Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which VPS: 1 CPU core of E5 or E3 for wordpress
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which VPS: 1 CPU core of E5 or E3 for wordpress

My vps provider offered similar vps plan on either E5 or E3 node.

They're giving 1 CPU core on fair-share basis (ram, disk, data transfer, and pricing are same)

**E5 comes with 2.20 GHz, E3 comes with 3.40 GHz **

I'll be throwing in Apache or Ngnix and running worpdress sites on it (expecting 5000 visitors a day)

Considering Wordpress is CPU hog, (and I'll be caching posts), which vps plan should I choose? E5 node or E3 node?

Comments

• williewillie Member
    edited September 2018

5k/day is nothing. This may sound a little counterintuitive but I'd possibly go with the E5. The E3 has faster cores but fewer of them, so the workload won't be spread around as much, and performance may fluctuate more. E.g. as Fran said on the other thread, if some bitcoin mining script gets loose and takes over a core, it has more impact on an E3 than an E5. Also the software economics are more efficient on an E5 as he also explained. So on the E3, the host is burning more licensing money per user that they can use on the E5 to give you better service.

Really though, stop worrying. WP is a performance pig but your view count is low. If it's fast enough, declare victory and get some sleep. If it's slow but static pages are fast, shut off your bloaty plugins and do other optimizations til both are fast. If static pages are also slow, your host has problems so open a ticket or move.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • Keep in mind that the single cpu core will have to deal with mysql, php, nginx, cronjobs, logging. Pretty much anything. 5k is nothing? I'll be thinking again about this in a vps (also defined as fair-share)..

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • williewillie Member
    edited September 2018

sdfantini said: 5k is nothing

5k per day is nothing. 5k per second starts to get interesting. Note mysql in shared hosting is typically on a separate server. At 5k/day you probably want some basic caching plugin but the WP gurus around here are much more familiar with that stuff than I am.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • 1 core i think is not enought... but if you think for only one core i will give a shot to e3..

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@willie said:
    5k/day is nothing. This may sound a little counterintuitive but I'd possibly go with the E5. The E3 has faster cores but fewer of them, so the workload won't be spread around as much, and performance may fluctuate more. E.g. as Fran said on the other thread, if some bitcoin mining script gets loose and takes over a core, it has more impact on an E3 than an E5. Also the software economics are more efficient on an E5 as he also explained. So on the E3, the host is burning more licensing money per user that they can use on the E5 to give you better service.

Really though, stop worrying. WP is a performance pig but your view count is low. If it's fast enough, declare victory and get some sleep. If it's slow but static pages are fast, shut off your bloaty plugins and do other optimizations til both are fast. If static pages are also slow, your host has problems so open a ticket or move.

If you are cramming the same work load on an E5 and E3 CPU, then you're probably better off with the E5 core. But with E3s, you have far less RAM available, which limits how dense you can make it. Anything pre v5 is limited to 32GB RAM, whereas an E5 can easily have 768GB (although it's more likely to be 128GB ish).

In virtualization nodes, I would imagine most E3s are maxed out with ram and an E5 would probably have between 64 and 128GB per socket.

If comparing an older E3 with 32GB and a similar aged E5 with 64-128GB RAM, you it is likely that the node will host at least as many VMs per core as an E3. If that's the case, then the higher clock speed may really be quite helpful.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • BUY E3!

/done

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Couldn't you use your other threads for this? You've been asking basically the same questions for last 6 days.

Thanked by 1willie
  • Both of them should be able to handle a 5000 UV/day website, as long as you are not using MPM Prefork with Apache.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited September 2018

@deank said:
    Couldn't you use your other threads for this? You've been asking basically the same questions for last 6 days.

1. my other questions were related to shared (from different providers) and this is related to vps (that too from single provider). - learn the difference.

2. the answers I found here are mostly vague, unclear, nebulous. Only few advice were clear and definite. Those who provided legitimate, informative and enlighting advice have been "thanked" here.

3. I got more clear response on another forum than LET in just one single post. (didn't find any need to make people understand through 4-5 threads spanning 6-7 days about what technical information I needed.)

4. I don't waste mine and anybody's time by writing "end is nigh" on every post. I only reply/write if I need information or want to share my experience on the respective topic(s)

• @dedipromo said:
    Both of them should be able to handle a 5000 UV/day website, as long as you are not using MPM Prefork with Apache.

thanks. I'll use apache with ngnix reverse proxy or directly ngnix webserver.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Of course you get better answers elsewhere.

This is LowEndTalk. What else did you expect?