Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BudgetNode KVM VPS saved the day
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BudgetNode KVM VPS saved the day

gattyttogattytto Member
edited August 2018 in Reviews

I needed to put down 2x online.net dedis because my country currency is summer-hosting at the moment, hitting nullroute very soon so 19€/m for 2 dedis was not an option. the only "important" thing on there was a bind9 server so I didn't need much rig.

I hit Discord #offers and @Ishaq set me up with KVM on his solusvm miami node.

Downside is solusvm templates are old: they use very basic partition schemes with no encryption, but Fortunately @Ishaq agreed to reset some limit on the server (many times), that only allows changing the custom iso every 6 hours, so I tried couple isos until I found ubuntu 18.04 amd64 minimal iso that comes with lvm+crypto settings at install-time.

BudgetNode Clients panel is very basic just VNC and shutdown/reboot/start buttons, then there's another panel with custom iso/disk mode(had to set that to IDE for my use case), network drive,etc.

So far besides having to change the disk driver (from virtio to IDE) and using a custom ISO, all works as expected, I found no problems setting up my networking stuff and there seems to be no protocol blocks/speed caps on my kvm's network. I am using some GRE too and it worked out of the box.

now running some webmin+let'sencrypt+shorewall+fail2ban successfully in a very fine-working dns personal server.

vpsbench

CPU model: QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6) Number of cores: 2 CPU frequency: 2400.084 MHz Total amount of RAM: 985 MB Total amount of swap: MB System uptime: 1 day, 9:25, I/O speed: 58.9 MB/s Bzip 25MB: 9.00s Download 100MB file: 57.7MB/s

Thanked by 2Ishaq FHR

Comments

• asvasv Member

Congrats. Just don't expose this beauty to public (except of p22/53).

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited August 2018

Doesn't look like the performance or features are very good. Anything could have saved the day.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@JoeMerit said:
    Doesn't look like the performance or features are very good. Anything could have saved the day.

Thought the same, but then I read this:

So far besides having to change the disk driver (from virtio to IDE)

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Does lvm+crypto require ide (as opposed to virtio)? Otherwise Ubuntu 18.04 should work with virtio. Just wondering ...

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2018

@JoeMerit said:

-

gattytto said: encryption

Full disk encryption is going to substantially shave off your performance

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@JoeMerit said:

It sounds like @Ishaq was personally helpful.

Anyway, if you're out in the water drowning and someone rescues you, you can still be grateful to that person even if someone else might have rescued you if the first person hadn't.

Thanked by 2FHR vimalware
  • @angstrom said:
    Does lvm+crypto require ide (as opposed to virtio)? Otherwise Ubuntu 18.04 should work with virtio. Just wondering ...

I didn't take the time to troubleshoot booting virtio with crypted lvm root. IDE mode did the trick

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Sound the provider too picky , he was so long doesn't show great offer on public.

• @d2itsme said](/discussion/comment/2856677/#Comment_2856677): Sound the provider too picky , he was so long doesn't show great offer on public.

What?

• :D just joke sir ....

• lionlion Member
    edited August 2018

@angstrom said:

It is useless to use encryption in a KVM anyways

• @lion said:

@angstrom said:

It is useless to use encryption in a KVM anyways

Given the keys will likely be stored in memory and thus easily retrievable from the host, maybe. It does add one further layer of defence, however, should the disk be removed.

• @JoeMerit said:

^ This @gattytto. Anything could have saved the day.

• Go4MartGo4Mart Member
    edited March 2020

Removed.

• @Go4Mart said:
    I try budgetnode but they do not answer tickets for days, try to avoid them, even basic support can't be done.

So you spam a 2 year old thread? Come on dude/Dudette!

This discussion has been closed.