Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to build your own NeverBounce without getting banned?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to build your own NeverBounce without getting banned?

Hi guys, in a company I work for, sometimes we spend $200 per month for validating emails in neverbounce.com (we validate all the emails for marketing campaigns before reaching new people using Intercom email marketing), so I started a prototype for email validation trough SMTP: basically I ask emails servers if the email exist, as lot of third party services do, like:
https://tools.verifyemailaddress.io/

The problem is after a while we received an email from our dedicated server provider saying we got listed in UCEPROTECT and they are going to suspend our server if we don't fix the issue. We told them we are not sending spam, we are just validating if emails are valid, and it looks like some of the email servers doesn't like this kind of SMTP conversation.

So I'm wondering how these class of services work, maybe they have their own servers in collocation? Do you know what is the best VPS/server provider for this kind of services?

Thanked by 1GoatSeller

Comments

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited October 2018

Someone like @jar could likely offer advice on this kind of thing, but then again you often pay for their services rather than glean all the best info out of them.

Deliverability is big business, clearly your company understands that as they pay to keep their email list as clean as possible.

My own limited experience in exactly this problem a few years abck showed that it depends on the server you're talking to.

In short, those kinds of services do work and ultimately they probably have similar knowledge as you already do, but dedicate their time to refining it.

Email servers are clued into the 'check whether the email address exists' as it can obviously be used for good/bad/unsolicited purposes/emails. The response can be anywhere from a ban, to a greylist to it working.

Thanked by 1arielse
  • TruMail.io is somewhat cheaper.

How many emails are you verifying per month?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 2018

The scans you are doing, even just asking if the account is there, while your use case may not be malicious, many bot scripts which work to bruteforce accounts use this same method. The do this to verify an account exists before it sends a legion of bots after it to one at a time try and identify the account passwords so that accounts be used to send out spam. One of the most prevalent issues I see right now in my day to day work is customers who have their e-mail accounts bruteforced and used to send out copious amounts of spam because they chose to use 'Password123!' as their password and surprise, surprise, bots can figure such an easy password out.

So, the reason you are being reported, while your use case may not be malicious, is it directly mimics what bots do which are trying to actually exploit accounts. This is why you are getting abuse complaints and have become listed on UCEPROTECT. They can't identify between malicious use cases and non-malicious use cases, they just see an increase in what looks to be abusive traffic from your host.

The way that most of these other companies get away with it is they likely have agreements with major providers which they worked out ahead of time which allow them to not be blocked/listed as you have been when sending large amounts of requests like that.

Hope this helps to answer your question.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 2arielse uptime
  • Get multiple IP's for your server and randomize your verification times. Rotate the IP's wisely and you should avoid getting reported/banned.

Thanked by 1arielse
  • The way that most of these other companies get away with it is they likely have agreements with major providers which they worked out ahead of time which allow them to not be blocked/listed as you have been when sending large amounts of requests like that.

Which brings us to the conclusion:
    This is the kind of thing that you simply should not try to do on your own alone if you can not spend serious dedication and budget.
    Do simply purchase this as a service and you will be better off.

• @vovler said:
    TruMail.io is somewhat cheaper.

How many emails are you verifying per month?

From 25k to 50k per month.

• @southy said:

The way that most of these other companies get away with it is they likely have agreements with major providers which they worked out ahead of time which allow them to not be blocked/listed as you have been when sending large amounts of requests like that.

This is the kind of thing that you simply should not try to do on your own alone if you can not spend serious dedication and budget.

Sure, the thing is that our system is working good, sometimes better than the services we are paying for, the only issue we are having is with these abuse complaints :tongue:

• @arielse said:

@southy said:

Sure, the thing is that our system is working good, sometimes better than the services we are paying for, the only issue we are having is with these abuse complaints :tongue:

So...
    ...it is not working good then.

Sorry, I'm really not trying to derail here, but you're simply contradicting here.

Again: email done properly is a really complex topic.
    If you /as you obviously don't (fully) have the capabilities to do this within your organisation, you should look into outsourcing.
    Might not only solve your problem but also save you money.
    Or what do you think how many days it would take you to code a solutions to this problem alone?

• Are there any tool running on Linux to verify email? I have tons of idle server and I just want to verify ~50 emails per month.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited October 2018

@levnode said:
    Are there any tool running on Linux to verify email? I have tons of idle server and I just want to verify ~50 emails per month.

Just google "github email verify smtp" and pick one or few and make your own tool

Thanked by 1levnode