Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Such server and VMs config (network) is doable?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Such server and VMs config (network) is doable?

blackfluxblackflux Member
edited August 2018 in Help

Hey guys, such config like on this image is doable with Proxmox or Vmware Esxi when server have just one NIC? Any tips how get this done?

Comments

• reditredit Member, Host Rep

Yes this should be doable if you switch supports VLANs.

Put each of the ports that each of you routers are connected into into a VLAN and then the port that is connected to you vm host as a trunk. Finally you will need to create virtual switches or untag the traffic within the vm server for each of your different vms as needed.

If you can provide router/switch and host details I may be able to give more advise as we have done this a few times for different reasons.

Thanked by 1blackflux
  • LyphiardLyphiard Member, Host Rep

You should be able to create a VLAN trunk between the switch (if it's managed) and the server.

Thanked by 1blackflux
  • Fu**, switch i have is not managed. Its doable without managed switch or i need to get one?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yes, you just set the GW on the VM and have ACL's on the routers, you don't need vlans or managed switches.

Obviously the use case and infrastructure type and control is very important here, but that's pretty simple and can be achieved with simple subnetting and ACL's

Thanked by 1blackflux
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:
    Yes, you just set the GW on the VM and have ACL's on the routers, you don't need vlans or managed switches.

Obviously the use case and infrastructure type and control is very important here, but that's pretty simple and can be achieved with simple subnetting and ACL's .

On his topology he's listing the connections as physical links. Obviously can't be done with one single NIC, however making the link as trunk, carrying the 3 vlans is the closest thing he could get.

@blackflux what is the purpose of this setup? It's obviously not related to redundancy, considering the multiple single points of failure.

Thanked by 1blackflux
  • VLAN effectively makes a switch multiple switches. Without a managed switch and VLAN, you'd have to use physical devices for each connections, so extra 2 NICs for both VMs, and extra 2 cables (or maybe through 2 other switches) to the router.

Thanked by 1blackflux
  • blackfluxblackflux Member
    edited August 2018

@AlexBarakov
    No special purpose, i have 3 lte routers in my home and would like to setup 2vms on my old PC and use different router for each VM. I know that with multiple NICs it would be probably way easier but i dont want to buy extra lan card unless i have to.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@blackflux said:
    @AlexBarakov
    No special purpose, i have 3 lte routers in my home and would like to setup 2vms on my old PC and use different router for each VM. I know that with multiple NICs it would be probably way easier but i dont want to buy extra lan card unless i have to.

I see. In all cases you'd need something to aggregate the connections to a single port. Be it a "core router" or a switch.

Thanked by 1blackflux
  • Actually, if separating subnets is the only requirement, then just put everything on the same switch while maintaining different subnets should just work for you.

VLANs are needed to isolate some other stuff like DHCP service. Making everything static IPs and give it a shot?

Thanked by 1blackflux
  • freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

The easiest method is to just have them all on the same Layer 2 LAN and configure 3 separate IP subnets. There is nothing preventing this from working, but you would have no isolation between networks (may or may not be important in your specific case).

The more correct answer is to get a switch that supports VLANs, trunk the 3 VLANs into your hypervisor and setup separate bridges, each on it's own VLAN. Then, on the switch end, have 3 ports (one on each VLAN) connected to the respective router.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2018

Lol, it's In his house and that diagram was done in mspaint.

Any dumb switch will do manually configure the everything and the VMs and use a /22 subnet and your done. No vlans no trunks needed.

Clearly this is not being done for security, forget your over complicated dc level suggestions and solutions.

If the OP would tell us the use case it's likely that this would not even need a /22 and could be done,on a regular /24

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2018

If LTE routers each operate on a different subnet, and you don’t need to have the physical separation, then you don’t need a managed switch.

If that’s for yourself and you don’t need routing security between VMs you don’t even need AC”/

Just plug them all to a single bridge, connect all LTE to a single switch, together with the server, and configure the VM with the IP from each router.

Note, on that case you probably want the DHCP disables on LTE routers @blackflux