Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why hosting providers like to use Maxmind to judge "Fraud" ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why hosting providers like to use Maxmind to judge "Fraud" ?

2»

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• psb777 said: I don't think so. For example Cloudflare don't screen users or police your content before they let potentially reputation-damaging content go through their network. They don't even ask for your name when you sign up.

You can't do anything to damage CloudFlare's reputation (really)

With a web host, you can send a ton of spam and have their IPs blacklisted within a few hours if new customers are not checked

• Let's time to respect your clients in first place.

• @Ole_Juul said:

WebProject said: Tell one country where the government will ban or jail you from ordering the hosting, VPS or dedicated server services and you are 100% required to use VPN for it? The Chinese honest customers never use VPN to order services from my experience.

It sounds to me like you're deliberately misunderstanding that reality. For example, I use a VPN and it's a nuisance to change to another computer and bypass it when ordering something, so I forget and they mark me as fraud. That's downright insulting and I think there is no reason for it. Vendors also need to watch their manners and act like decent people. Being told that I'm a fraud is not nice and they should know that. In this day and age it is common to use a VPN, and it is getting more so. Really, it is none of their business whether I do or not, and it is simply the wrong thing to filter on.

Man, butt hurt whining. waaahhh. SMH. Oh, it's a hassle to switch computers or disable a VPN, so its on the company to take on much higher risk? rolls eyes

You think a provider should take financial loss so that your feelings aren't hurt from a manual review before being setup? Christ, get a backbone, FFS. If you were upset that it slowed down the automated server setup or something while waiting for manual approval, that is valid complaint.

I wouldn't want any customers who get upset over a message like "Your order has been flagged as potentially high risk and therefore it has been held for manual review". It's like one of these people that go out of their way to get upset over nothing.

Customer verification is pretty common.

• TimboJones said: Man, butt hurt whining. waaahhh. SMH. Oh, it's a hassle to switch computers or disable a VPN, so its on the company to take on much higher risk? rolls eyes

Man, you are one rude little kid. :) So I'm an old fart and I forget to do that. It's not that I can't do it if I remember. I make a point of being a good customer and indeed I take a few things like that on the chin. However, it does seem that there are a lot of arrogant and poorly brought up little kids like you in business these days who don't know how to behave, and calling someone a fraud is not something which used to be acceptable behaviour. Perhaps your generation thinks it's OK. Mine doesn't. That it's a script and not a person makes no nevermind, it still shows bad upbringing and/or lack of sensitivity.

TimboJones said: I wouldn't want any customers who get upset over a message like "Your order has been flagged as potentially high risk and therefore it has been held for manual review".

Let me know what company you run or work for. You don't deserve any business.

Thanked by 2rm_ zed
  • Fraud checks are bit like people who install a firewall on their fresh VPS to block IPs, or people who use captchas. It doesn't solve the problem.

Chargebacks can easily be countered by offering payment methods that can't be charged back. That way no customer has to be rejected.

• @lukehebb said:

psb777 said: I don't think so. For example Cloudflare don't screen users or police your content before they let potentially reputation-damaging content go through their network. They don't even ask for your name when you sign up.

You can't do anything to damage CloudFlare's reputation (really)

With a web host, you can send a ton of spam and have their IPs blacklisted within a few hours if new customers are not checked

That's not web hosting, which is by definition a service that makes your website accessible via the World Wide Web.

• Neil-SFNeil-SF Member, Host Rep

Why the hosting providers care if their customer filled in the true info or not?

We have laws to comply with. It's our responsibility to ensure we collect the correct information.

This is something I can't understand.

Hmm let's see.

Personally, I hate leaking my address, cell phone, or other identity information in transactions even less than $10.

This is why you're getting flagged.

• @psb777 said:
    That's not web hosting, which is by definition a service that makes your website accessible via the World Wide Web.

Just a matter of semantics.

@mikec said:
    Web hosting is a complex business model. A bad customer will damage your network reputation and thus impacting other good customers.

There, I changed it for you...and the gist is still the same.

• Order from provider who use BillManager CP, they never check IP address and only need first name, email and sometimes ask for confirm mobile phone number by SMS. No more action needed. True and safe.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I feel many of you just don't understand how easy it is to lose a lot of money if you are not doing these fraud checks. If I sell you a service for $5 per month and just one of those charges back, I lose the $5 and the chargeback fee, typically around $25. That $25 is 5 x the monthly revenue of one client.

As for using bitcoin (like some suggested), that is simply not realistic. Customers expect Paypal and credit card to be offered. If they are not offered you will go out of business.

Are the systems perfect? of course not but they are 100% necessary. If you order is incorrectly marked all you need to do is open a dialog with the provider and explain the situation. And if you can't make the effort to talk to your provider then, I would have serious concerns (as a provider) about how you would react if an actual service issue happened.

On the topic of 'fake details', if you cannot trust your provider with that information you probably should not be signing up with them. How can the provider trust you if you cannot trust them? We take many steps to protect our business and client base from threats, in any form.

Fraud checks are not personal, it's just business. As clients choose their providers, providers choose their clients while weighing the risk.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Awmusic12635 said: I feel many of you just don't understand how easy it is to lose a lot of money if you are not doing these fraud checks.

Providers who use BillManager without any IP and postal address checks stay in business for many years without any issue. Why? That impossible to be clean all the time Just some kind of paranoid.

• lbftlbft Member

Hukin said: Providers who use BillManager without any IP and postal address checks stay in business for many years without any issue. Why? That impossible to be clean all the time Just some kind of paranoid.

I can't remember the last time I saw a cheap VPS provider use that software that isn't from Russia or Ukraine...

• HukinHukin Member
    edited August 2018

lbft said: I can't remember the last time I saw a cheap VPS provider use that software that isn't from Russia or Ukraine...

Probably yes because they has a lifetime BillManager license. But sometimes other CIS and Baltic providers uses it also. How many chargebacks they have. No more than others. Also in many countries Credit Card chargeback almost impossible. Need to physically visit bank, get a lot of paperworks and sign many documents, tell reason that wait a few days. For $5 it just rude of waste time. So better to improve security of local bank system where CC chargebacks allowed just only by phone call.

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    I feel many of you just don't understand how easy it is to lose a lot of money if you are not doing these fraud checks. If I sell you a service for $5 per month and just one of those charges back, I lose the $5 and the chargeback fee, typically around $25. That $25 is 5 x the monthly revenue of one client.

As for using bitcoin (like some suggested), that is simply not realistic. Customers expect Paypal and credit card to be offered. If they are not offered you will go out of business.

Huh.. there is also bank transfers and sending cash. And it only needs to be the first payment, the consequent ones can be made via CC/Paypal.

I have actually experienced this myself on a website (first payment had to be a bank transfer because my order "looked suspicious").

There is really no need to reject a customer who really wants to be your customer.

torrbox said: There is really no need to reject a customer who really wants to be your customer.

Maybe in a perfect world, sadly we are not living in one.

torrbox said: Huh.. there is also bank transfers and sending cash.

You want to have people do bank transfers for $5-7$ payments?

As for physically mailing money, no thank you.

Much of what allows these systems to work at scale is automation. Automated collecting of payments, marking invoices as paid renewing services etc.

There is also cost benefit. 99.99% of customers will not want or do this if I were to offer it. Making the effort in setting it up and maintaining it pointless.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

What do you need to setup to be able to accept a bank transfer ?

Clouvider said: What do you need to setup to be able to accept a bank transfer ?

If I am going to be accepting bank transfers on a consistent basis would I really want to have to manually manage it each time? I would want the full payment module integration with whmcs.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Why would you need a full integration if, as you said, it’s an odd occurrence ?

You have a bank account already presumably, why not accept an odd payment to verify the Customer if they really want ?

Clouvider said: Why would you need a full integration if, as you said, it’s an odd occurrence ?

You have a bank account already presumably, why not accept an odd payment to verify the Customer if they really want ?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It just isn't worth it for me (to offer it to one person) if I am not doing it overall. We don't offer wire transfer at all currently.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • torrbox said: Huh.. there is also bank transfers and sending cash

If you within EU yes that perfect even for 1 Eur, but if not that a huge problem. Not a everyone live in. Charge 25-45 Eur for transfer 5 Eur just useless.

• @Ole_Juul said:

TimboJones said: Man, butt hurt whining. waaahhh. SMH. Oh, it's a hassle to switch computers or disable a VPN, so its on the company to take on much higher risk? rolls eyes

Man, you are one rude little kid. :) So I'm an old fart and I forget to do that. It's not that I can't do it if I remember. I make a point of being a good customer and indeed I take a few things like that on the chin. However, it does seem that there are a lot of arrogant and poorly brought up little kids like you in business these days who don't know how to behave, and calling someone a fraud is not something which used to be acceptable behaviour. Perhaps your generation thinks it's OK. Mine doesn't. That it's a script and not a person makes no nevermind, it still shows bad upbringing and/or lack of sensitivity.

TimboJones said: I wouldn't want any customers who get upset over a message like "Your order has been flagged as potentially high risk and therefore it has been held for manual review".

Let me know what company you run or work for. You don't deserve any business.

Well, you seem to think calling someone a little kid is an insult (let some irony sink in here). I'll take it as a compliment, given my actual age. But continue to think you're such a holy person :)

My main point, is that you're not in fact being called a fraud, you are being explained WHY there is a delay in processing and that manual approval is needed. This is typical in many lines of business that involves applications, such as home, banking accounts, credit cards or joining some clubs. Bad people abuse systems used by good people, requiring good people to experience a little bit of hassle, like a pat down at a concert (airports being extreme example of this). Don't be so sensitive to not automatically being trusted,** you're NOT being called a fraud**. Period. Don't be so sensitive.

As a consultant, it's perfectly fine if a client wants references from me for showing good work done for previous clients. I'd also not accept a client if they had a poor attitude and made ridiculous demands and couldn't handle proper explanations and the truth. I don't dumb shit down to non-tech people or lie, I explain it until they understand. I'm also going to take measures to ensure I will be paid for my work. I have ZERO room for non-payment for my services performed. My time is my life and what I live on. I have sympathy for being ripped off after providing fair and honest goods and services.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

FraudRecord and Maxmind are just tools to determine the validity of an order/customer. If you feel it has been in error the customer can always reach out to the provider for manual assessment.

Why would a customer want to provide fraudulent information? What if it was reversed? Have you ever heard of a business that operated under false pretenses. A provider who bait and switch, or didn't provide what you ordered. Would you like that? No, because it's illegal and not good practices. It's a two way street.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2018

Many times, when I purchased VPS, my order was banned by whcms,(such as Your order has been flagged as potentially high risk and therefore it has been held for manual review) most due to my account info.

Many VPS buy pests. The cheaper the service the more pests come to. For this reason such checks. Sell cheap VPS, and then your networks will be in Spamhaus or somewhere else. There is a risk and it is minimized.

Providers who use BillManager without any IP and postal address checks stay in business for many years without any issue. Why? That impossible to be clean all the time Just some kind of paranoid.

It's real. This billing for manual processing is almost always. Integration with automatic crooked work sometimes works better by hand.

Also in many countries Credit Card chargeback almost impossible. Need to physically visit bank, get a lot of paperworks and sign many documents, tell reason that wait a few days.

Yes. The law of the Russian Federation allows you not to make any refunds of money. Many different nuances. So just do not describe in a few words.

I wish you didn't consider "ordered from a different country IP than in account details" to be a punishable offense though. In many countries the Internet is strictly censored and filtered, so we casually browse through a VPN just all the time. Dragging a user through a round of hassle simply because they forgot to disable that, seems way too harsh and unjustified. Even in US and the like, after Snowden et al people are becoming more privacy-conscious so VPNs are the getting closer to the new norm for browsing. Why not accept it as such. It's not like you're guaranteeing yourself much with this blind geo-matching, and it's not like it's difficult to circumvent for a dedicated abuser.

Even after blocking sites half the country goes with VPN on the Internet.