Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

netcup - did not follow cancellation procedure and now keeps on receiving invoices - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

netcup - did not follow cancellation procedure and now keeps on receiving invoices

Comments

• edited October 2018

@eramax, are your VPS still active until now?

• ErawanArifNugroho said: Previously, i saw a TOS that cancellation needed a mail sent to them, or some form to sign and mail to them.

There is a button and you have to click it with 30 days in advance, that is, you will have to pay a new invoice after you take the decision.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2018

@angstrom said:
    You should become a provider and practice this policy for a few years and get back to us about how this works in practice.

Well, the same stuff with doors, if a door is easy to use, why the fuck do you need a PULL sign on it? or push?

Simply, because its not easy to understand or to use, or why the fuck you put a pull handle on a door, that needs to be pushed.

People will run into that, often, some providers even received a lot of bad ratings, since they really enforced that policy to everyone who missed to pay.

Some even wanted, to have it send via fax machine, and the fax was most of the time on hold. So you could not send shit.

Total disaster, anyway, just make it prepaid, less hassle for you and your costumers.
    I really hate norman doors.

• Pay that sum, close your account and ask them to delete your personal data with proof of that action as per GDPR. Than forget them.

Netcup bierocracy apparatus is one big clunky crap. As soon as you discover this -> run, run away to such providers as Hetzner, DO, Vultr etc.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Be sure to do the same to LET. Open a support ticket and ask them to delete your account & data.

• @Neoon said:

@angstrom said:
    You should become a provider and practice this policy for a few years and get back to us about how this works in practice.

Well, the same stuff with doors, if a door is easy to use, why the fuck do you need a PULL sign on it? or push?

Simply, because its not easy to understand or to use, or why the fuck you put a pull handle on a door, that needs to be pushed.

People will run into that, often, some providers even received a lot of bad ratings, since they really enforced that policy to everyone who missed to pay.

Some even wanted, to have it send via fax machine, and the fax was most of the time on hold. So you could not send shit.

Total disaster, anyway, just make it prepaid, less hassle for you and your costumers.
    I really hate norman doors.

Am not entirely certain whether you agree with me or disagree with me ...

In any case, no one forces anyone to use netcup.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @LTniger said: Netcup bierocracy apparatus is one big clunky crap. As soon as you discover this -> run, run away to such providers as Hetzner, DO, Vultr etc.

... and see what happens when you break their ToSes!

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member

The more I read this thread, the more I want to buy even more netcup services.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@angstrom said:
    Am not entirely certain whether you agree with me or disagree with me ...

In any case, no one forces anyone to use netcup.

That was just a commentary, on the run that policy.

@mfs said:

Netcup is decent.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

@AnthonySmith said:

Timtimo13 said: Living in Germany. Most companies force you to print a doc, sign it, scan it and send it by fax or registered mail. Some companies give you an online form to fill in and your contract get canceled though.

Yep, its a very 1974 thing to request is all for such a generally advanced forward thinking nation.

I mean.. a fax.. seriously, I am not defending the OP here but if you can sign up online, pay online, you damn well should be able to cancel online as well, its just common sense.

There are new rules in germany (i believe since 2016?) If you "sign" a contract online the company is forced to accept an "online" cancellation request.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @mfs said:

netcup's services are predictable (in the positive sense), and their products (especially their promotions) have a very good quality/price ratio, which is why people sign up in the first place.

But if the idea of needing to cancel at least 30 days in advance of the end of the contract seems unspeakably harsh, then it would be best to never sign up in the first place.

Thanked by 1beagle
  • @FR_Michael said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Timtimo13 said: Living in Germany. Most companies force you to print a doc, sign it, scan it and send it by fax or registered mail. Some companies give you an online form to fill in and your contract get canceled though.

Yep, its a very 1974 thing to request is all for such a generally advanced forward thinking nation.

I mean.. a fax.. seriously, I am not defending the OP here but if you can sign up online, pay online, you damn well should be able to cancel online as well, its just common sense.

There are new rules in germany (i believe since 2016?) If you "sign" a contract online the company is forced to accept an "online" cancellation request.

That would totally makes sense. Why would politicians make such a law?

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2018

@Yura said:

@FR_Michael said:

@AnthonySmith said:

That would totally makes sense. Why would politicians make such a law?

They were forced by the "Verbraucherschutz" (not sure if consumer protection is the correct translation but these guys keep on sue people and companies for violations against consumer interests)

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited October 2018

@FR_Michael said:

@AnthonySmith said:

I don't think that they literally required a fax to be sent.

It may be that for the within-14-days-refund, netcup wanted a signature, which could have been scanned and sent by email.

Remember, to simply cancel a service at netcup, you just click on a button.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • edited October 2018

@angstrom said:

@mfs said:

netcup's services are predictable (in the positive sense), and their products (especially their promotions) have a very good quality/price ratio, which is why people sign up in the first place.

But if the idea of needing to cancel at least 30 days in advance of the end of the contract seems unspeakably harsh, then it would be best to never sign up in the first place.

I agree with you, it not make sense if you buy it only for one month. Should I cancel the service immediately after I buy it in order to use the service only for one month?

• @angstrom said:

@yokowasis said:

@shallownorthdakota said:
    I personally feel bad for OP. I'm sure we as a community can muster up some dineros to help him/her pay their debt to Netcup. Dip into the LET Slush Fund if need be.

All in favour?

Aye. Provider should be more humane , if the client doesn't pay. Just suspend it's service and move on. easy.

I've been a provider for 3 years and it works great. chasing down a client who obviously doesn't want or can't pay for the invoice is just not worth my time. And I can name a dozen of provider who does the same ( that is terminating the service , continue with life , and forget that customer ).

If your way of providing is to chase the client to the rabbit hole, then who am I to judge.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@LTniger said:
    Pay that sum, close your account and ask them to delete your personal data with proof of that action as per GDPR. Than forget them.

Netcup bierocracy apparatus is one big clunky crap. As soon as you discover this -> run, run away to such providers as Hetzner, DO, Vultr etc.

You are aware that the data on the invoice cannot be removed for as long as legally required to be held (6 years in the UK, presumably similar in Germany) so it’s just a waiste of time for the OP to do it, right ?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2018

@mfs said:

I’m also considering. Never too many of remote monitoring points, and they are clearly a solid business.

@chocolateshirt said:

@angstrom said:

@mfs said:

I agree with you, it not make sense if you buy it only for one month. Should I cancel the service immediately after I buy it in order to use the service only for one month?

Yep. Exactly same as if you would with a pay monthly mobile phone contract with 30 days notice and no minimum term. Nice and easy.

• I had services with netcup, pretty satisfied, and was not required to send a scanned copy of cancellation form when I wanted to cancel it.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • @yokowasis said: I've been a provider for 3 years and it works great. chasing down a client who obviously doesn't want or can't pay for the invoice is just not worth my time.

But: If such a client returned to you for a new service, would you accept them, excusing the past unpaid invoice?

If yes, then there's a real difference between what you practice and what netcup practice.

If no, then there's no real difference between what you practice and what netcup practice.

It's a question of detail whether a provider chooses to "chase down" a client who hasn't paid their invoice. This will partly depend on where the client resides in relation to the provider and on the amount of the invoice. In many cases, it may not be worth the effort for a provider to "chase down" a client.

The OP didn't say that netcup had "chased him down". We don't know whether this will happen if he continues to not pay the invoice.

• @chocolateshirt said:

@angstrom said:

@mfs said:

no, that's why they offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee to offer an early way out if you don't like it. all you need to do to claim it, is sign a single form, scan it and send it back.

this also only applies to the root servers, as the vservers now have a different kind of billing model.

for the root-servers a lot of their offers are quarterly or even yearly anyway. so while they will bill you monthly you might to decide to choose a longer contract term and need to keep track of the latest possible cancellation date yourself.

this simple is not prepaid or any kind of self ending model of contract.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited October 2018

@Falzo said: @chocolateshirt said:

@angstrom said:

@mfs said:

no, that's why they offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee to offer an early way out if you don't like it. all you need to do to claim it, is sign a single form, scan it and send it back.

this also only applies to the root servers, as the vservers now have a different kind of billing model.

Ah, yes, I had forgotten about the new hourly billing of vServers, which obviously changes how the satisfaction guarantee works in this case.

As for the satisfaction guarantee in the case of the Root Servers, all the better if it's 30 days and not 14 days.

• @chocolateshirt said:

I released all the resources and terminated the VM from day one of purchasing the service and I am blocked from creating the VM from second month despite the invoices i am getting !!!.

• eramax said: !!!.

Is that because you owe them money, perhaps?

Thanked by 2Clouvider Wolveix
  • @ricardo said:

eramax said: !!!.

Is that because you owe them money, perhaps?

!!! for they still invoicing me till now for a resource i cannot even use it if i wanted
    because i am blocked from creating or use the VM on their system despite i am getting a new invoice every month.

• you can call them on the phone and clean up this mess for once and for all.

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith eramax
  • @eramax said:

@chocolateshirt said:

I released all the resources and terminated the VM from day one of purchasing the service and I am blocked from creating the VM from second month despite the invoices i am getting !!!.

Maybe they don't want to let you go. Maybe it's not about the money, it's because they really care about you and want to continue the correspondention. Maybe they want you to sign the agreement on paper.

Maybe it's because the way you got the refund. Did you open a paypal dispute to get the refund of the first month payment instead of settling this with the provider?

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @eramax said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Listen, not that it really matters to me/us, but the story that you've told is fragmented and incomplete. You simply haven't given all of the details in a systematic fashion.

One of the two netcup tickets that you've shown says that you canceled your Root Server only on August 26th for the end of your contract on October 6th and that you had a number of unpaid invoices at the time of cancellation. Is this true or false?

You appear to say that you canceled and asked for a refund within a few days of getting the server back in May. Did you sign and scan and send back the form to them in a timely manner, as they requested? Yes or no? If yes, are you saying that they never acknowledged receiving the scanned form? If you sent the scanned form by email, then you should have a copy of this sent email. Do you have a copy?

The two netcup tickets that you've shown us do not tell the whole story, and you know this.

• The situation @eramax is in has been discussed in LET before. Unless you explicitly cancel your service with Netcup before the stipulated time frame you will be invoiced for the original service you signed up for. This is irrespective of whether you have actually deployed an instance and using their resources. You agreed to all of this through their TOS when you signed up for them. If you did not actually read the TOS before your signed up, its your problem. No attorney can defend you for having failed to read the TOS before signing up.

At this point you should pay up if you do not want the collection agencies after you. A collection mark on your credit report can be quite damaging and probably not worth the amount you owe Netcup.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
This discussion has been closed.