Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any reason why I should not buy the Mi Pad 4 for 150€?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any reason why I should not buy the Mi Pad 4 for 150€?

Looking to get a budget android tablet for myself mainly for surfing and watching netflix&prime etc and some casual games like SFgame, Idle Heroes... Budget is max. 200€.
I was looking at the Kindle with 10 inches for 150€ish but the Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 Wifi 32 GB ROM and 3GB RAM along with Snapdragon 660 and their highly praised colorful IPS display looks just a bit nicer. Plus we've already a kindle in the family (my dad has one as I already made a thread some time prior to this one). Mi Pad 4 only has 8 inches but that's aight by me.

Comments

• Are you reading my mind or something?

Currently looking at the gearbest site for the 4GB/64GB model of this tablet at 200 EUR.

Also, looking at the same site for the Lenovo P8 (3GB, Snapdragon 625). This one costs around 115 EUR, and probably would be enough for casual usage.

Thanked by 2Ympker coreflux
  • @yomero said:
    Are you reading my mind or something?

Currently looking at the gearbest site for the 4GB/64GB model of this tablet at 200 EUR.

Also, looking at the same site for the Lenovo P8 (3GB, Snapdragon 625). This one costs around 115 EUR, and probably would be enough for casual usage.

Hehe^^

Well I've also found some cheaper ones but tbh I really like the Mi Pad 4 design and it is supposed to draw out the best of the IPS panel. Only downside is apparently due to Widevine level 3 (google it) supposedly it can't stream netflix in HD although netflix somewhere states Snapdragon 660 can stream it in HD and users who install Netflix via apkmirror don't have the problem either. I just checked via app "DRM Info" and my Xiaomi Mi A 1 phone also has Level 3 while only Level 1 is supposedly allowed to stream Netflix in HD (it's basically some sort of DRM). I tested on my phone and while I shouldn't be able to my movies on flix stream crystal clear without appearing to use 480p only. Don't really know what to think of this now haha.

• Kiwi83Kiwi83 Member
    edited September 2018

I was about to share some first hand experience then I saw your reply to yomero. Well, maybe you know much more than I do about MiPad 4. LOL

I'd say just buy it since you've already done a lot research. It's totally worth the money if you really need a tablet. It doesn't have any big drawbacks that makes me regret afterward. Not a bad choice for watching movies and play cusual games. The screen is a little small for reading PDF files though.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2018

@Kiwi83 said:
    I was about share some first hand experience then I saw your reply to yomero. Well, maybe you know much more than I do about MiPad 4. LOL

I'd say just buy it since you've already done a lot research. It's totally worth the money if you really need a tablet. It doesn't have any big drawbacks that makes me regret afterward. Not a bad choice for watching movies and play cusual games. The screen is a little small for reading PDF files though.

Haha :D Well I've just done a bit of reading to be fair. Anyway can you whatsoever reproduce that Netflix HD issue or is it crisp for you too? Where did you buy it? Aliexpress/Gearbest/Tradingshenzen..?

Yeah not planning to read a lot of PDFs haha

• One of the problems with Xiaomi android devices (coming from a Mi 5 user) is the software: it is trash.

The software is absolutely terrible for any western user, especially since push notifications don't get delivered properly.

I ended up rooting and installing Lineage OS which ruins the battery life.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @ehhthing said:
    One of the problems with Xiaomi android devices (coming from a Mi 5 user) is the software: it is trash.

The software is absolutely terrible for any western user, especially since push notifications don't get delivered properly.

Isn't MiUI loved my so many ppl? Anyway thanks for the mention.

• Go for it ... +1 for Xiaomi

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @ehhthing said:
    One of the problems with Xiaomi android devices (coming from a Mi 5 user) is the software: it is trash.

I use MiUI and it's amazing, no problem whatsoever with notifications on my Mi5. Way better than Samsung's crap.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Hybrid said:

@ehhthing said:

I use MiUI and it's amazing, no problem whatsoever with notifications on my Mi5. Way better than Samsung's crap.

In my books, Miui is much worse than Samsung, but Samsung is already pretty bad.

Pure Android FTW!

• ehhthing said: I ended up rooting and installing Lineage OS which ruins the battery life.

Is that with the LOS official ROM for the device?

• @ehhthing said:

Yes this could be annoying. Though MIUI is quite popular among Chinese users, it's not designed for people from other countries. Many features that makes it unique are removed in English version.

I bought one from a local store last month when I was in China. Google services are not install by defualt. I had to do some hacks to make YouTube and other Google Apps work properly.
    I don't know wether they have a version with Google services installed for international market.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I love my Mi Pad 1. MIUI is rock solid for me but I went with custom Lineage for Android 7 support.

Mi Pad 4 sounds awesome except the screen. Not sure if it's good or not. Resolution ans ppi are not very high.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • The Mi pad 4 look's awesome for the price! I'd get it.
    Just for fun, also have a look at the Samsung galaxy tab s2 before you buy.
    It's old'ish, but: 3:2 OLED (8 & 10"), superthin, superlight! Very tempting to me, but starts at 230€.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • My Redmi 4X has been going strong for 1+ years, great phone, and durable as well (I dropped it often and no screen cracks yet)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Kiwi83 said:

@ehhthing said:

Yes this could be annoying. Though MIUI is quite popular among Chinese users, it's not designed for people from other countries. Many features that makes it unique are removed in English version.

I bought one from a local store last month when I was in China. Google services are not install by defualt. I had to do some hacks to make YouTube and other Google Apps work properly.
    I don't know wether they have a version with Google services installed for international market.

Had to install google services / play store on my dad's Fire HD as well so not a big deal^^

• @ehhthing said:

There is settings for every app, notification, battery usage etc. Allow app to run in the background and enable notifications, you will be good

• edited September 2018

I am owning an mi pad 4 (3GB/32GB) for $170 and has been using it for more than a month now.
    Using the Stock rom (chinese) but switched to English (you can choose English when you first setup the tablet) and install Playstore (with an APK to install Google services from miui forum). No need to root or unlock bootloader.

It's running better than 625 (double the performance), MIUI no button gestures are great and the tablet fit in hand. No bad comment so far.
    The only down side is that it has some bloatware which can't be removed, but I guess every android devices have some, even samsung or sony.

Note: The screen is 8 inch FullHD+ so it's a little unsatisfying when you look at it up close.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2018

There's a mi pad 4 plus as well with a 10" screen with similar ish cost.

Only thing to keep in mind for Netflix / Amazon PrimeVideo is that it doesn't carry WideVine L1 support, so you can't play HD Netflix / PrimeVideo on it.

Edit: I'd go for the 4GB RAM varient if the cost difference isnt too much, just having a bit extra helps at times with heavy games/futureproof-ness.

Thanked by 2that_guy vimalware
  • I would go for it too. Xiaomi makes really good products for a great price. Got myself a Xiaomi Mi Notebook Pro, can't be happier! This thing is really well built and costs half the price of similar high-end laptops...

Thanked by 2Ympker netomx
  • I'm on my second xiaomi redmi note x phone. First order of business was to install a launcher as I couldn't get on with the miui interface. That apart, the phones have been rock solid, and at those prices I plan to buy a new phone every two years. Also have their 4k drone, which is an amazing piece of kit.

• ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited September 2018

The reason against would be that casual gaming and netflix/prime are not worthwhile activities that require an investment of capital in order to sustain them.

Thanked by 2elliotc yomero
  • I'm about to replace my Sony Xperia z3 compact tablet this thread has come up at a good time. Is there a good community around custom ROMs for Mi Pads in general?

• edited September 2018

SpeedBus said: There's a mi pad 4 plus as well with a 10" screen with similar ish cost.

I really don't recommend getting bigger screen while the 8-inch is just on the acceptable margin.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

I am using two cheap xiaomi phones under 200 usd ( well even less than 150 usd o be exact ) . They do what they advertise for . It is better to buy cheap phones or tab these days than shelling 1k for a iphone or ipad . At this cheap cost , you can change your tab every year with new features and spec without getting bankrupt .

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @ManofServer said:
    The reason against would be that casual gaming and netflix/prime are not worthwhile activities that require an investment of capital in order to sustain them.

And that's for you to decide? My girlfriend and me wanted to watch some Netflix in our apartment and found our phones too small while we didn't wanna bring a (huge) laptop.

• @Ympker said:

@ManofServer said:

And that's for you to decide? My girlfriend and me wanted to watch some Netflix in our apartment and found our phones too small while we didn't wanna bring a (huge) laptop.

Why not buy this?

• @Ympker said:

You could get a projector on EBay if that's cheaper.

• @saibal said:

@Ympker said:

You could get a projector on EBay if that's cheaper.

Usually requires a white wall to be effective + a tablet is very convenient for casual games :)

• xaocxaoc Member
    edited September 2018

@that_guy said:
    The Mi pad 4 look's awesome for the price! I'd get it.
    Just for fun, also have a look at the Samsung galaxy tab s2 before you buy.
    It's old'ish, but: 3:2 OLED (8 & 10"), superthin, superlight! Very tempting to me, but starts at 230€.

If movies are a must, the mi pad will be a better choice. I've yet to find a use'case for the 9.7" s2 (SD variant) and i've had it since release -_-. Plus the s2's speakers are trash.

The mi pad 4 has better specs like more ram, newer CPU, and a larger battery.

Thanked by 2Ympker Radi
  • @Ympker said:

@ManofServer said:

I'm just making small talk :D I also have netflix but would like to quit it one day.