Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cant even install nginx on OVH Singapore server.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cant even install nginx on OVH Singapore server.

Hello, is anyone here using OVH Asia VPS? What's your average port speed?
Im trying to install nginx from stable repo, but with this download speed ...

Comments

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2018

dfmcvn said: 12:22PM in General FlagThanks

Hello, is anyone here using OVH Asia VPS? What's your average port speed? Im trying to install nginx from stable repo, but with this download speed ...

You are asking the wrong question. Where is the repo you are using located, is the correct question to be asking? It is very likely that that repo is in the US or in another country somewhere that doesn't have any good routes to your location -- you are using a budget (OVH) server in Singapore and high quality routes are expensive there, so if you are pulling data from international destinations it isn't unrealistic to expect slower speeds like that. Instead you may try to see if you can find a repo mirror in country and try to use it, if none is available you could mention this to Nginx in an e-mail and let them know of the poor performance you are seeing from Singapore as maybe they will be able to address it on their side by adding a new repo or having routes changed to their location. I would guess you are likely not the only one seeing this issue, so letting them know about it would probably be a good idea!

All that said, you could also ticket OVH and just let them know you are seeing this slow down and see if they have any recourse to alter the routes to make it better as well.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• lionlion Member

try another mirror?

• Try disabling IPv6. I've found OVH's v6 network in Singapore to be spotty at best.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited August 2018

@Boltersdriveer said:
    Try disabling IPv6. I've found OVH's v6 network in Singapore to be spotty at best.

Whereas OVH's v6 Network in Sydney is skippy at best.

• @Shot2 said:

@Boltersdriveer said:
    Try disabling IPv6. I've found OVH's v6 network in Singapore to be spotty at best.

Whereas OVH's v6 Network in Sydney is skippy at best.

Click click click 'ere Skippy!

• barkbark Member

I used OVH SG for a month. Debian 9. SG source list. Extremely slow across the board. Cancelled.