Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner launch dedi-vCPU cloud instances- starting €19.9/ 2vCPUs - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner launch dedi-vCPU cloud instances- starting €19.9/ 2vCPUs

2»

Comments

• Netcup is half the price (even on a monthly contract).
    Also, I suspect a lot of people jumped on the SAS version and hammered the IO.

I think it would be worthwhile if someone on netcup G8-Rootserver SSD version posts their geekbench scores too.

• neikneik Member

@athan, good point there, new product, clean empty nodes.

@vimalware, my RS is indeed with SAS storage.

Well, it is not that I am unsatisfied with the performance but I am wondering how this quite big gap can exist using similar HW.

• @neik said:
    Well, it is not that I am unsatisfied with the performance but I am wondering how this quite big gap can exist using similar HW.

I don't think that netcup's are true dedicated hardware cpu cores (threads).
    On a RS1000/G8 I own I'm encountering heavy performance deviation during day and almost 50% lower IO than when got it two months ago.

Only a BuyVM slice I used to own was performing like a true dedi thread (though older arch).
    Sadly I had to drop it because their EU (lux) network routing was very bad.

• athan said: On a RS1000/G8 I own I'm encountering heavy performance deviation during day and almost 50% lower IO than when got it two months ago.

That sounds separate from CPU. They don't claim the i/o is dedicated afaik.

vfuse said: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/9344676

32 core: 47821 8 core: 24352 8 core shared: 12648

Oh that is pretty sad, the shared 8 core back in January got 22457 (https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/6624222) so I guess the nodes are saturated now. Also the current 32 vcore instance is less than 2x the speed of the 8 core, oops. Nobody seems to have tested the 16 vcore instance fwiw.

I saw someplace that Intel might ditch hyperthreading on i7 cpus, possibly as a spectre mitigation, but if that happens in server products, dedicated cores will mean something again. Anyway, it seems to me that bare metal and/or smaller vserver instances are still the best bet for heavy computation.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • neikneik Member
    edited August 2018

willie said: That sounds separate from CPU. They don't claim the i/o is dedicated afaik.

That's correct only the CPU is advertised as dedicated the whole environment aroun the CPU is shared.

athan said: Only a BuyVM slice I used to own was performing like a true dedi thread (though older arch).

Perf/$ Netcup is far better than BuyVM, thus no alternative to Netcup - at least for me.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • neik said: Perf/$ Netcup is far better than BuyVM, thus no alternative to Netcup - at least for me.

For heavy cpu I gave up on VPS a long time ago and just use dedis. The Hetzner auction is hard to beat. Netcup RS might come close or edge it out, but not by enough to outweigh what I see as the advantage of single tenant hardware.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • neikneik Member

@willie said:
    For heavy cpu I gave up on VPS a long time ago and just use dedis. The Hetzner auction is hard to beat. Netcup RS might come close or edge it out, but not by enough to outweigh what I see as the advantage of single tenant hardware.

That's true and if my budget would be that high there is no doubt I would go with such a Hetzner server but unfortunately my budget is way less than that.