Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSDNodes - how good and reliable are they?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSDNodes - how good and reliable are they?

rchurchrchurch Member
edited September 2018 in Providers

I just saw the pricing page for SSDNodes who are offering a 16Gb and 24Gb KVM for $7.99 and $9.99. They seem to have been around for some time and have some reviews here. Opinions on SSD nodes?, SSD Nodes KVM Flash Sale (paid-yearly), SSDNodes: NYC - 8GB RAM 40GB SSD for $5.50/month (billed ....

Are they currently reliable and trouble-free?

Do they have European locations?

Comments

• Those prices are only valid for 3 year plan, the 16Gb version is $20 for monthly contract.

• imokimok Member
    edited September 2018

Last time I tried the 32GB package, it didn't work well for me. The cPanel installation process fired some alarms and they told me I was being throttled because of high load.

They team were very friendly and refunded me. I'm still thinking to go back from time to time, maybe was just bad luck, but paying yearly for something I don't know how it will perform makes it hard to buy.

• cirrus_cloudcirrus_cloud Member
    edited September 2018

They had really good SSD speeds in Dallas when I last checked (like 1GB/s, the IOPS were high as well). You can probably find that comment in my post history. The CPU was great and not oversold.

• For the price, it's not bad. Uptime is good but, for me, disk I/O is just okay. However, for about $10/month, I won't complain.

• I used them for a personal "production" type product and it worked fine for what it was. Support was responsive in all facets. I was happy. Ultimately didn't need the service any more and was able to cancel quickly with little hassle. I would use them again, but like others said I/O was a little Meh for my taste.

• Yeah I had an issue where my server crashed

The didn't have any control over the server with a panel. So you had to make a ticket for repair at that time.

Big mistake on their end I think. So Like others I had to ask for a refund.

• I used their dedicated one. Fast, almost no downtime, support fixes any issues on demand but sometimes a bit slow to respond.

• Worked well for me but if you are going to use a lot of CPU then keep looking.

• SSDnodes is a scam and fraud company. Don't sign up. They will eat your money. Server is poor and Support is nil. No refund nothing.

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@aryanraj said:
    SSDnodes is a scam and fraud company. Don't sign up. They will eat your money. Server is poor and Support is nil. No refund nothing.

What happened my man? Nodes ate your monnies? Please, tell us your story. Tks

Thanked by 2Kwoon vimalware
  • @aryanraj said:
    SSDnodes is a scam and fraud company. Don't sign up. They will eat your money. Server is poor and Support is nil. No refund nothing.

Signed up July 2nd. 3 comments and all of them going after SSDNodes. Ummm...okay.

• WolfWolf Member

@jaypeesmith said:

@aryanraj said:

Signed up July 2nd. 3 comments and all of them going after SSDNodes. Ummm...okay.

Someone should show that guy the door or force him to tell us the complete story. These wild accusations without kind of proof, are not helpful and appear to be the opposite of the average user feedback on here.

Can some mod get this sorted?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I really hate their advertising model which I the advertised pricing is for 3 years prepayment.

Don’t use them ... if their marketing and upfront approach is deceiving just think about what else they are deceiving you as a real customer.

-1 for SSDNodes

Thanked by 1Kassem
  • jadenjaden Member

Another -1 experience. The year commitment can be a hassle and their advertising is carefully crafted and in the gray area of misleading.

I had two VPSes with them and they had a few periods of downtime (~30+ minutes at a time if I recall). Downtime happens, but they didn't provide any explanations.

Then when I noticed a process I didn't recognize and killed it, I got an all-caps email from support, saying I was in violation of their terms of service. I'd never heard of a provider that made you run certain processes and I didn't appreciate being accused of intentionally doing something wrong. The support rep backed off and sort of apologized when I explained the situation, but that left a bad impression. I don't plan to use their services again.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member

@jaden said:
    when I noticed a process I didn't recognize and killed it, I got an all-caps email from support, saying I was in violation of their terms of service

what was the process ?

• The fact that they want minimum 1 yr upfront fee and yet only have 14 day money back policy has always kept me from signing up. Many other members did not have good experience in the long run, disk I/O being the biggest problem. What if the performance doesn't come to expectation after 3 months ? you will be stuck with your money with them.

• jadenjaden Member

@uptime said:

@jaden said:
    when I noticed a process I didn't recognize and killed it, I got an all-caps email from support, saying I was in violation of their terms of service

what was the process ?

I don't recall the name of the process, but they referred to it as the balloon driver. They said the restriction was in their terms of service on page 4, but all I found was this generic statement:

CUSTOMER SPECIFICALLY AGREES NOT TO TAMPER WITH, MAKE DERIVATIVE WORKS OF, REVERSE COMPILE, REVERSE ENGINEER AND/OR DISASSEMBLE ANY OF STRASMORE’S SOFTWARE OR FILES. If Customer violates or exceeds the Permitted Use, Strasmore reserves the right to immediately terminate Customer’s account and will pursue any and all legal remedies available.

Thanked by 2uptime imok
  • uptimeuptime Member

@ jaden said:
    balloon driver

Aha, for their oversold ram ... I can see how that's a crucial process for their business model that they'd rather not mention explicitly.

Thanks for that detail.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@uptime said:

@ jaden said:
    balloon driver

Aha, for their oversold ram ... I can see how that's a crucial process for their business model that they'd rather not mention explicitly.

Thanks for that detail.

Probably qemu host agent actually. You'll find it running in VMs of a lot of providers (e.g. Hetzner) - but the difference is that they certainly won't kick you for disabling it.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited July 2019

Never liked ssdnodes

• sanvitsanvit Member

@jaden said:

@uptime said:

@jaden said:

what was the process ?

I don't recall the name of the process, but they referred to it as the balloon driver. They said the restriction was in their terms of service on page 4, but all I found was this generic statement:

CUSTOMER SPECIFICALLY AGREES NOT TO TAMPER WITH, MAKE DERIVATIVE WORKS OF, REVERSE COMPILE, REVERSE ENGINEER AND/OR DISASSEMBLE ANY OF STRASMORE’S SOFTWARE OR FILES. If Customer violates or exceeds the Permitted Use, Strasmore reserves the right to immediately terminate Customer’s account and will pursue any and all legal remedies available.

I thought those were KVMs? What happens if you install via ISO?

• imokimok Member
    edited July 2019

@sanvit you can't reinstall the server. You have to open a ticket for that (at least months ago was that way). ISO is not available.

• imok said: you can't reinstall the server. You have to open a ticket for that (at least months ago was that way). ISO is not available.

That is so outdated.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@imok said:
    @sanvit you can't reinstall the server. You have to open a ticket for that (at least months ago was that way). ISO is not available.

What's the point of being a KVM then?

• emghemgh Member

@sanvit said:

@imok said:

What's the point of being a KVM then?

Well there's software that doesn't play nice with OpenVZ.