Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostslayer/Hostslim US Outage for a week
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostslayer/Hostslim US Outage for a week

Hostslayer US nodes have been down for a week with nearly zero communication from them. It took them 3 days to even send a generic email stating:

Currently there are some problems in the USA datacenter. They are working on solving this. It will affect your VPS availability and we are very sorry for this.
We will keep you posted.

Great. Then another 3 days without communication until they send the following email:

As you have noticed there are ongoing issues in the USA datacenter. We have made the decision to do an emergency migration to our own Netherlands Datacenter with great peering to the USA. Your IP will stay the same. We expect the transfer to be done within a few hours.

We are very sorry for the downtime caused. If you have any questions you can always reply to this e-mail or open a ticket under your client account.

That was over 36 hours ago. All servers are still offline and we haven't heard any communication. Note that their server status page hasn't been updated to show the outage yet, either.

That's just the public communication. I submitted a ticket as well (far prior to the first public communication), and to add insult to injury, after the outage had been ongoing for 5 days I replied to my open ticket asking what kind of ETA they are looking at and what kind of issues they were having (aka transparency), and was told:

we are fixing it. it will take a little time. we will inform you if everything is up and running again.

A 5 day long outage of their entire datacenter with zero communication from them and we're told to just sit down and shut up. Thanks, guys.

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Boy, this sounds familiar... ohh look, same company.

What's going on, @VPSSLIM?

Thanked by 1Rhys
  • Hope you have backups.

• @MasonR said:
    Boy, this sounds familiar... ohh look, same company.

What's going on, @VPSSLIM?

After that incident in June why do they still have customers?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@ServerJake the fact that you even waited 3 days is mind boggling, move hosts, move now, find the nearest exit and dot not walk .... RUN

This is certainly not the first time they have done something like this it certainly will not be the last time, they then wait a few weeks for the dust to settle and everyone to calm down then give some paper thin statement.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@donli said:

Selective memories, chasing for bottom of bottom barrel, accepting empty apologies.

• So somehow moving from the USA to NL is a good move?

• @teamacc said:
    So somehow moving from the USA to NL is a good move?

It would appear to be a "necessary" one (for the provider).

• ServerJakeServerJake Member
    edited October 2018

Of course everything was backed up, no issues there.

I hadn't heard of them until I saw them on LEB. At the time I signed up I didn't see any negative comments about them. I wasn't a member of this forum yet and hadn't heard the good news, hah.

the fact that you even waited 3 days is mind boggling

I didn't. I kind of typed the original thread out of order, since their own communication was bad enough to damn them without me even having to add my personal experience.

I have asked repeatedly from the beginning for them to cancel my services and issue a full refund, neither of which has happened yet. They even closed my ticket this morning saying and I quote:

Sorry for the late reply, we had a lot of tickets. Your VM is online.

Lol. Time for a chargeback. I just stuck around to see exactly how bad this trainwreck would get.

For the record, they still haven't updated the server status page with this outage, and the servers are still offline. Lol.

• Only double posting since this is slightly off-topic.

Check out their CEO/founder's website. https://www.ralphkarseboom.com/

This reads like someone who would be selling essential oils to cure cancer if he couldn't make money selling servers that don't exist.

• @donli said:

@teamacc said:
    So somehow moving from the USA to NL is a good move?

It would appear to be a "necessary" one (for the provider).

So they cant provide network access for their clients, but are perfectly capable of moving all clients data from one location to the other? I call bullshit.

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited October 2018

@ServerJake said:
    Only double posting since this is slightly off-topic.

This reads like someone who would be selling essential oils to cure cancer if he couldn't make money selling servers that don't exist.

I fucking lost it:

It's called a "greatness planner" and costs 25 euros. It has the guy's name on it on every page, and every other page has his name on it twice.

Thanked by 3ServerJake NateN34 sin
  • donlidonli Member
    edited October 2018

@ServerJake said:
    Only double posting since this is slightly off-topic.

So, you didn't get a copy of his free "make money with starting your own webshop" ebook?
    https://www.ralphkarseboom.com/free-ebook/

edited October 2018

So, you didn't get a copy of his free "make money with starting your own webshop" ebook?

I bought 3 copies. Great advice guaranteed to make money.

From page 1: "Sell servers that don't exist".

edited October 2018

Just saw another email update from them about 8 hours ago that I missed. Golden.

The transfer of your VM to our own network has completed. Your VM will be online in the next few minutes. We are very sorry for the time it took, unfortunately a lot of those things in the transfer were out of our hands as we had to wait on other providers to complete IP resource transfer for your VM the properly work with the old ip. We have taken the appropriate measures so this will not happen in the future. We have been in touch with most of our USA VM clients via tickets and were able to respond to them in timely fashion. We want to thank you again for your trust and patience you have also shown in your replies to our staff.

Luckily this has all been fixed for you now and we thank you so much for your ongoing patience. Of course we want to offer you a compensation for the downtime. If you'd like a compensation; then please open a ticket under your client account and we will arrange this for you today.

Weird, I've been asking for 'compensation' and cancellation for a week now and haven't gotten anything except ignored. Also apparently "were able to respond to them in timely fashion." means 'we respond to your ticket once every 3 days, and tell our customers to stop bugging us'.

Also: Servers are still down. Lol. To be honest this is just funny at this point. One of the best trainwrecks I've been a part of.

• @ServerJake said:

I bought 3 copies. Great advice guaranteed to make money.

Actual excerpt from the real page 1:

Choosing the right hosting — it’s very important to choose the right hosting. You need to go with quality hosting and uptime guarantees. You want your webshop to be online 24/7 as people tend to shop 24/7. You don’t want to deal with constant downtime or having to contact your provider all the time because things are not running smoothly. So step one is: Choose the right hosting.

Thanked by 1ServerJake
  • @donli said:

Actual excerpt from the real page 1:

Choosing the right hosting — it’s very important to choose the right hosting. You need to go with quality hosting and uptime guarantees. You want your webshop to be online 24/7 as people tend to shop 24/7. You don’t want to deal with constant downtime or having to contact your provider all the time because things are not running smoothly. So step one is: Choose the right hosting.

OMG are you serious? This is too perfect.

• @ServerJake said:

OMG are you serious? This is too perfect.

Truth is more ironic than fiction.

• I'm going to put that quote from his book in my ticket, I just need to think of something snarky to say first.

• How about why don't you guys take your own advice?

edited October 2018

I've decided to take advice from my mentor Ralph Karseboom and switch providers. As he says in his free ebook available at https://www.ralphkarseboom.com/

I "need to go with quality hosting and uptime guarantees." I "want my webshop to be online 24/7 as people tend to shop 24/7." I "don’t want to deal with constant downtime or having to contact your provider all the time because things are not running smoothly."

Thanked by 2AuroraZ nulldev
  • WOW
    https://www.ralphkarseboom.com/business/what-i-learned-in-business/

When you enter into business, it’s completely different than being an entrepreneur. >For starters: you are responsible for everything, including your own RACKS and SERVERS. There are some things that I learned that I want you to know so you don’t make the same mistakes… BUY HOSTING FROM US.....or maybe you should just to learn what not to do.

edited October 2018

EDIT: Removed temporarily.