Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can a VM created in A disk make use of B disk in the same server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can a VM created in A disk make use of B disk in the same server?

yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

I have two disks in my server, one SSD, another HDD.

I created a VM with Proxmox on SSD and installed Nextcloud in it.
Since my HDD has a capacity to hold 5TB of files, I want to make use of it for the Nextcloud VM. What will be the simplest/smartest way to achieve it?

Thank you.

Comments

• $15 to a sysadmin.

Thanked by 4mikho mfs MrPsycho FHR
  • Probably try LVM?

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited September 2018

Add another disk ( located on Disk B ) to your VM.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2018

I've already created partition for the new disk and mounted into a folder in SSD, (No LVM but just the traditional way). But the trouble is I cannot access it from a virtual machine which is basing itself on the SSD where the mounted folder resides.

Fair question should be, how can I access a folder, from a vm, that's located in the drive where a vm is created.

• You need to export/import with something like Gluster/NFS, but then you're doing it wrong.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited September 2018

@yongsiklee said:

I've already created partition for the new disk and mounted into a folder in SSD, (No LVM but just the traditional way). But the trouble is I cannot access it from a virtual machine which is basing itself on the SSD where the mounted folder resides.

Fair question should be, how can I access a folder, from a vm, that's located in the drive where a vm is created.

Add the HDD as storage in proxmox (either as a folder, or LVM.etc), that can store disk images.

Then add a second Disk to your VM (its under hardware) with that storage set, you will need to partition/format the disk within the VM and then you should be able to mount it.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
    edited September 2018

@dragon2611 said:

@yongsiklee said:

Add the HDD as storage in proxmox (either as a folder, or LVM.etc), that can store disk images.

The add a second Disk to your VM (its under hardware) with that storage set, you will need to partition/format the disk within the VM and then you should be able to mount it.

WOW I didn't know Proxmox has option to add a second drive for a VM in its UI. Thank you.

edited September 2018

@CyberMonday said:
    You need to export/import with something like Gluster/NFS, but then you're doing it wrong.

It's ridiculous to deploy NFS for a local disk.

@dragon2611 said:

@yongsiklee said:

Then add a second Disk to your VM (its under hardware) with that storage set, you will need to partition/format the disk within the VM and then you should be able to mount it.

Tried, not working. You "first" need to have the drive partitioned/formatted/mounted and added as a storage in Datacenter. A VM cannot use/see the storage even if it is later added as a second harddrive in the UI of Proxmox.

@yongsiklee said:

@CyberMonday said:
    You need to export/import with something like Gluster/NFS, but then you're doing it wrong.

It's ridiculous to deploy NFS for a local disk.

I might have to go with Gluster/NFS in the end but I will try other local methods first.

• @yongsiklee said:

@dragon2611 said:

@yongsiklee said:

Tried, not working. You "first" need to have the drive partitioned/formatted/mounted and added as a storage in Datacenter. A VM cannot use/see the storage even if it is later added as a second harddrive in the UI of Proxmox.

Well yes the 2nd drive needs to be in a state where you can store VM images in, but yes the VM will absolutely see drives on secondary disks, they'll show up as an extra Hard disk within the VM.

I have VM's with more than one disk present, usually a small OS disk and a data drive.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee

@dragon2611 said:

@yongsiklee said:

@dragon2611 said:

@yongsiklee said:

Well yes the 2nd drive needs to be in a state where you can store VM images in, but yes the VM will absolutely see drives on secondary disks, they'll show up as an extra Hard disk within the VM.

I have VM's with more than one disk present, usually a small OS disk and a data drive.

Thank you again. I only restarted the VM previously and that's probably why I did not see the new drive. I powered off and started the VM and now I am with a new drive in VM. :-)