Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner equivalent in the USA - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner equivalent in the USA

2»

Comments

• @smallet said:

letrocks said: From home, I get max ~750KBps when I doing an iperf for 5 minutes. I tried their all 3 location.

Maybe try enabling Google BBR TCP algo on those Hetzner cloud servers. It has given me huge TCP download/upload speed gains (esp. when dealing with more than 50ms latency). Enabling it is very simple. What's the speed limit for your internet connection? Should get you to at least 80% of the speed limit, unless your ISP is artificially limiting cross continent speeds somehow...

Note: This will improve the upload speed of the host, so iperf (server --> client) will improve and (client --> server) will remain the same. Unless you enable BBR on your local PC too.

letrocks said: Also do you guys host services on Hetzner even when you live in the different continent?

Yes, currently using many instances on Hetzner DE. Around 130-150ms latency. Easily maxing out my 45Mbps connection. None of my use cases strictly require low latency, just fast TCP speeds. So they haven't been that big a handicap for me.

Thanks for the information. I enabled BBR on a Debian 9 server and also on Ubuntu 18.04 with kernel 4.9 or higher.
    I also tried a non standard port for the iperf e.g 80 and 443.
    However results are same. Speed from my ISP is absolutely garbage.

As I indicated before, the speed from the other VPSs in LA, phoenix, Dallas, Buffalo, etc.. gets at least of 10MBps = 60mbps connectivity. In many cases it also crossed over 20MBps.

So not sure what to make of it. Should I use Hetzner or not to host a public site? Will it be responsive for the US audience?

• @letrocks said:

@Mridul said:
    Have you tried LunaNode ?

https://www.lunanode.com/pricing

No I have not, but their pricing seems way higher than Hetzner.
    e.g Hetzner 2GB RAM instance start at 2.5 euro Vs $14 for the similar machine.
    So not sure how can you even say it is comparable.

LunaNode's m.2 plan is 2GB for $7/mo; I think it's still good value. They are a solid provider, and if you need any help, @perennate will get you sorted out. There really aren't any hourly providers in NA that can compete with Hetzner on price. If you want cheaper, you may need to forgo the flexibility of going hourly.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • @seanho said:
    LunaNode's m.2 plan is 2GB for $7/mo; I think it's still good value. They are a solid provider, and if you need any help, @perennate will get you sorted out. There really aren't any hourly providers in NA that can compete with Hetzner on price. If you want cheaper, you may need to forgo the flexibility of going hourly.

I am ok with monthly pricing as long as I get to play around for couple of hours to test the network from home/work to the server. I don't want to pay a month's fee just to test that hence hourly requirement. I can test it and still pay the provider, seems fair.

• @letrocks said:

@seanho said:

I am ok with monthly pricing as long as I get to play around for couple of hours to test the network from home/work to the server. I don't want to pay a month's fee just to test that hence hourly requirement. I can test it and still pay the provider, seems fair.

I'd recommend you drop them a pre-sales ticket describing what you want to do; I'm sure they can work out a trial period or something for you.

Same for Ramnode, BuyVM, etc. -- these are not huge faceless corporations, they are quite willing to work out something custom for you.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

letrocks said: I am ok with monthly pricing as long as I get to play around for couple of hours to test the network from home/work to the server. I don't want to pay a month's fee just to test that hence hourly requirement. I can test it and still pay the provider, seems fair.

For LunaNode, our service is prepaid so you do need to add at least $10 funds to begin using the service, but we have a flexible refund policy (https://www.lunanode.com/terms section 9), so if you use $0.10 then you can open a ticket and we'll refund the remaining credit ($9.90).

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

letrocks said: Should I use Hetzner or not to host a public site? Will it be responsive for the US audience?

I haven't tried BBR yet but I've found in general, Hetzner network speed to EU is great, but to US, far slower. I wouldn't try to serve a high traffic site across the ocean either way, without a CDN. Latency is a killer all by itself.

Hetzner works fine for me as a US user because I'm mostly there for the cheap hardware, and can accept compromises about network speed. I do run a low traffic site from there sometimes, but only because I can live with the limitations.

I must say if you're running any kind of srs bzns on these servers and saving $5/month makes any difference to you, maybe your revenue model needs rethinking. Most (not all!) of us here are basically running hobby services from personal funds, so nickels and dimes matter. Dealing with the headache of a commercial operation is only worthwhile if it's producing more revenue than we'd get by showing up at a job and collecting a paycheck, and at that point, hosting costs on the level we're discussing here are lost in the noise. Just find the best hosting you can (it will cost more than anything like Hetzner) and pay the money.

Thanked by 1letrocks
  • Speed between east coast to hetzner seems OK. I can reach my bandwidth limit (120mbps) within a few seconds. You can actually observe the TCP window size increment during the initial few seconds. The speed may not be stable though, as you can see zigzags on the traffic chart where TCP window size goes up and down.

• I wonder if it varies between Hetzner servers somehow. I'll try some east coast tests. But, I think I've noticed the slowdown even transferring between Hetzner and OVH BHS, despite Hetzner having direct connection to OVH network in EU, and OVH probably using its own network to reach BHS. I can transfer from OVH Roubaix to BHS much faster than Hetzner to BHS.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

@willie said: I can transfer from OVH Roubaix to BHS much faster than Hetzner to BHS.

Wouldn't say it's a huge difference, personally.

Hetzner -> BHS: (28.3 MB/s)
    GRA -> BHS: (28.6 MB/s)
    RBX -> BHS: (32.5 MB/s)

Single-thread wget's to a server w/ 500Mbps networking at BHS.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

I wish Hetzner had a branch in the US. They will sell and make a lot of $$.

• @yongsiklee said:

+1 this. My lord..

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • Harambe said: Hetzner -> BHS: (28.3 MB/s)

I wonder if my server config is messed up, or there's some issue with its DC or something. I get around 3MB/sec. My BHS endpoint is a kimsufi though, so it has a 100 mbit port cap.

• needavpsneedavps Member
    edited August 2018

@yongsiklee said:

+2. Too many dodgy providers in the US even if they supposely existed before 2000 but are really resellers.

• Well, one of the reasons Hetzner can sustain their great pricing is because of their own datacenters. They've also stated they are intentionally growing slowly and not taking on significant angel investment. So I think a DC in the US is probably not likely anytime soon.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • Get one of the deals from ImpactVPS. Search LET for their last offers, which usually still work. I've had really fast support responses, great speeds, and great coupon pricing.

• @TimboJones said:
    Get one of the deals from ImpactVPS. Search LET for their last offers, which usually still work. I've had really fast support responses, great speeds, and great coupon pricing.

nah. there's no net neutrality. safer to just use canada unless you need geographic ips.

• @needavps said:

@TimboJones said:
    Get one of the deals from ImpactVPS. Search LET for their last offers, which usually still work. I've had really fast support responses, great speeds, and great coupon pricing.

nah. there's no net neutrality. safer to just use canada unless you need geographic ips.

Safe? Wtf are you getting on about? Maybe take a look at the topic and see if your reply makes any sense.

• Hetzner's closest competitor is probably OVH, which is in Canada and the US as well as in the EU. They are much more expensive in the US than in Canada for some reason.

ImpactVPS is a good VPS host but they're not really comparable to Hetzner or OVH, which are primarily dedicated server providers with huge stocks. There are some budget dedi hosts in the US like WSI, but they are usually out of stock of anything interesting.

I don't think DC space costs explains the gap between Hetzner and US providers. Otherwise we'd see similar products here, with a premium added for the DC cost differential, but otherwise not too far off for the raw hardware. But that doesn't happen. The hardware in the more interesting Hetzner servers (say the current SX line) costs as much as 1-2 years of monthly hosting fees. US providers have to recover the hw cost much faster, like 3-6 months, so they charge a lot more.

Example: a 10TB DC HDD add-on for a Hetzner server is 19.5 euro/m. I don't know of any US provider that comes within 2x of that, or even 3x. It's not about DC space or watts, but financing. You can buy that drive at newegg for around 400 USD so Hetzner is taking around 18 months to pay it off. Hosts here are either too thinly stretched, or they're after a high-dollar enterprise market, so they charge a lot more either way.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

I feel a bit guilty for lurking in this thread, but I'm not really authorized to give you all any more information about most of the topics that you've been discussing here. It's nice to know that we'd be well received in the US, though. --Katie, Marketing

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    I feel a bit guilty for lurking in this thread, but I'm not really authorized to give you all any more information about most of the topics that you've been discussing here. It's nice to know that we'd be well received in the US, though. --Katie, Marketing

If you bring auction dedis and cloud to NA, you'd sweep the market here!

• letrocksletrocks Member
    edited August 2018

@Hetzner_OL said:

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2018

@yongsiklee said:

Pet theory: I suspect this is why Netcup now majorly advertises the 'stay in germany' angle.
    Maybe the word's out on the street that Hetzner is poking around NA or something. (or maybe it's just the Helsinki expansion)

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

vimalware said: Maybe the word's out on the street that Hetzner is poking around NA or something. (or maybe it's just the Helsinki expansion)

I'm not sure where the rumors came from, but as far as I can tell, they increased after Helsinki. Speaking of which, you may have seen our tweet back in July that we've already started on additional DC units there:

And yes, we're hiring at our Finland location. Right now, we're looking for electricians finance admins, but you can also do an application "With own profile" if you think we should consider you for other work or you just want to get your foot in the door. (updated link: https://career.hetzner.com/english) --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 3vimalware beagle saibal
  • Would those roofs have solar panels?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2018

letrocks said: No I have not, but their pricing seems way higher than Hetzner. e.g Hetzner 2GB RAM instance start at 2.5 euro Vs $14 for the similar machine. So not sure how can you even say it is comparable.

While network is a bit smaller, you will get much higher quality support and communications from Lunanode which makes it worth the extra cost in the long run, seriously! For being on LET they are one of the few that take it very seriously and provide a high level of service that most wouldn't in this sector. While they provide some low end services what they really strive at is providing commercial level support that you would expect from a big brand at a very reasonable price point.

As per Hetzner and international speeds, I can tell you that the DC you are in does make a difference, however, I don't have a magic map to show you which is the best one to choose. Really I think it has to do with capacity and how busy the network is in any given location. On top of that, to keep costs low for us consumers, when you use their included 'standard' network you are going to get 'bulk' rate bandwidth to international locations. If you really need something better and need the better speed internationally, I believe they offer a add-on package that can help with this (don't quote me its been a while since I looked) for business customers, if this is a need for you it may be worth ticketing and asking. It is one of those situations where you get what you pay for (and a good deal at that)! For example, you can also see differences between server bidding servers and their normal line-up, I am pretty sure they give higher priority to the full cost servers over server bidding servers on their switches. When I say 'bulk' rate traffic I would suggest that when you see speeds like "750kb/sec" that you are likely moving data over Cogent or another oversold path they use to get to your location and congestion at that time of the day is slowing things down. You could probably find a VPS in New York/Ashburn on east coast with higher end routing like Level 3 and use it as a proxy and sustain higher rates -- a lot of home ISPs tend to prefer Cogent traffic by default because it is cheaper, finding something you have good routes to that doesn't use one of these bulk rate routes to Hetzner could result in speeding up you usage considerably as well.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!