Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Avoid 365NAP. Yet another Joshua Prout Scam
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Avoid 365NAP. Yet another Joshua Prout Scam

MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
edited January 2020 in General

Thanks to @Cryptonite for alerting us of this via LET's Discord...

Joshua Prout is at it again with his latest scam, called 365NAP. Similar to previous scams, he is selling colocation services and stealing customer equipment. This time he has targeted Obelisk crypto miners. You can view the whole story at the Reddit link below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ObeliskHQ/comments/9p9szf/big_concerns_365nap_colo_hosting_obelisk_miners/

As always, be careful out there and make sure you are sending your gear to reliable and well-established colo-providers. Below is more information on Joshua Prout should you require additional character background.

Joshua Prout (Houston/Baytown area, TX)

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/josh-prout-1a0a9b164
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtJoyF3RbPkDSZp7klRFcxQ

Previous scam activity:
https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/82535/is-anyone-else-having-vyprnetworks-issues/p1
https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/95315/gonode5-latest-joshua-prout-scam/p1
https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/119219/latest-joshua-prout-scams
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1643242
https://theadminzone.com/threads/beware-of-jlphost-joshua-jones-joshua-prout-it-network-scammer.136253/
https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/61816/jlphost-itnetworkhost-scammer/p1

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited October 2018

What are the reasons that he is so hard to be charged / arrested?

• Dang. How is this guy still not in jail?

• Hes also a child molester.

• @saibal said:
    Dang. How is this guy still not in jail?

He still has to send images back to the county police every year(?).

They know him well — he’s a registered s*x offender and honestly needs help.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The same reason GVH got away. No concentrated efforts.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@deank said:
    The same reason GVH got away. No concentrated efforts.

GVH got away because the admins of this site were desperate to sell servers and condoned his actions.

Francisco

• @saibal said:
    Dang. How is this guy still not in jail?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited October 2018

This is serious. Can we stick this? I'll do some digging on this guy and report him. Anyone wanna join me getting this guy in jail?

• @MikePT said:
    This is serious. Can we stick this? I'll do some digging on this guy and report him. Anyone wanna join me getting this guy in jail?

Do you know the guy called Jarland aka @jar aka jar.land? He wanted to put Joshua in jail so if you contact him and collaborate that would be awesome.

Who knows, maybe you will like each other so much, you will build a business together or something.

@Yura said:

@MikePT said:

Do you know the guy called Jarland aka @jar aka jar.land? He wanted to put Joshua in jail so if you contact him and collaborate that would be awesome.

Who knows, maybe you will like each other so much, you will build a business together or something.

Thats funny though I hold no hard feelings. I am more than willing to help digging info and report him as well. This guy is damn dangerous and psychotic.

Thanked by 1Wolveix

Known already. Maybe compiling a nice report and send it to the FBI will help though. If multiple people do it they will certainly investigate this guy.

• "Ethnicity: Caucasian"

Based on the photos, I wouldn't have guessed that he was Caucasian ...

• @MikePT said:

Yeah, stick’ied it for the time being.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @angstrom said:

"Ethnicity: Caucasian"

Based on the photos, I wouldn't have guessed that he was Caucasian ...

He identifies himself as a CIS white male for which he apologies.

Thanked by 2Francisco angstrom
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I fear he won’t be caught until vigilante justice takes form. Houston doesn’t have the resources to police traffic.

Thanked by 2MikePT Cryptonite
  • what's the story behind people who put miners on unknown colo datacenters? I am lacking sympathy on what this is about.

• smile said: what's the story behind people who put miners on unknown colo datacenters? I am lacking sympathy on what this is about.

btw, why you put crypto stuff in datacenter ? I can't believe it's cheaper than keeping them at home.

• @jar Time to release the yeti hit squad?

Dammit I did not park your car here either .......

Thanked by 1jar
  • Damn, I reported 365Nap last year when he was trying to get me to help him setup a WISP in Louisiana, lmfao.

• CryptoniteCryptonite Member
    edited October 2018

Hi guys, my account got activated, hurray. Yeah, we customers did not do a thorough DD on 365NAP. Big part of the blame lies with us (and the law enforcement not taking care of that ass@#$%, should have been put at least out of business a long time ago)

Trust was placed in 365NAP by being endorsed by the Obelisk team and some well regarded and trustworthy Sia community members (they are on the receiving end of this scam as well, not only regarding miner hardware and services) You had to dig to find clues, superficially everything looked okay. The fact Joshua uses fake last names does not help as well.

A lot of the 365NAP customers are European I suppose. We chose to colocate in the US because we were faced with huge unexpected import charges. Everyone expected an European distribution channel, thus bypassing those taxes. We had to make a somewhat quick decision to colocate when faced with this fact.

If anyone is interested pursuing legal action after the dust settles, please let me know. Especially @jar and @MikePT seem to have some legal grudges? This guy needs some jailtime. There are at least 3 users including myself considering legal action.
    Did quite some digging on Joshua. Have more information that can be shared in private with trusted people.

I find some solice in the fact he probably faces an arrest warrant soon for not paying his child support. The guy truly is human garbage.

• @Cryptonite said:
    I find some solice in the fact he probably faces an arrest warrant soon for not paying his child support. The guy truly is human garbage.

He collocated his child.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Cryptonite said: I find some solice in the fact he probably faces an arrest warrant soon for not paying his child support

He should be able to cover it when he resurfaces to sell the hardware he stole, and then doesn't even ship it (have your cake and eat it too).

• I have some knowledge I rather not share online. Could be a way to hurt him financially.

• @Cryptonite said:
    I have some knowledge I rather not share online. Could be a way to hurt him financially.

He's hurt multiple people financially several times over but you'd rather show him sympathy? By withholding any information that could help you're enabling him to scam further.

It's clear Dallas police don't care despite the attorney general investigating him previously.

He's a registered sex offender making his location public information as well as any aliases he may possibly be using. I don't know why LET continues to show him so much restraint when it's in regards to posting info on him. He comes around a few times a year and gets people each and every time...

Do everyone a favour and post any helpful information you have rather than withhold it.

Thanked by 1ChrisMiller
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2018

IThinkUFailed said: He's hurt multiple people financially several times over but you'd rather show him sympathy? By withholding any information that could help you're enabling him to scam further.

I think you failed... in understanding him.

He is saying he does not want to for warn him by putting it out in public because he would rather use it to hurt him financially and sharing it in public would likely remove or reduce the impact.

Thanked by 2bugrakoc netomx
  • IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited October 2018

@AnthonySmith said:

IThinkUFailed said: He's hurt multiple people financially several times over but you'd rather show him sympathy? By withholding any information that could help you're enabling him to scam further.

I think you failed... in understanding him.

He is saying he does not want to for warn him by putting it out in public because he would rather use it to hurt him financially and sharing it in public would likely remove or reduce the impact.

You're right I misunderstood but it's not just in relation to him. Other people have refused to share information that could have been helpful and was not posted by people

@MrObvious said:
    Damn, I reported 365Nap last year when he was trying to get me to help him setup a WISP in Louisiana, lmfao.

This for example. He says he reported this last year and no one said anything.

Withholding any information that could potentially help people to not be scammed or bring him to justice for his crimes is wrong.