Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fail2ban may provide a false sense of security
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fail2ban may provide a false sense of security

Just throwing this out there for discussion...

The old stalwart fail2ban may not be providing the security you think it is.

Specifically, a "low and slow" attack from a botnet will go unnoticed.

Fail2ban will detect and block multiple attempts from the same IP, but not repeated attempts from different IPs.

You may want to try:

grep -c Found /var/log/fail2ban.log

and

grep -c Ban /var/log/fail2ban.log

and ponder the numbers.

Comments

• We use fail2ban to save a few disk space for the auth log, not for making it secure. Key pairs or certificates are the way to security.

Thanked by 2Aidan willie
  • @msg7086 said:
    We use fail2ban to save a few disk space for the auth log, not for making it secure. Key pairs or certificates are the way to security.

For SSH yes, but fail2ban has much wider applicability -- e.g. for public services such as imap, smtp that aren't secured the same as SSH.

Thanked by 1msg7086
  • You can always tweak the config to tighten the time limits before banning.

Decent password strength makes a world of difference. Usually the time to crack with a "low and slow" is incredibly futile.

• Certainly interesting. Thanks.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Fail2ban should be used as a tool used for reducing clutter in logs caused by automated scanning, not as a defense mechanism in the first place.

sleddog said: For SSH yes, but fail2ban has much wider applicability -- e.g. for public services such as imap, smtp that aren't secured the same as SSH.

The applications themselves often have rate limiting, use it if possible. To go with your mail server example, both Dovecot and Postfix have that.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @FHR said:
    Fail2ban should be used as a tool used for reducing clutter in logs caused by automated scanning, not as a defense mechanism in the first place.

How would you protect an imap or smtp server from a botnet low and slow authentication attack?

• Mark_O_Polo said: You can always tweak the config to tighten the time limits before banning.

indeed lowering the threshold works too in conjunction with rate limiting and using native jail fail2ban-client status info can reveal same stats as the greps

my custom fail2ban status output statistics

you can also parse your fail2ban logs to get some stats as to patterns for banned and repeated ban (restored bans) IP addresses too i.e.

---------------------------------------
    All Time: Top 10 Banned IP Addresses:
          4 149.xxx.xxx.xxx [nginx-req-limit]
          3 104.237.xxx.xxx [wordpress-pingback]
          2 149.xxx.xxx.xxx [wordpress-auth]
          2 149.xxx.xxx.xxx [http-xensec]
    All Time: Top 10 Restored Banned IP Addresses:
         25 104.237.xxx.xxx [wordpress-pingback]
          2 149.xxx.xxx.xxx [nginx-req-limit]
    Yesterday: Top 10 Banned IP Addresses:
          4 149.xxx.xxx.xxx [nginx-req-limit]
          2 149.xxx.xxx.xxx [wordpress-auth]
          2 149.xxx.xxx.xxx [http-xensec]
          2 104.237.xxx.xxx [wordpress-pingback]
    Yesterday: Top 10 Restored Banned IP Addresses:
         12 104.237.xxx.xxx [wordpress-pingback]
          2 149.xxx.xxx.xxx [nginx-req-limit]
    Today: Top 10 Banned IP Addresses:
    Today: Top 10 Restored Banned IP Addresses:
          8 104.237.xxx.xxx [wordpress-pingback]
    1 hr ago: Top 10 Banned IP Addresses:
    1 hr ago: Top 10 Restored Banned IP Addresses:

Thanked by 1Mark_O_Polo
  • @FHR said:

Why would you not use it as an early defense mechanism in a layered strategy?

It has it's place beyond just log clutter.

• @FHR said:

sleddog said: For SSH yes, but fail2ban has much wider applicability -- e.g. for public services such as imap, smtp that aren't secured the same as SSH.

The applications themselves often have rate limiting, use it if possible. To go with your mail server example, both Dovecot and Postfix have that.

Rate-limiting for postfix and dovecot are usually scaled in connections/second, or per minute, and track connecting IPs, and do nothing for a low and slow attack.

edited August 2018

@sleddog said:

@FHR said:

How would you protect an imap or smtp server from a botnet low and slow authentication attack?

Bots brute forcing mail servers usually don't go slow nor change IPs that often. What you can do with e.g. Dovecot is to insert delay after each unsuccessful attempt.

That means that if someone tries to log in with a wrong password, Dovecot will artificially insert a delay before the "auth failed" response - that way the bot will have to wait for let's say 5 seconds before trying again. I would call that enough.

Brute forcing at a rate 1 attempt per 5 seconds becomes "slightly" ineffective very quickly.

• FHR said: That means that if someone tries to log in with a wrong password, Dovecot will artificially insert a delay before the "auth failed" response - that way the bot will have to wait for let's say 5 seconds before trying again. I would call that enough.

But again, these are tracked by IP, and aren't applied in a situation where different IPs attempt a login to the same mail account.

sleddog said: But again, these are tracked by IP, and aren't applied in a situation where different IPs attempt a login to the same mail account.

That's certainly true - and as far as I know, there is no solution to this issue. I would say set minimum password complexity policies and let the bots do their thing.

• @sleddog said:
    But again, these are tracked by IP, and aren't applied in a situation where different IPs attempt a login to the same mail account.

Block with iptable by range /24 or whatever you need.

• @FHR said:

@sleddog said:

@FHR said:

Bots brute forcing mail servers usually don't go slow nor change IPs that often. What you can do with e.g. Dovecot is to insert delay after each unsuccessful attempt.

That means that if someone tries to log in with a wrong password, Dovecot will artificially insert a delay before the "auth failed" response - that way the bot will have to wait for let's say 5 seconds before trying again. I would call that enough.

Brute forcing at a rate 1 attempt per 5 seconds becomes "slightly" ineffective very quickly.

Yes. That would do for most setups. In my case I manage couple mail servers for my clients. The thing that bothers and made me setup defense is how many in house attacks happen. how meticulous the attackers are in my case the assistant of the CFO tried for whole year are more brute forcing the CFO's email getting banned every single day. She gained access in the last. Unfortunate for them I joined them just last year. Checking the logs show me that there were same ratio of attacks from internet and intranet.

I'm surprised that this had happen this firm don't have anything to steal data wise. There is no industrial espionage even after there is one bad actor who had the patience for this kind of attack. She worked there 15+ years so yes these kind of protection is required in some cases.

• FHR said: That's certainly true - and as far as I know, there is no solution to this issue. I would say set minimum password complexity policies and let the bots do their thing.

I experienced a distributed attack on smtps recently, which fail2ban did not detect and which I noticed only by looking at log files. I changed the fail2ban smtps config to ban after 1 failure, and collected 500 IPs in an hour. Let it run for a few hours, then dumped them all into an ipset.

• sleddog said: But again, these are tracked by IP, and aren't applied in a situation where different IPs attempt a login to the same mail account.

You probably need to lower the threshold for fail2ban and for postfix at least see smtpd_client_auth_rate_limit http://www.postfix.org/smtpd.8.html

smtpd_client_auth_rate_limit (0)
              The maximal number of AUTH commands that any client  is  allowed
              to  send to this service per time unit, regardless of whether or
              not Postfix actually accepts those commands.

Dovecot has it's own mechanisms I believe with auth_failure_delay i.e. https://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/Penalty

If the server only has you as one user, you could set fail2ban threshold to ban after 1 failure like you did. As if you ever enter the wrong details, you could unblock yourself via out of band console access anyway heh.

Thanked by 1sleddog

sleddog said: changed the fail2ban smtps config to ban after 1 failure

Depending on the environment, you might ban legitimate people with this

• FHR said: Depending on the environment, you might ban legitimate people with this

Actually might serve as a good tool to weed out repeat offenders - sitting them down and explaining the virtues of using a password manager hehe

• FHR said: Depending on the environment, you might ban legitimate people with this

Maybe but doubtful. There's a whitelist for local ISPs. But if one of my users is vacationing in Brazil it's possible :)

• The "recidive" (Iirc they spell it like that) rule implements longer bans and it was added a few versions ago. The version of fail2ban in the debian 9 (but not earlier) repo has it.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Yea, I would call fail2ban a security tool, not to secure something. Used properly it's a great tool!

• @willie said:
    The "recidive" (Iirc they spell it like that) rule implements longer bans and it was added a few versions ago. The version of fail2ban in the debian 9 (but not earlier) repo has it.

Yep the same thing I shared earlier with official tag on it.

But the fail2ban team just named it bad. So bad I still share a link than this name.

• h2oh2o Member
    edited August 2018

i used a 6-digit password and it havn't been bursted so far.

my auth.log has 20+MB big.

the more dangerous, the safer it is.

LOL

Thanked by 1klikli
  • wgetwget Member

@h2o said:

LOL

But have your installed fail2ban or any similar tool?

If nothing similar is installed, it does sound quite dangerous. :)

• h2oh2o Member

@wget said:

@h2o said:

LOL

But have your installed fail2ban or any similar tool?

If nothing similar is installed, it does sound quite dangerous. :)

Nope, believe or not, my vps is naked for a few months.

Fail2ban will cause a cpu high load due to a large auth.log when startup.

However, weakly password is not recommended.

Still waiting to be bursted... LOL

• strict pubkey auth + multi-day ban times + a couple of whitelisted IPs.

I think I'll stick with this for a while.

• What I've done is create a ipset whitelist of Canada/US, that should cover all networks from which my users are authenticating to postfix & dovecot, and then...

• Gathered all IPs ("Found") from the fail2ban log, sorted and removed dups.

• Iterated through the IP list, removing any found in the ipset whitelist.

• Added the remainder to a permanent ipset blacklist.

There's an hourly cron script that looks for new fail2ban log entries, tests then against the whitelist and adds then to the blacklist as required.

You might be interested to know that of the 1,200+ collected IPs, 94% were not found in the whitelist :)

Thanked by 1eva2000
  • @eva2000 said:
    you can also parse your fail2ban logs to get some stats as to patterns for banned and repeated ban (restored bans) IP addresses too i.e.

Yup. Thanks to that I got a nice blacklist where at least a lot of those china dudes are in.

Thanked by 1eva2000