Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Cloudflare offer dynamic dns service for free?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does Cloudflare offer dynamic dns service for free?

yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

I have about 20 domains to host.

1. Does Cloudflare offer dynamic dns service for free?
  2. And does it have any script to update this home dynamic ip address automatically when it changes?

*Any other dynamic dns service that you recommend?

Thanks for your prompt reply in advance. :-)

Comments

• Out of the box, it does not support dynamic DNS. There are scripts out there that can be configured to poll for IP changes and make relevant changes within your DNS records but is not an advertised feature of Cloudflare.

Cloudflare does suggest the following: https://www.cloudflare.com/technical-resources/#ddclient

And there is additionally: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/206142407-Using-DNS-O-Matic-dynamic-DNS-updates-with-CloudFlare-

Totally possible and do-able, just requires some leg work on your end.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • I just found out Google domains has free DDNS and supports the various protocols, so many DDNS clients and scripts will work. Also, namecheap has free DDNS.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

They got an API, so its possible without paying anything or you could pay them and get it included.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

Thank you all for the information.

I had thought I might have had a way around to not have to initially configure a script (like dd client for every domain/hosts) to update the dynamic ip address, simply by using a service from a website like cloudflare, namecheap ddns, google for its domains, or another company.

But the ignorance came from my lack of knowledge of how internet works.
    When an ISP randomly changes an ip address for one of its clients, the first to notice is the router to be used by the client. And I was too ignorant to think that a dynamic dns provider can't first-handedly know the change of the ip address and changes it accordingly. I was looking for a dns company who can find the change as soon as an ip address changes and changes the ip address automatically for the domains it serves.

I now realize that I have to do my leg work on my end as @daxterfellowes suggested.

Thank you again.

• @yongsiklee said:
    Thank you all for the information.

I had thought I might have had a way around to not have to initially configure a script (like dd client for every domain/hosts) to update the dynamic ip address, simply by using a service from a website like cloudflare, namecheap ddns, google for its domains, or another company.

But the ignorance came from my lack of knowledge of how internet works.
    When an ISP randomly changes an ip address for one of its clients, the first to notice is the router to be used by the client. And I was too ignorant to think that a dynamic dns provider can't first-handedly know the change of the ip address and changes it accordingly. I was looking for a dns company who can find the change as soon as an ip address changes and changes the ip address automatically for the domains it serves.

I now realize that I have to do my leg work on my end as @daxterfellowes suggested.

Thank you again.

Most people get their router to update DDNS IP on interface change. Some only have gui's with hardcoded services, (Dyn will pretty much be a guarantee). Others have generic fields so you can enter your dns providers info. Worst case, you run a program on a computer that checks every 1-5 minutes if IP changed and update if it did.

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

Cloudns includes Dynamic DNS in the free plan, and provides sample scripts as well.