Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί LET - bug reports, improvements and feature requests. - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET - bug reports, improvements and feature requests.

Comments

• Perhaps it would be possible to add some sort of confirmation after clicking "Mark all viewed", at least on mobile?

• @qrwteyrutiyoup said:
    Perhaps it would be possible to add some sort of confirmation after clicking "Mark all viewed", at least on mobile?

That's a good idea. It's too easy to touch accidentally 'Mark all viewed'.

• How about the sending of funds as friends and family. That is a good way for some one to get scammed easily. Might be time to make a rule that if buying something from here you can not send the money as friends and family or something along those lines.

• @Falzo said:
    loading of user profiles takes ages since a few days... maybe something messed up with the DB indexing?

edit: looks like a render blocking and failing request for https://www.lowendtalk.com/js/library/jquery.jcrop.min.js?v=2.6.1 , takes about 15sec to time out...

just to report back, seems fixed for me now, thanks to whoever took care! ;-)

• Can I turn email notifications off?
    I have bookmarked some threads and I don't need email notifications when new messages are posted.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@MGarbis said:
    Can I turn email notifications off?
    I have bookmarked some threads and I don't need email notifications when new messages are posted.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/preferences/

Or, you know, you could simply unbookmark (unstar) the threads that you're receiving notifications for.

Thanked by 2MGarbis rm_
  • MGarbisMGarbis Member
    edited September 2018

@MasonR said:

@MGarbis said:
    Can I turn email notifications off?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/profile/preferences/

Or, you know, you could simply unbookmark (unstar) the threads that you're receiving notifications for.

Thanks mate! I think there's no preferences tab/link anywhere while using mobile site. (except your message) Am I right or just blind?

Unbookmarking isn't an option. Bookmarked threads may be usefull later. ;)

• MGarbis said: I have bookmarked some threads and I don't need email notifications when new messages are posted.

Create a filter on your email client and send the messages to the spam folder.

Thanked by 1MGarbis
  • AuroraZ said: Might be time to make a rule that if buying something from here you can not send the money as friends and family or something along those lines.

That has to be up to the people involved and certainly it should be ok that various private transactions happen here. It would be reasonable to put a warning into the template shown when someone receives a PM, saying to beware of scams, particularly those asking for F&F payment.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited September 2018

Come on, LET shouldn't be babysitting people in such a hardcore way.

If a dude doesn't have the common sense to filter out scams, what can LET do?

Thanked by 4rm_ Lee hedoo uxtvdl
  • @willie said:

AuroraZ said: Might be time to make a rule that if buying something from here you can not send the money as friends and family or something along those lines.

That has to be up to the people involved and certainly it should be ok that various private transactions happen here. It would be reasonable to put a warning into the template shown when someone receives a PM, saying to beware of scams, particularly those asking for F&F payment.

+1

I like that.

also still think at least a low bar limit like having 10 comments before being able to send out PMs would be useful. if people just spam their way through to it, they will at least get recognized early on their behaviour. for now nothing stops one from just signing up and bothering people in private (regardless if it is for vps, sneakers or whatever)

• deankdeank Member, Troll

But but ... I want more drama...

• @deank I understand what you are saying, but you have to remember this site has a rep as well. We do not want a rep like HF for here. I am not saying we need to hold people's hands, and drink their milk for them at all. As @willie said though a warning might be in order is all.

That is the main reason I do not say much around here anymore. Most want spoonfed answers and I am not willing to give it them. I will point them in right direction and let them figure it out. That way they learn, and hopefully retain some it for the future.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • I'm trying to post a tutorial but it won't allow me. It keeps asking me to key in a google captcha and forwards me to a "JSON"-like page: https://www.lowendtalk.com/post/discussion/tutorial?cf_waf_tk=111656008Jly1mhpfxQH43unRwBWdGZT-UUM

Do you have some kind of word limits or something? I tried cutting my thread into half and it is possible to preview my message but somehow it won't allow me if I post more than half of the tutorial?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Dedicadude said: Do you have some kind of word limits or something?

20000 characters

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Dedicadude said:
    I'm trying to post a tutorial but it won't allow me. It keeps asking me to key in a google captcha and forwards me to a "JSON"-like page: https://www.lowendtalk.com/post/discussion/tutorial?cf_waf_tk=111656008Jly1mhpfxQH43unRwBWdGZT-UUM

Do you have some kind of word limits or something? I tried cutting my thread into half and it is possible to preview my message but somehow it won't allow me if I post more than half of the tutorial?

The CF settings make it hard to write code in posts. Depending on what you have in your tutorial it could be the combination of words.

• Using Chrome on Android, from main page, f I click into a thread and then click Back, expectation is that my screen should go back to same scroll place as when I clicked into the thread. But instead, the page reloads and puts me at the top, making me scroll down again and find where I had just clicked through.

No other websites I browse has this behaviour. It's annoying.

Lol no other sites? That is ridiculously common, I agree not ideal but not uncommon.

• Of course it depends what web pages you use. I can't name other web page where's such a behaviour. Just like TimboJones.

• @TimboJones said:
    Using Chrome on Android, from main page, f I click into a thread and then click Back, expectation is that my screen should go back to same scroll place as when I clicked into the thread. But instead, the page reloads and puts me at the top, making me scroll down again and find where I had just clicked through.

No other websites I browse has this behaviour. It's annoying.

I complained of it too. It's annoying!

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Lol no other sites? That is ridiculously common, I agree not ideal but not uncommon.

Such as? I wasn't being flippant, I really am not aware of any other site I use that does this. The expected behaviour of clicking Back button is to take you back to where it was before you went forward. It's more common to get fooled by a cached page than reloading back to top of page.

On mobile, I'll just live with it. On desktop, I'll just open threads in a new tab and then just close when done. But I mostly browse this site on mobile and it's irritating.

But I'll argue, no, this isn't common on popular websites and forums.

• The webmaster can use jQuery for a workaround. I noticed this problem too and ita kinda annoying.

var scrollY = window.pageYOffset || document.documentElement.scollTop;

This will give you the vertical scroll position... you could (for example) store it in a cookie in the window.onbeforeunload handler.

Check this out:

https://browse-tutorials.com/tutorial/save-window-scroll-position-jquery

Speaking of cookie... you need that GDPR notice in the EU πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ and those disable cookie is unable to use this feature/function so the problem still exist but like i said it’s a good workaround... if your website is open source i could send a PR to fix it...

• DedicadudeDedicadude Member
    edited September 2018

Nevermind that! It seems like it was intended that way. Because pressing back button to show the same scroll position won’t show you the most updated posts on top since in busy forums back button should refresh the main page...

This question was closed 13 years ago πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1182/back-button-always-goes-to-top-of-page

• @Dedicadude said:
    Nevermind that! It seems like it was intended that way. Because pressing back button to show the same scroll position won’t show you the most updated posts on top since in busy forums back button should refresh the main page...

This question was closed 13 years ago πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1182/back-button-always-goes-to-top-of-page

I haven't checked that thread, but I'd argue they don't know what the "Back" button and "reload" buttons are for. Most people just learn the names of the buttons and not try and force strange behaviour on the rest of us. I could probably live if this behaviour was limited to page 1 where that rationale only barely makes sense.

That being said, the solution could be to load the latest but still scroll the view to where you last left off. I'll try and see if redflagdeals forum does both of these correctly. They definitely have good back operation. And RFD's deals are way more time sensitive than on LET that would possibly warrant a forced refresh to show you new.

• DedicadudeDedicadude Member
    edited September 2018

@TimboJones yup, i think it was an excuse rather than a solution. such a poor UX (user experience)... vanilla is a very old software, the community behind the open source project is lacking and the dev focus more on their business/enterprise plan. just look at this website, it's like one of those 90's forum... even the plugins/themes are mostly outdated... some even moved their community to reddit (for example)...

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2018

LET is extremely slow from Germany (Unitymedia and Telekom)

Thanked by 1Falzo

loads fine from here, maybe contact your ISP to ask why they hate LET, that's the outlier variable here :)

• @v3ng said:
    LET is extremely slow from Germany (Unitymedia and Telekom)

can confirm the issue for unitymedia, no problems in the office via O2 or on mobile via vodafone.

interesting enough, this is the render blocking request:

but other .js files load just fine from the same cloudflare pop/IP/path:

so can't tell why this specific one times out and what this has to do with it being somehow ISP related?! will check back when in the office later...

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

[Feature Request]
    I think it would be good if a company name was shown on providers's profiles. I've seen people with the Provider tag offering stuff here, without a clear indication on who they represent.