Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Double Server Bandwidth - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Double Server Bandwidth

Comments

• If I order a new server today, will it already have these new bandwith policy/increase applied to it??

• @Jabroni said:
    If I order a new server today, will it already have these new bandwith policy/increase applied to it??

Its for existing and new customers. Yes.

• JabroniJabroni Member
    edited October 2018

@vovler said:

My question was more on timing, like if they are provisioning already new servers with these, because the order pages havent been updated yet to reflect these changes. ie im planning on getting a STOR server, and the order page still says its 500mbit and spikes to gigabit. Would hate to order a server and have to wait a couple months for the upgrade to full gigabit ;p

• donlidonli Member
    edited October 2018

@creep said:
    next? colocrossing ipv6.

"Colocrossing doubles number of ipv6 addresses available to each customer".

• @Jabroni said:

@vovler said:

My question was more on timing, like if they are provisioning already new servers with these, because the order pages havent been updated yet to reflect these changes. ie im planning on getting a STOR server, and the order page still says its 500mbit and spikes to gigabit. Would hate to order a server and have to wait a couple months for the upgrade to full gigabit ;p

Could take months, maybe a year, maybe never. I recall they planned on shutting down a couple of SBG datacenters last year but never did anything about it. Planned on selling a whole bunch of new SYS offers, but 90% of them stay out of stock. This is OVH you're talking about, there could be some fine-print with regards to the usage. They change their mind at a whim and are far from how Hetzner operates, who actually made all the necessary changes first and then announced the upgrade.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@Jabroni said:

@vovler said:

From Oles:

It will take a few weeks to see the confs apply on the entire park (356K physical servers)

With OVH's schedule, could easily take until the end of the year before it's fully rolled out.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2018

Jabroni said: My question was more on timing, like if they are provisioning already new servers with these

No, they aren't "provisioning" you anything, they give you access to some server already sitting in the rack since years. And whether or not that rack has been already upgraded in the double bandwidth roll-out, is a question completely unrelated to who cancels it or who orders it when.

Would hate to order a server and have to wait a couple months for the upgrade to full gigabit ;p

So yes, most likely you will have to wait for the upgrade same as everyone else (existing customers).

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited October 2018

@Wizmap345 said:

@Harud said:
    Perfect. From now 1G unmetered will become industry standard. Thanks to Hetzner and OVH

I honestly can't believe we're still on 1gbps.

Doubling bandwidth is HUGE news, I don't understand why they aren't shouting it from the rooftops. I'd imagine they are bleeding customers to Hetzner every day.

I don't think so. In fact I think that Hetzners bandwidth upgrade was but one minor factor for OVH. My guess is that the Hetzner upgrade only drove OVH to do theirs a bit earlier than planned - and planned it was, I bet. In an operation the size of OVH one doesn't just shoot from the hip; one plans carefully, one tests, one gets or builds the necessary hardware, etc.
    Which btw also explains their "quiet" announcement. To them that 0.5 to 1 Gb upgrade isn't the big thing to talk about.

As for "Oh gawd, how can we still be on 1 Gb ???" I think you are quite mistaken. For one bandwidth still doesn't come for free; increasing it in steps too large can even be prohibitively expensive (as in needing new fat cross-atlantic cables).

But my main point is another factor. It's the simple question "what for?".

From what I see the vast majority of servers on the internet do not even pump 1 Gb/s. Let's turn away from perfect-land and look at reality: servers running mysql/PHP driven SSL/TLS running web sites. Good luck filling a 1 Gb/s pipe with that. And btw most web sites don't have the number of vistors that would make even 2.5 Gb/s strongly desirable.
    Those that do need that kind of bandwith can and do have 10 or even n x 10 Gb/s. It's not that one could not get even 100 Gb/s. It's just that only very very few need it. About 90% of the servers out there (probably even more) simply do not fill or need even 1 Gb/s.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I was just looking at this on Twitter as I have been busy the last week picking an RMM system. I have to say this Is great news.

I do wonder why they haven’t upgraded their Public Cloud / VPS port speeds yet?

• @IThinkUFailed said:

@Vova1234 said:
    OVH joined Hetzner to select customers from online.net after the price increase.

I wonder if there will be more on these lines:
    Kimsufi - 200 mbps
    SoYouStart - 500 mbps.

A reply to this tweet from Oles was "Yes SYS. Not for Kimsufi."

Meaning that the upgrade will only be applied to SYS?

• @JohnRoe said:
    Meaning that the upgrade will only be applied to SYS?

Correct.

Thanked by 1JohnRoe
  • Ordered a SyS GAME-3 server a few days ago and got the 500Mbps uplink. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• So the 500Mbps bandwidth for SYS is only on new orders?

• Probly not affecting discovery servers on OVH side as mine is still 250 Mbps.

• i have 6 different servers , 2 of them are even 7 days old , all on 500mb no 1gbit for any,

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

Gatto said: Ordered a SyS GAME-3 server a few days ago and got the 500Mbps uplink. ¯(ツ)

What is the rack and data center? GRA?

I would check on my servers, as I may have servers in the same rack as you.

• What are you all using to determine the port speed to see if it's changed?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2018

@jaypeesmith said:
    What are you all using to determine the port speed to see if it's changed?

Never trust the french, when something shows up in the panel.
    Speedtest it.

Thanked by 2eol inthecloudblog
  • iperf

Thanked by 1jaypeesmith
  • hmmm, was there a date they said this would be live? :)

• @Neoon said:

@jaypeesmith said:
    What are you all using to determine the port speed to see if it's changed?

Never trust the french, when something shows up in the panel.
    Speedtest it.

you mean this ?
    ( Server is connected to 1gbps and panel shows this)

• @Vova1234 said:

Gatto said: Ordered a SyS GAME-3 server a few days ago and got the 500Mbps uplink. ¯(ツ)

What is the rack and data center? GRA?

I would check on my servers, as I may have servers in the same rack as you.

My server is on Canada, not France, but here's the info:

Datacentre: BHS5 - Rack: T05D18

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

I think they said a few weeks??

• I got a server in OVH CA DC like 10 days ago.. STOR24... still at 500mbps :(

• danninov said: After Hetzner goes unmetered, now OVH increase server bandwidth. Who's next?

OVH is going after Google/Amazon so need to spend up big https://www.arnnet.com.au/article/648465/ovh-triple-spending-take-google-amazon-cloud/

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • jaypeesmithjaypeesmith Member
    edited October 2018

@experttechit said:
    I think they said a few weeks??

They did. Honestly, I am thinking that we won't see this until some time in December (maybe).

• I've had multiple GAME-3 servers in BHS, they have always had 500mbps upload this past year. As far as I know, no change to the network has been made, and frankly, I'm not even looking forward to it. Hetzner's peering outside of Europe has already gone downhill. I left Online.net and moved to Hetzner/OVH, and now going to have to move again once OVH's network gets infested by streamers and seedboxes.

• @sunnyg said:
    I've had multiple GAME-3 servers in BHS, they have always had 500mbps upload this past year. As far as I know, no change to the network has been made, and frankly, I'm not even looking forward to it. Hetzner's peering outside of Europe has already gone downhill. I left Online.net and moved to Hetzner/OVH, and now going to have to move again once OVH's network gets infested by streamers and seedboxes.

What do you mean by that?

• openosopenos Member
    edited October 2018

Today I got a new server SYS E5-SAT-1-64 (BHS)
    still at 250mbps...................

• @desfire said:

@sunnyg said:
    I've had multiple GAME-3 servers in BHS, they have always had 500mbps upload this past year. As far as I know, no change to the network has been made, and frankly, I'm not even looking forward to it. Hetzner's peering outside of Europe has already gone downhill. I left Online.net and moved to Hetzner/OVH, and now going to have to move again once OVH's network gets infested by streamers and seedboxes.

What do you mean by that?

guys run a gameserver complaining about streamers and seedboxes because of peering outside of europe... just ignore and move on.