Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any reason why I should not buy the Mi Pad 4 for 150€? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any reason why I should not buy the Mi Pad 4 for 150€?

2»

Comments

• @ManofServer said:

@Ympker said:

@ManofServer said:
    The reason against would be that casual gaming and netflix/prime are not worthwhile activities that require an investment of capital in order to sustain them.

And that's for you to decide? My girlfriend and me wanted to watch some Netflix in our apartment and found our phones too small while we didn't wanna bring a (huge) laptop.

I'm just making small talk :D I also have netflix but would like to quit it one day.

Hehe :D That'd be nice indeed^^

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • @ehhthing said:
    One of the problems with Xiaomi android devices (coming from a Mi 5 user) is the software: it is trash.

The software is absolutely terrible for any western user, especially since push notifications don't get delivered properly.

I ended up rooting and installing Lineage OS which ruins the battery life.

I agree

I got a Xiaomi Redmi 5A which I really like, but hated MIUI.

Luckily someone made a stock Android ROM with all of the Pixel stuff, so now it's great.

• classyclassy Member
    edited September 2018

Our experience with Xiaomi is that the hardware starts to fall apart in less than a year.

This was the problem with my girlfriend’s Xiaomi Note 4, in the end I bought the iPhone 8+ with the dbrand grip and a glass screenprotector, to recover as much resale value as possible.

Lack of quality control and cheap materials is partly why China is so dirt cheap, folks. And of course the ‘borrowing’ of others’ intellectual property (because it isn’t “really” illegal in China).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @classy said:
    Lack of quality control and cheap materials is partly why China is so dirt cheap, folks. And of course the ‘borrowing’ of others’ intellectual property (because it isn’t “really” illegal in China).

That is same whining as of Trump.

All of your devices are coming from China, including iPhone. You are comparing a $200 phone with $700+. You get what you pay for.

I have had a very good experience with Xiaomi phones, running strong even after a year.

• @classy said:
    Our experience with Xiaomi is that the hardware starts to fall apart in less than a year.

This was the problem with my girlfriend’s Xiaomi Note 4, in the end I bought the iPhone 8+ with the dbrand grip and a glass screenprotector, to recover as much resale value as possible.

It sounds to me you are comparing a 5 USD/yr NAT VPS with AWS.

• Ordered a Mi Pad 4 64GB, 4GB RAM for 198€ at Gearbest. Let's see :- )

• I've been wanting to get one as well. Let us know what you think!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @michaels said:
    I'm about to replace my Sony Xperia z3 compact tablet this thread has come up at a good time. Is there a good community around custom ROMs for Mi Pads in general?

xiaomi.eu is my fav

Thanked by 1that_guy
  • @kendid said:
    I've been wanting to get one as well. Let us know what you think!

I will ;)

• Redmi note 3 still going strong since April 2016. (though I managed to break the headphone connector by abusing it in my bag's phone holder. mea culpa)

Heck, it pulled me through a freaking natural disaster (floods). I'm now mostly worried about the weakening Indian rupee and just-around-the-corner price increases for any replacement device.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • If I have to find a reason not to use Xiaomi products, there were at least two confirmed serious privacy issues(or some believe that this is a backdoor) with Xiaomi. One which Xiaomi keeps sending your personal information to Xiaomi server without user consent, another which lets Xiaomi install any application silently without source verification. Both issues had been fixed.

https://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002731.html
    https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/09/15/1923220/

Thanked by 2Ympker uptime
  • @vimalware said:
    Redmi note 3 still going strong since April 2016. (though I managed to break the headphone connector by abusing it in my bag's phone holder. mea culpa)

Heck, it pulled me through a freaking natural disaster (floods). I'm now mostly worried about the weakening Indian rupee and just-around-the-corner price increases for any replacement device.

Oddly enough the broken headphone jack was the reason for me to get a Mi A1 back then, which was my first Xiaomi device. I had a One Plus 3 (for like 450€) and after a bit longer than a year the headphone jack stopped working or rather made a shitty noise during listening. I contacted OP and they said they wouldn't even consider replacing it or repairing as long as I wouldn't try their original OP headphones. I was like "well ANY headphone 3,5mm should work, correct?!" and basically that was it. They wanted me to buy&try their original OP headphones otherwhise wouldn't even consider headphone jack not working and I sure as hell didn't wanna buy their stupid original headphones. Thus I decided to buy a new phone but this time cheaper around 200€. I keep telling myself if this time something goes wrong it doesn't hurt too much unlike at OP3 price poinnt and I can simply swap for a new phone. You gussed right! Thus the new budget phone I bought was the Mi A1. Not gonna buy an expensive OP anymore if after 1 year that's the shit I get when a problem occur.s

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I'm searching for a good 7/8" Tablet too for my son's iPAd mini upgrade. Main feature I need is flawless "cast" to LG SmartTVs so that we can watch TV channels and online videos on the big screen.

Also a plus would be to have Phone (phablet) feature so I can chuk in a SIM, that will enable my son to call incase he needs, so I'll save on an extra phone to be bought for him as he is only 10 and doesn't really need a cellphone right now.

Mostly the phablet/tablet will be used for his games and online study/worksheet material only. Any good links from gearbest or other deal sites? I can wait for the festive discount season that is nearer now.

Thanks

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

@classy I have a xiomi note 3 running for more than two years and guess what I bought for like 150 back then ? do not compare a 150 with 1000 usd iphone ? You can buy one xioami phone every year without breaking the bank

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @hostdare said:
    You can buy one xioami phone every year without breaking the bank

This has been my philosophy towards smartphones and laptops since 2014.

3.5yo Thinkpad x201 due for replacement any week now.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I bought recently a chuwi hi9pro. It is good enough, and has lte. Mexico has a $0.50 usd/day unlimited data, so...

• @classy said:

How can you know for sure she didn't break it on purpose to get the 8+ instead? The phone was cheap so the attitude towards it must have been cheap.

/s

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2018

@mehargags said:
    I'm searching for a good 7/8" Tablet too for my son's iPAd mini upgrade. Main feature I need is flawless "cast" to LG SmartTVs so that we can watch TV channels and online videos on the big screen.

Also a plus would be to have Phone (phablet) feature so I can chuk in a SIM, that will enable my son to call incase he needs, so I'll save on an extra phone to be bought for him as he is only 10 and doesn't really need a cellphone right now.

Mostly the phablet/tablet will be used for his games and online study/worksheet material only. Any good links from gearbest or other deal sites? I can wait for the festive discount season that is nearer now.

Thanks

I'm not sure what is required for LG cast but usually most android phones would support DLNA/Upnp to cast or maybe there is a cast app for LG. Worst case just get yourself a chromecast. It's awesome and offers so much more^^ Anyway Mi Pad4 might be something for your son also? Other than that amazon also launched a fire hd kids edition which gets free repair up to 2 years?! if broken accidentally by the kid.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • @netomx said:
    I bought recently a chuwi hi9pro. It is good enough, and has lte. Mexico has a $0.50 usd/day unlimited data, so...

Looks like a Tablet SPOT-ON with my needs, can you confirm if cast to Smart TV works good on it ?

Also help me with a good deal link.
    Thanks

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2018

@mehargags said:

@netomx said:

Looks like a Tablet SPOT-ON with my needs, can you confirm if cast to Smart TV works good on it ?

Thanks

115€ on AliExpress for:
    CHUWI Hi9 Pro MTK679 X20 Deca Core 8.4 Inch GPS 3GB RAM 32GB Android 8.0 4G LTE Metal Body Phablet Tablet PC Phone Call WIFI

http://s.aliexpress.com/yQbaqUbY?fromSns=

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • derpydmderpydm Member
    edited September 2018

@Ympker said:
    115€ on AliExpress for:
    CHUWI Hi9 Pro MTK679 X20 Deca Core 8.4 Inch GPS 3GB RAM 32GB Android 8.0 4G LTE Metal Body Phablet Tablet PC Phone Call WIFI

http://s.aliexpress.com/yQbaqUbY?fromSns=

Note that your tablet will most likely be insecure if you buy them from 'noname brands' like these where update support is nonexistent.

Frankly speaking buying electronics nowadays is a matter of giving your data to Google, Apple, Samsung or the Chinese government. You won't be secure running Android anywhere unless you de-google it which is still really experimental.

MIUI and Samsung Experience both have nothing wrong with them. In the case of SE most people that argue it's sluggish haven't used it since the S4 or so. With MIUI, you can unlock the bootloader and then install xiaomi.eu, a port of MIUI with less bloat. If you really want to stop giving your data to China.

Frankly the 'stock is best' stigma needs to go away. Features in SE or MIUI get ported to AOSP two yeard after they're introduced in OEM skins, all of a sudden Google are so good for implementing them.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@mehargags said:

@netomx said:

Thanks

To chromecast? Or what software?

• HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

I have a redmi note 3. There was a bit of a problem especially during downloading or updating apps using mobile data. Despite allowing downloads or updates with mobile data, it would not download or update. Web browsing is fine. Sometimes this would be fixed by restarting the phone several times. Found this super annoying. Just a side note I bought it from China and flashed it to a global rom.

Apart from that it was of great value. Very cheap, and very good battery life.

I've now swapped to a Huawei view 10 that has not had such problem so far.