Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo Review - VPS M SSD - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo Review - VPS M SSD

Comments

• edfoxedfox Member
    edited May 2018

@deer76 said:
    Did you make this one https://serverscope.io/trials/m0x0 ? Otherwise you could try updating it.

Yes that's mine.

• eakeak Member
    edited June 2018

Can you run this benchmark script in Contabo VPS?
    wget --no-check-certificate https://gist.github.com/priyadarshan/1a725ed6b7c6e578ee506dc82b75f547/raw/3da571b0175ea827bdff71244187ae076b2e4e2f/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null | bash

• @eak said:
    Can you run this benchmark script in Contabo VPS?

Took, running.

• System Info

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz
    CPU Cores : 4
    Frequency : 2199.998 MHz
    Memory : 12008 MB
    Swap : MB
    Uptime : 4 days, 15:52,

Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel : 4.13.0-43-generic

Speedtest (IPv4 only)

Location Provider Speed
    CDN Cachefly 11.8MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 10.6MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 10.1MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 9.81MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 528KB/s
    Washington, DC, US Softlayer 1.41MB/s
    Washington, DC, US Leaseweb 10.9MB/s
    San Francisco, CA, US Leaseweb 9.11MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 4.93MB/s
    Hong Kong, China Leaseweb 7.29MB/s
    Singapore Leaseweb 8.62MB/s
    Singapore Softlayer 9.26MB/s

Sydney, Australia Vultr 7.06MB/s
    Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 11.7MB/s
    Germany Leaseweb 11.8MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 11.8MB/s
    France OVH 11.2MB/s
    France Online.net 11.6MB/s
    Frankfurt, Germany Hetzner 11.7MB/s

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 23.7 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 150 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 107 MB/s
    Average I/O : 93.5667 MB/s

Thanked by 1eak
  • I'm very sorru about formatting, tried to use "`" in different ways and quantity but nothing. Moderators, can you please correct my post? And please tell me how to use code tag. Thank you.

• eakeak Member
    edited June 2018

@MarshalChe said:
    I'm very sorru about formatting, tried to use "`" in different ways and quantity but nothing. Moderators, can you please correct my post? And please tell me how to use code tag. Thank you.

no problem. you mark all line from ssh after copy & paste in post. remark that bench result with mouse again then use ctrl+o keys that's done edited.

System Info
        -----------
        Processor       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630L v2 @ 2.40GHz
        CPU Cores       : 1
        Frequency       : 2399.998 MHz
        Memory          : 992 MB
        Swap            :  MB
        Uptime          : 14 min,

OS              : Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS
        Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
        Kernel          : 4.4.0-127-generic
        Hostname        : AMS3-VPS

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
        ---------------------

Location                Provider        Speed
        CDN                     Cachefly        53.1MB/s

• classyclassy Member

Last time I used Contabo the VPS worked great but the packet loss was so bad at times that I couldn’t use SSH. I had to cancel it.

Been considering picking one of those VPSes up again for a few a few weeks now. Would make for a good archiving box.

• @classy said:
    Last time I used Contabo the VPS worked great but the packet loss was so bad at times that I couldn’t use SSH. I had to cancel it.

Been considering picking one of those VPSes up again for a few a few weeks now. Would make for a good archiving box.

When did you use Contabo the last time?I currently got one of their cheaper SSD-based offerings running a few months and thus far I've not had any issues with the network.

• classyclassy Member

@Prime404 said:

@classy said:

When did you use Contabo the last time?I currently got one of their cheaper SSD-based offerings running a few months and thus far I've not had any issues with the network.

Just checked my e-mail and can only find Contabo e-mails from 2015. I either don’t have the newer e-mails anymore OR time went by a lot faster than it felt like! Haha.

• desfiredesfire Member
    edited October 2023

Got mine:

[root@ ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 7.52704 s, 143 MB/s
    [root@~]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    Benchmark started on Sat Oct 13 13:45:40 CEST 2018
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz
    CPU Cores : 6
    Frequency : 2399.998 MHz
    Memory : 19916 MB
    Swap : MB
    Uptime : 1:14,

Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel : 3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64
    Hostname :

Speedtest (IPv4 only)

Your public IPv4 is

Location Provider Speed
    CDN Cachefly 46.1MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 1.33MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 7.92MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 7.09MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 9.85MB/s
    Washington, DC, US Softlayer 13.0MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 2.63MB/s
    Singapore Softlayer 5.63MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 16.6MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 19.7MB/s

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 112 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 107 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 108 MB/s
    Average I/O : 109 MB/s

wrong thread.. but well.. hopefully it is useful.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited October 2018

The offer too good to be true.

• CorolarioCorolario Member
    edited October 2018

Is it possible to install O.S. from my own .ISO?
    Thank you!

• @Corolario said:
    Thank you!

Unfortunately it's not possible.

• @Prime404 said:

@Corolario said:
    Thank you!

iirc support once told me it is possible if you send them the iso and they do it manually.

• @Ympker said:

@Prime404 said:

@Corolario said:
    Thank you!

iirc support once told me it is possible if you send them the iso and they do it manually.

I doubt they would mount stuff like Windows ISO's though.

• @Prime404

Time to get banned :D

Name your ISO freebsd_11_custom_snapshot.iso

• Hello everyone, I am from China and want to buy this VPS, but I do not know how fast the visit is in China. Is there any good Samaritan who can provide a website link for me to test? Thank you

• @LarryLi said:
    Hello everyone, I am from China and want to buy this VPS, but I do not know how fast the visit is in China. Is there any good Samaritan who can provide a website link for me to test? Thank you

Site's performance depends on many factors. So here is the dummy http://173.249.20.61/. I suppose you can do all your checks with it.

Thanked by 3torrbox LarryLi gol3m
  • LarryLiLarryLi Member
    edited October 2018

@MarshalChe said:

@LarryLi said:
    Hello everyone, I am from China and want to buy this VPS, but I do not know how fast the visit is in China. Is there any good Samaritan who can provide a website link for me to test? Thank you

Site's performance depends on many factors. So here is the dummy http://173.249.20.61/. I suppose you can do all your checks with it.

Thank you very much
    The speed is good, I am going to buy first, put a website to test

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Let's welcome @contabo_m among us. Hope they will stay active and answer questions that arise in the future :)

Thanked by 3poisson uptime Shazan
  • contabo_mcontabo_m Member, Patron Provider

@Ympker said:
    Let's welcome @contabo_m among us. Hope they will stay active and answer questions that arise in the future :)

Thanks @Ympker ! Great work you have done so far, thanks a lot for that. Nice to be here and we'll try our best to stay active from now on.

Thanked by 3Ympker uptime Shazan
  • kidrockkidrock Member

@contabo_m Do you have any plan available with half or lesser configurations and price below VPS S SSD?

• contabo_mcontabo_m Member, Patron Provider

@kidrock said:
    @contabo_m Do you have any plan available with half or lesser configurations and price below VPS S SSD?

Unfortunately not, with regard to VPS we can only provide the offers displayed on our website. It is not possible to further customize the hardware specs of our VPS at the moment. Should this ever become an option in the future, we will of course inform you via our website/blog/social media.

Thanked by 2kidrock Ympker
  • contabo is the biggest scammer. when you buy a server after a few days they send you a spam email. mostly we not check spam/junk box emails. after 2 days they close the server and ask for 30 euro for handling abuse report. this is not fair. don't buy a server from contabo.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2019

@shawkataliae said:
    contabo is the biggest scammer. when you buy a server after a few days they send you a spam email. mostly we not check spam/junk box emails. after 2 days they close the server and ask for 30 euro for handling abuse report. this is not fair. don't buy a server from contabo.

Joined today.
    Anyway, just...you know?!...
    Don't abuse servers?

Thanked by 2poisson angstrom
  • poissonpoisson Member

@shawkataliae said:
    contabo is the biggest scammer. when you buy a server after a few days they send you a spam email. mostly we not check spam/junk box emails. after 2 days they close the server and ask for 30 euro for handling abuse report. this is not fair. don't buy a server from contabo.

From your language, the problem is 99.9% you.

Continue to buy Contabo servers please.

Thanked by 2Ympker angstrom
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@poisson said:

@shawkataliae said:

From your language, the problem is 99.9% you.

Continue to buy Contabo servers please.

@shawkataliae also cross-posted to https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2978823/#Comment_2978823 .

• @Ympker said:
    ^^ Maxing out cpu cores at 100% is allowed.

@Ympker said:

@Naxid said:
    Does somebody knows something about the cpu usage? Don't want to burst it 24/7 but are bursts allowed ?

Contacted their support. You are allowed to fully use them and ofc also burst. If you are continuously running at 100% you may encounter performance issues as cores are still ( virtual)shared.

I too contacted the support and got a different reply.

My question:

2) In the 100% SSD VPS series, can I use 100% power of the cpu cores continuously? If not, what are the restrictions?

Reply I got:

Regarding your second question we have to tell you that a VPS is not intended to be used at 100% CPU usage all the time. This is because it is a shared hosting. If you need the full performance all the time you have to go with one of our Dedicated Server:

Kamal

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2020

@KamalW said:

@Ympker said:

@Ympker said:

@Naxid said:
    Does somebody knows something about the cpu usage? Don't want to burst it 24/7 but are bursts allowed ?

Contacted their support. You are allowed to fully use them and ofc also burst. If you are continuously running at 100% you may encounter performance issues as cores are still ( virtual)shared.

My question:

2) In the 100% SSD VPS series, can I use 100% power of the cpu cores continuously? If not, what are the restrictions?

Reply I got:

Regarding your second question we have to tell you that a VPS is not intended to be used at 100% CPU usage all the time. This is because it is a shared hosting. If you need the full performance all the time you have to go with one of our Dedicated Server:

Kamal

What's wrong with that though? Yes, you can use and boost your cores the way you like it but they are kindly informing you that a VPS is still a shared environment so if everyone goes 100% 24/7 you may experience a different performance than if you rented a Dedicated Server. Hence the recommendation to get a dedi if you need to rely on 24/7 100% performance. With a VPS, noisy neighbours can still ruin the fun for you.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

@KamalW said:

@Ympker said:

@Ympker said:

@Naxid said:

My question:

Reply I got:

Kamal

What's wrong with that? Also it's 100% SSD and not 100% resource. Means servers will have SSD and not hybrid with HDD cache.

And they are right that you should buy a dedicated server instead if you want 100% CPU resources all time

Thanked by 1Ympker