairness, colo@'s 34 peachtree location has never had a power outage since it opened about 3-4 years ago. I know because we have been there since they opened that location day 1.

Things are usually quite rock solid there.