Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[POLL] Providers, MySQL or MariaDB (Q4-2018)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[POLL] Providers, MySQL or MariaDB (Q4-2018)?

We already know MariaDB is a fork of MySQL when Oracle acquired it some time ago due to internal licensing issue among the original developers.

However, I would like to know whether most of the providers in LET prefer to offer MySQL or MariaDB or others? Let me know because I'm currently doing an important survey as to which is more popular in the recent years.

I believe both are interchangeable but if you have to ask me, most probably I'll provide MariaDB for my clients. What about you?

MySQL or MariaDB (Q4-2018)
  1. Which database solution do you offer?71 votes
    1. MySQL
      15.49%
    2. MariaDB
      70.42%
    3. Others
      14.08%

Comments

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited September 2018

My team mate moved from a shared host (having MariaDB) to buyshared (MySQL). Even I test his wordpress site on Maria and MySQL (He created the db again). Found Maria slightly faster loading the same site. But I found MySQL on buyshared seemed much faster than my current host's MySQL. Seems these databases give output the way they are tweaked by the specific hosts even if both versions are same. @Francisco - just one question: Why you chose MySQL over MariaDB? I'm what advantage you did found in MySQL that Maria lacks?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• @Neoon said:
    MAAAAAAAAAAAAAARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You've gotta see her.

• @Sofia_K said:
    My team mate moved from a shared host (having MariaDB) to buyshared (MySQL). Even I test his wordpress site on Maria and MySQL (He created the db again). Found Maria slightly faster loading the same site. But I found MySQL on buyshared seemed much faster than my current host's MySQL. Seems these databases give output the way they are tweaked by the specific hosts even if both versions are same. @Francisco - just one question: Why you chose MySQL over MariaDB? I'm what advantage you did found in MySQL that Maria lacks?

The most likely reason buyshared mysql is faster is because their InnoDB buffer pool size is bigger than in other providers. I remember Francisco saying that he adjusts the buffer pool size depending on the amount of RAM that is free in each node.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Other.

Sqlite for the 90% or 95% of cases where any Mysql is unneeded and way too big and a real database(TM), Postgresql, for the few cases where more than Sqlite is really needed.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Postgres ftw

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Percona.

• Q4? Did they move the goalposts for what is considered Q4?

• The real no sql, Storing data in individual txt files and using folders as tables.

• @NodePing said:
    Q4? Did they move the goalposts for what is considered Q4?

Quarter 4 2018

• @corbpie said:
    The real no sql, Storing data in individual txt files and using folders as tables.

Oracle recently released a NoSQL database. With recent popularity of MongoDB / CouchDB which makes the perfect utilization of JSON.

In most cases, all the businesses will lean on both databases. NoSQL database might have high popularity due to its high scalability and speed, but still, there would be a highly inescapable situation for businesses to use SQL database.

As of now, it seems that most providers not only in LET but most probably in the whole world wide web are still providing relational database and most programmers are still stuck with the typical 90's database solutions. Not sure when that "move" is necessary but at this moment, my survey is strictly about MySQL or MariaDB.

Let's just say it this way, if you plan to start or expand your business (not just for personal use), would you rather MySQL or MariaDB to include in your hosting packages...?

• Dedicadude said: Quarter 4 2018

Yeah, that doesn't start until October 2018, methinks.

• @NodePing said:

Dedicadude said: Quarter 4 2018

Yeah, that doesn't start until October 2018, methinks.

It will in 16 more days. This thread is just a warm up session. 56 votes so far. After a week, I hope it can get more than 100 votes so I can conclude my survey and research.