Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a flat file CMS replacement for WordPress
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a flat file CMS replacement for WordPress

So i've hit multiple bottlenecks on my setup of two sites. And after running these for the past few months I've noticed a shitload of poor decisions made by it's developers.

At this point it's just too expensive for me to scale out wordpress, and would run my costs in the $$$. I'm looking to move all my content (300k posts) on both sites to a flat file based CMS where I can keep costs down to $$ and scale out where I'm hitting hardware bottlenecks, not the kind of shit im running into with WP.

Im currently looking at Hugo but open to suggestions. Things im looking for:

• REALLY fast
  • in-built caching
  • SEO support
  • easy to make automated posts - about 5 posts per second is a reasonable amount
  • should be able to migrate all from WP
  • usage of tags and categories and the like

Comments

• Quick question, w3 cache can make static content out of wordpress post. How is it differ than flat file ?

• couple of days ago i discovered https://getgrav.org/ and its wonderful. i hope enjoy it.

• For that level of content I would look at Hugo, migrating is going to be a headache though. GetGrav whilst good, will I suspect struggle at that level of content. They all will to be fair but I believe Hugo will handle it better overall.

I have seen Hugo handle 150k+ pages with images.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • How about hugo? There's an exporter script to export wordpress to markdown, but some images may need to edit with the link locations

• You could continue to run wordpress as the CMS, and use https://wordpress.org/plugins/simply-static/ or similar to convert it to a static site. You can lock down the wordpress installation to your IP and then deploy the static files to live.

The main issue with these plugins is I believe they all generate the entire site every run, no way to just generate new content, but I bet you could fork the plugin and add that functionality pretty easily and have a cron job to generate and deploy.

• @squibs said:
    You could continue to run wordpress as the CMS, and use https://wordpress.org/plugins/simply-static/ or similar to convert it to a static site. You can lock down the wordpress installation to your IP and then deploy the static files to live.

The main issue with these plugins is I believe they all generate the entire site every run, no way to just generate new content, but I bet you could fork the plugin and add that functionality pretty easily and have a cron job to generate and deploy.

@yokowasis said:
    Quick question, w3 cache can make static content out of wordpress post. How is it differ than flat file ?

Because caching plugins regenerate static content and with thousands of posts added every day it puts an immense amount of load on the servers. WordPress is not the solution for me.

@ehab said:
    couple of days ago i discovered https://getgrav.org/ and its wonderful. i hope enjoy it.

I've looked up grav and I don't see how it would fit my use case. It's too thin for me.

@Lee said:
    For that level of content I would look at Hugo, migrating is going to be a headache though. GetGrav whilst good, will I suspect struggle at that level of content. They all will to be fair but I believe Hugo will handle it better overall.

I have seen Hugo handle 150k+ pages with images.

I'm considering Hugo as well. Is there a REST API for adding posts and uploading attachments? How well does it deal with multiple posts simultaneously?

Apart from migration, theme redesign is another major issue for me, but for both I'm willing to spend some time if Hugo is stable enough for this.

I think I'll contact someone at Hugo directly and get some advice so for now I'm open to other CMS suggestions that I haven't heard of.

• mailinaboxmailinabox Member
    edited September 2018

use HTML. that fast my man.

Thanked by 1armandorg
  • @mailinabox said:

Loads of other threads out there if you just want to bump your post count or do whatever it is you're doing here.

Thanked by 1v3ng
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@varunchopra said:

@mailinabox said:

Loads of other threads out there if you just want to bump your post count or do whatever it is you're doing here.

You don't like HTML man?

On topic: Don't go with Grav, it is a pain. I would recommend https://www.bludit.com/ , has all the things you need, not sure about automated posts though. If you're loooking for something really fast, than http://www.nibbleblog.com/. Although this one is no longer maintained it has no security issues.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • Why are you trying to make 5 blog posts a second?

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

try flatpress

• Because caching plugins regenerate static content and with thousands of posts added every day it puts an immense amount of load on the servers. WordPress is not the solution for me.

I've just solved this using Varnish in front of Wordpress.

• @willie said:
    Why are you trying to make 5 blog posts a second?

Sorry for being blunt but why is that any of your concern?

@imok said:

Because caching plugins regenerate static content and with thousands of posts added every day it puts an immense amount of load on the servers. WordPress is not the solution for me.

Can you elaborate on this? What's your use case? Are you generating the same amount of content and traffic? I've given Varnish a shot as well but that was an awful experience.

• @imok said:

Can you elaborate on this? What's your use case? Are you generating the same amount of content and traffic? I've given Varnish a shot as well but that was an awful experience.

I manage a news website. With flash news there are a lot of users trying to visit the site but they are handled fine by Nginx. The problem was when the news are updated (and the cache flushed) and a lot of people is still hitting the website: a lot of request were going directly to php-fpm and mariadb. The whole server wasn't enough and I splitted it in:

1. Nginx (with cache enabled) + php-fpm
    2. MariaDB
    3. Redis

Didn't work.

But now I have everything in a small server for Wordpress, and I've put another server as a proxy to handle the cache better:

1. Nginx (for SSL termination) + Varnish cache. More cores, better.
    2. Nginx + php-fpm + MariaDB. This is a tiny server, no more Redis nor Memcached.

Still that way Nginx as a proxy eats more resources, but nothing goes down and I can move the proxy easily if resources are not enough. Also, if the backend goes down, Varnish serves stale cache.

If you don't use SSL, Varnish will be faster, much faster.

Thanked by 1varunchopra
  • varunchopra said: Sorry for being blunt but why is that any of your concern?

It is a surprising request and for one thing, understanding the use case could be helpful in figuring out workable solutions and whether you are describing an "XY problem" (look that term up if you don't know it). But your answer now makes me wonder if you're up to something spammy. This is a white hat site and we don't allow that.

Does anyone else have theories about what this person is trying to do?

• @willie said:

varunchopra said: Sorry for being blunt but why is that any of your concern?

It is a surprising request and for one thing, understanding the use case could be helpful in figuring out workable solutions and whether you are describing an "XY problem" (look that term up if you don't know it). But your answer now makes me wonder if you're up to something spammy. This is a white hat site and we don't allow that.

Does anyone else have theories about what this person is trying to do?

I'm trying to get recommendations for a flat file based CMS, as it says in the title. If scalability and HA are considered "black hat" or if creating posts on my own website is considered "spammy", you can close this thread.

• Creating 5 posts a second on your own website sounds like a splog. Closing per your request.

This discussion has been closed.