Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HiPerformance serial issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HiPerformance serial issue

I am running into a small problem with an hivp container. My instance is down and will not boot.

And an attempt to start a serial console session produces the following. I am confused, I have been able to run a serial console session when experiencing issues in the past with virtual containers to fix problems. Is this situation any different simply because my container will not boot? Below output is when attempting to start a serial console session. I am assuming the container referred to is my host machine? Or am I off base here ..

"..
container is not running
connection closed"

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Container is not running, thus connection has been closed.

Contact your host.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • @deank said:
    Container is not running, thus connection has been closed.

Contact your host.

As I suspected, I have a ticket in, believe is for their New York facility, can't remember, Thanks!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Um, no? You didn't suspect it. You were told. It's in the error message.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

The serial console will not run for OpenVZ or LXC containers (any containers) if the container itself is not running, unlike true virtualisation (HVM/KVM) it is not a true out of band console intended to emulate physical access.

So it could either be an issue with the container/container config preventing it from booting or there is a problem with the service on the physical hardware node or the physical hardware node is down.

Your only option at this point is to wait for a reply to the ticket.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Performance issues aside, their support generally respond pretty quickly. So they should be able to sort you out soon.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited October 2018

@deank said:
    Um, no? You didn't suspect it. You were told. It's in the error message.

I don't speak in absolutes, that being said, I was not sure what the exact problem was, if my own configuration had caused a greater problem, or some thing else I have not foreseen, spoken of here, or considered, but thanks! Oh and I am more of a star trek fan, but that response seemed pertinent after the years I have spent dealing with server issues. ;) [edit] as an update I am still offline and can not boot. Hoping this gets resolved soon. Thanks to all for the response, I have enjoyed my service with HiFormance so far.

• h2oh2o Member

I guess your vps is on Kernel3.x node. I recommend that you try to open a ticket to recreate your vps on other node. Because that node has some bugs, one of the phenomena is what you said.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

The new Star Trek was not to bad actually

• Yes and Yes, I have no answer still but they have not let me down yet so hoping.

• @natestamm said:
    Yes and Yes, I have no answer still but they have not let me down yet so hoping.

• "..

Hello NATHAN,

It seems the VPS has corrupted. It will need to be reinstalled in order to get it back up and running.

Best Regards,

.."

This is the reply I have as far as a latest update goes. This is also distressing, seems more like a deflection.
    But with all fairness I am of of course prepared to re provision. But it seems I being left with little choice here.
    Any one have any ideas for a response that might result in a fix..? this makes me a sad panda. /Sigh

• ie any suggestions I can make or processes that could be run on their end ? i had not touched this instance for weeks. it just is now apparently "corrupt". would love any ideas from the comm ,

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@natestamm said:
    ie any suggestions I can make or processes that could be run on their end ? i had not touched this instance for weeks. it just is now apparently "corrupt". would love any ideas from the comm ,

Just ask for details what exactly do they mean by corrupt ?

If it's KVM try the rescue mode to recover data and if it's OVZ ask them to enable quick backup so that you can download your data both these features are available in SolusVM

• @HostEONS said:

@natestamm said:
    ie any suggestions I can make or processes that could be run on their end ? i had not touched this instance for weeks. it just is now apparently "corrupt". would love any ideas from the comm ,

Just ask for details what exactly do they mean by corrupt ?

If it's KVM try the rescue mode to recover data and if it's OVZ ask them to enable quick backup so that you can download your data both these features are available in SolusVM

Will do thanks, I would have hoped without being able to access a serial session they might recognize that the problem was likely not a fault of mine or the data I have stored but but all I got was their recc to re prov, just bums me out is all. Thanks for the tip on Solus!

• What bothers me is what I did or did not do to cause the vps to become corrupt, Here is the message received trying to access a serial session:

Last login: Fri Oct 12 10:17:33 2018 from myvm.hiformance.net
    Container is not running
    Connection closed

I am not sure why Matt put it off to my "vps being corrupted". I'm not arguing his point, just upset that it seems to not be a fault of mine. If I did not have the extra funds stored with them for future billing I would probably switch hosts. Never had a "corrupted VPS" like this.
    Which actually seems to be mutually acknowledged as a problem with the server instance, Thanks for tips

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited October 2018

Isn't it easier to contact whoever host your server to find out what really happened?
    Is this your host?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/152776/hiformance-shit-can-lowendtalk-admin-step-in/p1

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@natestamm said:
    What bothers me is what I did or did not do to cause the vps to become corrupt, Here is the message received trying to access a serial session:

Last login: Fri Oct 12 10:17:33 2018 from myvm.hiformance.net
    Container is not running
    Connection closed

I am not sure why Matt put it off to my "vps being corrupted". I'm not arguing his point, just upset that it seems to not be a fault of mine. If I did not have the extra funds stored with them for future billing I would probably switch hosts. Never had a "corrupted VPS" like this.
    Which actually seems to be mutually acknowledged as a problem with the server instance, Thanks for tips

Try to reboot the VPS and see if it gets online at all or not ?

Also ask your provider to enable Quickbackup