Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help KVM IP Conflict and Server Data Changes on BuyVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help KVM IP Conflict and Server Data Changes on BuyVM

Hi

I opened this thread not for blaming anyone, just want to get more insight into what happened.

I have server buyvm kvm slice (lux dc) using Ubuntu 16.04.

I always log in using public key and disable root password login.

But recently, when SSH'ing into my server, I got this:

"WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED"

also, it's asked root password.

After open ticket, they explain they have IP conflict, and we agree to replace the IP.

But this is the weird thing when trying to SSH with new IP, it's still asked root password (remember, my old machine using public key). So I suspect this new IP not resolved into my old machine.

Then buyvm staff tries to reset root password so I can log in, but now my OS become Ubuntu 18.04 and there's no my data at all.

Is it a normal thing when IP changed then server data also lost?

Or maybe they have some routing problem so after IP changed, still not resolved into my old machine?

Thanks

@Francisco maybe you could help..

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Hello,

Did you ticket? Will be resolved quickly.

It's not common but it happens, usually an old openvz that didn't terminate/shutdown properly.

Francisco

• Just restore from your backups.

• Hello Francisco

Sure, this is my ticket #890609, but one of your staff keep telling me that's the new IP already resolved into my old machine. Could you please double check it for me?

Thanks

• @shallownorthdakota said:
    Just restore from your backups.

I dont mind to restore from my backups, but i just want to get more insight about what happened .. i suspect this new IP not resolved into my old machine

• Usually, when IP conflict happened, the provider will offer new IP to replace and you still have the same old machine

But if you didn't then maybe there's something else they need to check

Cmiiw

Thanked by 1livael
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

livael said: I dont mind to restore from my backups, but i just want to get more insight about what happened .. i suspect this new IP not resolved into my old machine

I looked into it further and there's no conflict, ARP's only go to your MAC address.

Did you do a reinstall by chance? Reset things with an ISO? The VPS hasn't been migrated or touched in any way, nodes not been rebooted/etc in a long time.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

livael said: I dont mind to restore from my backups, but i just want to get more insight about what happened .. i suspect this new IP not resolved into my old machine

I looked into it further and there's no conflict, ARP's only go to your MAC address.

Did you do a reinstall by chance? Reset things with an ISO? The VPS hasn't been migrated or touched in any way, nodes not been rebooted/etc in a long time.

Francisco

It was not me who said there is Ip conflict, but one of your staff told me that the problem occured because Ip conflict, so he asked me to change the IP to resolve the problem. And after my Ip changed I dont have my old data on my server...

• @livael said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

It was not me who said there is Ip conflict, but one of your staff told me that the problem occured because Ip conflict, so he asked me to change the IP to resolve the problem. And after my Ip changed I dont have my old data on my server...

Ah and I have never reinstall it.. thanks