Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPShared 2 day review - will never use again or recommend
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPShared 2 day review - will never use again or recommend

I signed up to VPShared after seeing their offer on here. I was looking for a cheap way of hosting some Wordpress sites that currently have no significant traffic. The basic offer was this:

256MB RAM ★ 5GB Disk (SSD RAID 10), 250GB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps, 1 IPv4, cPanel - $5/yr

I was also considering Xinix and Websound but two things appealed to me about the VPShared offer:

1. They offer a 7 day refund if you're not satisfied
  2. The deal included a dedicated IPV4 address

I had also used Virmach in the past for a Windows server and it had been solid. I now use Hyonix who are awesome, slightly cheaper and better server specs.

Anyway, I bought four of these plans for four domains I wanted to host and paid the $20 invoice.

So, first of all I ran into some problems installing Let's Encrypt certificates on the sites. I have to say their support was very responsive and sorted the issues in a reasonable time frame.

After the basic Wordpress install I started setting up two of the sites with the Tagdiv Newspaper theme and 6 plugins. This is when cracks started to appear and I got a resource warning for one of the domains. With the second domain it wouldn't even install the theme demo content and I was stuck.

I raised the issue with support and again they were responsive but didn't provide any solution. Fair enough, clearly the hosting specification was not good enough to run that particular Wordpress theme. Lesson learned and back to VPS world I go.

I raised a support ticket to cancel the 4 hosting plans and notified them of my request for a refund.

So here's the response to my request for a refund...

_I'm sorry, but we only provide a single refund per customer, for a single service & payment combination that qualifies. Any upgrades or addons generally do not qualify for a refund. You've requested a refund for multiple services. Which would you prefer to be refunded? Please keep in mind that if you placed a cancellation request for any service, the service will cancel at the end of the term by default, even if you do not receive a refund.

Since we cannot refund all services, please do let us know if you would like assistance in using your service, if you're having any issues._

So, bizarrely only offering to refund one of the service plans even although they were all ordered together and paid via one invoice.

I responded with this....

_Hi xxxx,

These services were ordered together which can be seen via the invoice for $20. The services are identical and not fit for my purpose. You clearly stipulate a refund period of 7 days which I am within. This is common sense and any refusal to issue a refund is just poor business and customer service on your part.

Please advise and clarify._

To which they responded with...

_The 7-day refund period is for a single service. This is mentioned both in our terms and in the summary that appears on the checkout page.

I've attached the relevant excerpt from our terms as well as a screenshot of the summary on the checkout page.

J) Refund Policy: VirMach will offer a full refund for any Services requested to be discontinued within 7 days of purchase; however, exclusions apply as follows:

This guaranteed refund only applies to the first refund for the first and single payment on a single Service that the Customer requests, limited per client, per household. This guaranteed refund does not include any “One-time Setup Fees” or “Monthly Additions” ordered. Afterward, VirMach will handle refund requests on a case-by-case basis at our sole discretion;_

This is just abject and piss poor customer service all for the sake of a measly $20. Even the wording in their own quoted terms and conditions highlights that...

Afterward, VirMach will handle refund requests on a case-by-case basis at our sole discretion;

Yet common sense doesn't prevail and they don't believe this situation qualifies.

Will never recommend and will avoid like the plague.

Comments

• vovlervovler Member
    edited October 2018

You have used all of your resources by installing heavy plugins. How are you not satisfied with the service? The service that they provided to you was flawless. You knew that you were only getting 256MB of RAM.

Also their TOS mention that it's only one service.

@cooper said:
    on a single Service that the Customer requests

• HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

Most companies do offer refunds for the first sale only.

I myself offer refunds for the first service on any selected server, but any 2nd or 3rd services won't be refunded unless its a problem from our end Eg. Unplanned downtime.

It may be a little scummy, but virmach had all the rights to enforce their terms of service as its stated and not hidden.

Lastly, the account you received had a 256 mb ram limit. I'm pretty sure this was the limit you hit with your WordPress installation. If that is really the case then you shouldn't really be complaining, because it was already stated there.

If you weren't sure of the limit, you should had bought one package, test your multiple themes first before purchasing 4 instantly especially since you were a virmach customer and was already aware of their terms of service.

To me, I do not see anything wrong that virmach did

• Does VPShared have same owner as VirMach?

• coopercooper Member
    edited October 2018

@vovler said:
    You have used all of your resources by installing heavy plugins. How are you not satisfied with the service? The service that they provided to you was flawless. You knew that you were only getting 256MB of RAM.

I wouldn't call 6 plugins heavy. I have run this setup on 512Mb previously and it worked. I wanted to try a lower specification to see if it met my needs. In other words experiment which is a popular activity amongst anyone in the web hosting dev/ops community e.g will these resources stretch to this particular setup. I'm not unique in that regard.

I thought I was protected by the 7 day money back guarantee and did not read the nitty gritty. Most people would tend to take that offer at face value.

I concede the point @Hostlovin makes about ordering one setup and taking it from there though.

However, in this situation it's not hard for the provider to do the right thing. If I took this approach to clients in my line of work I wouldn't have a roof over my head.

• @Chuck said:
    Does VPShared have same owner as VirMach?

As far as I'm aware VPShared is owned by Virmach.

• HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

@cooper I guess the line of work differs depending on the situation.

For virmach and their cheap prices, it doesn't make sense for them to invest their time in clients who did not read their tos.

To them, you not being a client or making this forum thread doesn't matter, its a win win for them.

If you never buy from them again, it wouldn't be a loss to them as most likely you might break another tos and make more tickets that waste their time.

For people who read this thread will understand that future customers need to read their terms of service properly.

Virmach would much rather focus their manpower on solving proper issues than this.

If they refund you for this issue, people will think rule breaking their tos is fine and they would start breaking rules and asking for support or making forum posts. In which virmach may or not respond. If they choose to respond ( as what I expect you want them too eventually ),, they are wasting manpower to solve an issue that was based on someone violating the terms of service. The overall quality of the service itself would drop, as virmach will have to deal with more of this on a case by case basis.

As you said they are dirt cheap. Can they handle many more posts or customers like this without compromising their service?

Thanked by 1desfire
  • Virmach is for those who know their stuff. You aren't even supposed to open ticket if you have problem with your product and have no idea how to solve it.

• I don't know if they still do, but virmach used to offer a free vpshared plan to virmach vps customers. I have one that I haven't gotten around to using (someday though). That would have been a good way to experiment, if you have an active virmach vps.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

So they are piss poor because you didn't read the TOS? But you did get a refund for one service. I am sorry you should of just got one plan to see if it was going to work for you first! Common sense

• Thanks for sharing, won't give a cent to this provider.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

6 plugins are already too much for a vps with 256mb ram.

• All I read was "I asked for managed support on an unmanaged package and then got mad when I couldn't load down my VMs with RAM hungry applications so I put in a cancellation request on all of them instead of simply upgrading my RAM."

Thanked by 2vovler masteri
  • That Tagdiv theme is not lightweight at all, and they only offer "30% of shared CPU". Also if you are going to "test" a provider you don't order 4 packages in the first round.

deank said: 6 plugins are already too much for a vps with 256mb ram.

It's about shared hosting if I'm not wrong.

Thanked by 1TimboJones

Even worse then.

Thanked by 1imok
  • The tagdiv theme, why do you use it?

• Clearly some jaded service providers commenting who haven't a feckin clue about customer service. The moment you start to display contempt for your customer base or devalue their feedback is the day you should get out of business.

The issue was with the 'non obvious' terms attached to the 7 day money back guarantee. I'm not 'rain main' and like the majority of the population would tend to take these statements at face value. So, your being disingenuous if you've commented and rigorously check the detailed TOS before signing up to any service, hosting or otherwise.

In terms of upgrading there is a point where it doesn't really make sense and I'm better off going back to a CX11 instance at Hetzner but they only offer Finland and German locations when I really want US or UK for a bit of diversity.

I had this setup running on a 512Mb DO droplet successfully. I think I also experimented with Ho-ost at one point on a shared hosting plan and again no major issues, apart from it being slow which is acceptable for my use case. So unless you've experimented with the exact same plugins, theme and types of hosting environment I've tried this on, you're just running your mouth and not adding to the conversation.

The provider has kindly messaged me and offered a free single term upgrade to my packages which is generous. I have asked them if they think it worthwhile before taking them up on it as at some point you've just got to bite the bullet and accept you can't go lower than a VPS for some setups.

• You are comparing 512 MB RAM VPS to a 256 MB shared VPS hosting.. And crying knowing it fail on your setup..

• @chocolateshirt said:
    You are comparing 512 MB RAM VPS to a 256 MB shared VPS hosting.. And crying knowing it fail on your setup..

No, I'm not. If you can't comprehend the basics of a thread just don't comment.

I've already stated the basic setup worked on a DO droplet and on a similar type of shared host instance with ho-ost. The reason I wanted to try Vpshared was the lure of an unshared IP.

This has feck all to do with whether it worked or not. I'd prefer it worked but if it doesn't then so be it. Move on.

If the provider had not had a money back guarantee I wouldn't have cared. I would have just left it and not renewed the services after a year. However the provider does have a money back guarantee but the detail of that guarantee has a really shit clause. I am calling out that clause.

This is a review sub-forum. My comments have relevance to anyone considering services from a range of shared hosting providers.

Simples.

• @cooper Just to clarify: you’re comparing a VPS to a shared cPanel plan (w/ dedicated IP)?

• @doghouch said:
    @cooper Just to clarify: you’re comparing a VPS to a shared cPanel plan (w/ dedicated IP)?

I'm not comparing at all. The reasoning behind my needs are irrelevant. The service provider advertises a 7 day money back guarantee. It has a poor clause that if common sense applied should not have been valid in my case.

However, since you asked. I'm trying to find the baseline for this particular setup with that theme and those plugins and minimal web traffic.

Before I tried Vpshared I knew it had worked on DO with 1 CPU and 512MB. I also knew it worked with Ho-ost (Shared-1) which is half the price of VPShared. It's a bit slow but works well enough for my use case.

I saw the VPShared offer with the dedicated IP and wondered if I could get a slight edge on my set-up with Ho-ost.

I could have been planning to launch a mission to mars from a shared Cpanel instance backed up by an abacus farm, it really doesn't matter. If you advertise a 7 day money back guarantee, honour it.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • TLDR.
    OP was looking to find out the minimum specs for his website, but wants other people to pay for his research and mistakes. But never thought about actually asking that very same people if they were willing to finance his research, then gets mad when told they have nothing to do with his research.

@op, instead of creating this topic, maybe you could have reached out to the provider and ask them if they were willing to take back those 4 services and give you one that you actually know that fits your needs.

Thanked by 2willie FlamesRunner
  • @404error said:
    TLDR.
    OP was looking to find out the minimum specs for his website, but wants other people to pay for his research and mistakes. But never thought about actually asking that very same people if they were willing to finance his research, then gets mad when told they have nothing to do with his research.

@op, instead of creating this topic, maybe you could have reached out to the provider and ask them if they were willing to take back those 4 services and give you one that you actually know that fits your needs.

Utter pish. Jog on.

TLDR:

Service provider advertises 7 day money back guarantee. Fails to honour statement by pointing to non-advertised sub clause and wriggling out of the guarantee on a shitty technicality.

I've had at least 2 refunds in similar circumstances from other providers on this forum alone. In both cases the service providers offered the refund without me asking after I had worked through various possibilities with them.

• @cooper said:

@404error said:
    TLDR.

Utter pish. Jog on.

TLDR:

Service provider advertises 7 day money back guarantee. Fails to honour statement by pointing to non-advertised sub clause and wriggling out of the guarantee on a shitty technicality.

I've had at least 2 refunds in similar circumstances from other providers on this forum alone. In both cases the service providers offered the refund without me asking after I had worked through various possibilities with them.

No one test a service by buying four units, people test by buying one, then if it fits the bill, then people buy more.
    You on the other hand, expect providers to hand out to you refunds at the speed of your whims, so you thought, "why not buy all 4 now, I'm not risking anything, fk it I'll get it all now, play with it and then make them suck it". You dear sir are one of those clients that force companies to implement stricter rules for everyone.

There's a saying in my country that a rough translation would be something like "the innocent pay for the guilty" What it means is that because of the abuse of a few, everyone pays.

The reason why you want a refund shouldn't even get you one, let alone 4. Be responsible for your own decisions.

• @404error said:

@cooper said:

@404error said:
    TLDR.

Utter pish. Jog on.

TLDR:

No one test a service by buying four units, people test by buying one, then if it fits the bill, then people buy more.
    You on the other hand, expect providers to hand out to you refunds at the speed of your whims, so you thought, "why not buy all 4 now, I'm not risking anything, fk it I'll get it all now, play with it and then make them suck it". You dear sir are one of those clients that force companies to implement stricter rules for everyone.

There's a saying in my country that a rough translation would be something like "the innocent pay for the guilty" What it means is that because of the abuse of a few, everyone pays.

The reason why you want a refund shouldn't even get you one, let alone 4. Be responsible for your own decisions.

Your logic is completely flawed. What on earth do you think a 7 day money back clause is for? What do you think people do during a 7 day grace period? Polish their invoice. Sit on their hands. No, of course not. It's a popular advertising technique and for good reason. It works for both sides.

The situation you are describing would apply to someone continually abusing 7 day free trials by signing up with different email addresses. Or being duplicitous in some other manner.

The keyword phrase "7 day money back guarantee hosting" returns 292 million results in Google. I suppose you're going to tell me all those companies are in the minority with their weird methods of establishing client trust and trying to foster long term relationships with their customers.

edited October 2018

OP must be blood related to @eramax .

Both completely lack common sense 101.

• @cooper said:
    Your logic is completely flawed. What on earth do you think a 7 day money back clause is for?

To test the service, not to buy 4 before testing it.
    Also, the service is to be tested according to what you buy, the 7 days money back is so you can see the provider delivers what they promised to deliver. It looks like VPShared delivered what you they were supposed to. It's your fault that you didn't buy a service that fits your requirements, not theirs.
    so while the 7 days money back guarantee is nice to cover that scenario, it sure ain't nice to take advantage of it the way you want to.

@cooper said:
    The keyword phrase "7 day money back guarantee hosting" returns 292 million results in Google. I suppose you're going to tell me all those companies are in the minority with their weird methods of establishing client trust and trying to foster long term relationships with their customers.

I'm going to tell you that those companies expect their newly found inspired clients to test their service by buying one. Not whatever stock they feel like to then return it.

Cause ya know, to have stock, they need to invest in their projects. It's up to you to invest in yours.

• @404error said:

@cooper said:
    Your logic is completely flawed. What on earth do you think a 7 day money back clause is for?

To test the service, not to buy 4 before testing it.
    Also, the service is to be tested according to what you buy, the 7 days money back is so you can see the provider delivers what they promised to deliver. It looks like VPShared delivered what you they were supposed to. It's your fault that you didn't buy a service that fits your requirements, not theirs.
    so while the 7 days money back guarantee is nice to cover that scenario, it sure ain't nice to take advantage of it the way you want to.

@cooper said:

I'm going to tell you that those companies expect their newly found inspired clients to test their service by buying one. Not whatever stock they feel like to then return it.

Cause ya know, to have stock, they need to invest in their projects. It's up to you to invest in yours.

No, again you are incorrect. I had a prior relationship with Virmach when I had used them for Windows hosting. The service I experienced was solid and as a result they established trust with me. Key point is that I was not coming to them cold.

I had also tested my use case with a competing service (Ho-ost) and it worked. Due to that established trust and the fact that my setup already worked on a competitors similar and cheaper offering it is a reasonable assumption to expect similar results.

But crazy old me took leave of his senses and ordered a whopping $20 of services from a provider who had already gained my trust whilst a cheaper competitor had already passed a proof of concept.

I need to stop taking advantage of these poor hosts and conduct 6 month field tests for $5 shared hosting plans.

• 404error404error Member
    edited October 2018

@cooper said:
    No, again you are incorrect. I had a prior relationship with Virmach when I had used them for Windows hosting. The service I experienced was solid and as a result they established trust with me. Key point is that I was not coming to them cold.

I had also tested my use case with a competing service (Ho-ost) and it worked. Due to that established trust and the fact that my setup already worked on a competitors similar and cheaper offering it is a reasonable assumption to expect similar results.

But crazy old me took leave of his senses and ordered a whopping $20 of services from a provider who had already gained my trust whilst a cheaper competitor had already passed a proof of concept.

I need to stop taking advantage of these poor hosts and conduct 6 month field tests for $5 shared hosting plans.

What am I wrong about exactly?

Let me recap your posts for ya.

• You decided to go ahead an buy 4 similar services from VPShared,
    • They delivered exactly what you requested and paid for.
    • Later you found out that the service specs you chose, weren't enough for your project and decided to ask a refund.

Nowhere in here VPShare failed to deliver or ill advice you. This is totally on you.
    It doesn't matter what other providers did for you, they could have offered you their sister as part of a 5 bucks package, that doesn't mean that you get to abuse other services.

• @404error said:

This.

I've never once said the service provider failed to deliver on the product I ordered.

Abuse? You've descended into the ridiculous.

I've requested a refund from a supplier who I've dealt with before and who offers and advertises a 7 day money back guarantee.

I've also conducted due diligence with a similar product from a competing supplier with absolutely no problems.

Ok, time for the next shill or ringer.

• @cooper said:

@404error said:

This.

I've never once said the service provider failed to deliver on the product I ordered.

Which is exactly why you're abusing the refund policy when you request to be refunded for the 4 services they properly provided to you at your request.

@cooper said:
    Abuse? You've descended into the ridiculous.

I've requested a refund from a supplier who I've dealt with before and who offers and advertises a 7 day money back guarantee.

I've also conducted due diligence with a similar product from a competing supplier with absolutely no problems.

Ok, time for the next shill or ringer.

Shill? no my friend, I'm simply someone that doesn't like people like you abusing providers and messing it all up for the one's like me.

The supplier adverts a 7 day money back guarantee to one service, it's not for you to order at will to then ask for multiple refunds, that's where the word "abuse" gets into the conversation.
    By your own addition, the provider delivered what you asked for, you simply asked for the wrong thing and now want the provider to take the loss for you. Time for you to own your decisions.

Man up, and play with your own money.