Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linux KVM powered VPS with routed /48 or /56 IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linux KVM powered VPS with routed /48 or /56 IPv6

plueschopathplueschopath Member
edited September 2018 in Requests

Hello,

can anyone offer a Linux KVM powered VPS with a routed /48 or /56 IPv6 prefix in an EU location? Traffic should be at least 5TB per month. I need this to create a 6in4 tunnel to get my home network into IPv6 (ISP doesn't offer it). My home network consists of multiple VLANs, hence the need for multiple /64s. I'm currently using Hurricane Electric IPv6 Tunnel service, however it's blocked on several places on the internet and contacting all those third parties for explanation/whitelisting is a very slow and tiring process.

Please also make sure your host node kernels are patched with: x86/kvm: fix LAPIC timer drift when guest uses periodic mode https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10411125/ because I'd like to use OpenBSD.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2018

Linode gives a routed /56 on request.

Also with an Online.net account (dedicated servers) you get a routed /48.

....aaaaand that's about it. On most other providers with IPv6 subnets, you either get on-link, or /64, or both on-link and /64.

Thanked by 2plueschopath uptime
  • Veesp used to.

Thanked by 2plueschopath Veesp
  • plueschopathplueschopath Member
    edited September 2018

@Shot2 said:
    Veesp used to.

Thank you. Contacted them. I'll keep this thread updated if they were able to help me.

rm_ said: Linode gives a routed /56 on request.

Linode isn't an option for me because they only accept credit card. I'd like to wire transfer or some sort of cryptocurrency.

Also with an Online.net account (dedicated servers) you get a routed /48.

I'm a bit scared of DHCPv6. Don't know about payment. Thank you. I'll keep this one in mind.

....aaaaand that's about it. On most other providers with IPv6 subnets, you either get on-link, or /64, or both on-link and /64.

/me agrees.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2018

@Shot2 said:
    Veesp used to.

They still do that, even on BF 10$/y KVM's.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • @Neoon said:

@Shot2 said:
    Veesp used to.

Don't they use SolusVM with the shitty on link IPs you have to add one by one?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@lion said:

@Neoon said:

@Shot2 said:
    Veesp used to.

Don't they use SolusVM with the shitty on link IPs you have to add one by one?

Well, I asked and got a /56 routed.
    Solus is another story.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • smilesmile Member
    edited September 2018

I never considered this use case. I requested a /48 from veesp as well to see if they will still provide them. I also used he and didn't know it was blocked? Do you have weblink for more info on that.

• rackforest.com has "1 db IPv4 IP address, /56 IPv6 range" with 20TB/month listed on their VPS page. They're a provider in Hungary. I haven't used them yet though so I can't say if they're any good.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited September 2018

BTW online.net accepts Direct Debit as payment (= recurring automated transfer).
    No issue with DHCPv6-PD (prefix delegation).

• rm_ said: Also with an Online.net account (dedicated servers) you get a routed /48.

You get a /48 that you can allocate /56's from, and route the /56's to your individual servers. Is that the same thing as a routed /48 that you can use all in one place?

• The /48 and /56 work the same, there's nothing preventing you delegating the whole (and unique) /48 to a server - but then of course you're responsible for everything further down.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

willie said: You get a /48 that you can allocate /56's from, and route the /56's to your individual servers. Is that the same thing as a routed /48 that you can use all in one place?

Yes it's the same, and if you have just one dedi, you can skip creating /56s and route the entire /48 to it directly.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Maybe getting your own IPv6 network (cf. AIO IP Thread) and do "bring your own IP" with some providers? vmhaus (@vmhaus) or LoveServers (@Jack) could be a good choice. I could imagine both could offer routed IPv6 on request. If you get your own IP network and ASN you could also setup dual-homed connectivity via HE and vmhaus/LoveServers.

Thanked by 2bjo DeletedUser
  • It seems that @veesp changed their policy with kvm. They will allow it with dedicated servers but that is too expensive.

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

I'm pretty sure VMHaus will do it on request

This is also something I'm able to do, but sadly no EU locations (yet)

• freerangecloud said: I'm pretty sure VMHaus will do it on request

Contacted them now.

Meanwhile no answer from Veesp so far.

smile said: I also used he and didn't know it was blocked?

One example that affects me would be the website of the Swiss Federal Railways. I was informed that Wikia, and certain places within Pubmed seem to be blocked as well.

• smilesmile Member
    edited September 2018

@plueschopath as I typed above; veesp will not do it unless it is dedicated server so I decided to drop the subscription and save the money on possibly just registering an ipv6 asn with a /48 subnet. That may be an option for you if you are unable to find a provider as it is much easier to bring your ip. Example vultr can do this and accept bitcoin.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

To simply use your own /48 subnet with Vultr, you don't necessarily need to register an ASN. You can also do BGP with Vultr using a private ASN. See Vultr BGP FAQ. Furthermore you need to specify at least two upstream ASNs when registering a new ASN to fulfil RIPE requirements. In this use case leasing a /48 (PA or PI) and announcing it through Vultr, vmhaus, LoveServers, etc. would be enough. But I can't say anything about the particular kernel they use.

See the All In One IP Thread to find some "LET-LIRs" (incl. me and others) who can provide you with IP subnet and ASN registration.

Basically I can provide both, RIPE LIR services and some customized VPS services as well, but together not within LET price range (7 USD per month).

• thanks @dfroe on the ipv6 info. I posted late night and didn't realize you already suggested the above. Also my ipv6 knowledge is severely lacking. Going to use the starter points here to get back into it.

For the OP. using wireguard can give you ipv6 leases but may not fulfill your requirements since you mention a bit scared of dhcpv6.

• dfroe said: Basically I can provide both, RIPE LIR services and some customized VPS services as well, but together not within LET price range (7 USD per month).

Doesn't have to be LET price range. Sounds very interesting. Could you maybe send me an offer via PM? Thank you, also for the other helpful and detailed information.

(Reminder: Please also make sure your host node kernels are patched with: x86/kvm: fix LAPIC timer drift when guest uses periodic mode https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10411125/ because I'd like to use OpenBSD.)