Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner equivalent in the USA
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner equivalent in the USA

letrocksletrocks Member
edited August 2018 in General
  • I was browsing through the Hetzer plan and I also signed up for it to try out the server. They are excellent for the price and network performance. However there is a very high latency and overall bandwidth from the USA.
    From home, I get max ~750KBps when I doing an iperf for 5 minutes. I tried their all 3 location.
    However when I try from different VPSs, I get better speed ranging from 1MBps to 15MBps.

So is there an equivalent service provider, not just in term of cost, but overall features as well?

• I know DO, Linode, RamNode, Vultr, etc.. SSDNodes is the only one that comes close in pricing but doesn't have the feature set. Also the pricing is for the 3 years pre-pay only.

Any suggestions?

Also do you guys host services on Hetzner even when you live in the different continent?

Is latency and lower overall connectivity worth the hosing in the EU?

I am looking for a VPS plan. $5-$10 range.

Comments

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

You looking for dedicated or cloud (VPS) plans?

The latency/connectivity mostly depends on what you're hosting.

• I'd say Nocix and WholesaleInternet in terms of price to "perceived" value. Most provides are enterprise type scale or cost significantly more.

Thanked by 1letrocks
  • letrocksletrocks Member
    edited August 2018

@Harambe said:
    You looking for dedicated or cloud (VPS) plans?

The latency/connectivity mostly depends on what you're hosting.

I am mostly looking for VPS plan for hosting blog, personal git repo, next cloud etc...

• @daxterfellowes said:
    I'd say Nocix and WholesaleInternet in terms of price to "perceived" value. Most provides are enterprise type scale or cost significantly more.

Aha.. never heard of them before.. Good information.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I'd say DO is probably your closest option in terms of features and pricing. Although not really sure which specific features you need

• Het> @Harambe said:

I'd say DO is probably your closest option in terms of features and pricing. Although not really sure which specific features you need

Hetzner offers 4GB machine for under $6. DO is no where near. It cost $20 for that. Other feature like monitoring and snapshots are comparable but not pricing.

• @letrocks said:
    Het> @Harambe said:

Hetzner offers 4GB machine for under $6. DO is no where near. It cost $20 for that. Other feature like monitoring and snapshots are comparable but not pricing.

You're going to find for larger companies - DO, Vultr, AWS (more expensive) and other enterprise cloud providers are going to be much more expensive than their EU counterpart across the board.

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

The closest 4GB would be OVH in eastern Canada:

https://www.ovh.com/world/vps/vps-ssd.xml

Price is hard to beat but there aren't as many features.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @willie said:
    The closest 4GB would be OVH in eastern Canada:

https://www.ovh.com/world/vps/vps-ssd.xml

Price is hard to beat but there aren't as many features.

Good to know. Looks promising.

However the problem with OVH is there is no hourly pricing. So if I want to take it for a spin to test it for couple of hours, I still end up paying for the entire month.. Worth a shot.. I will keep it on my shortlist.

• They are more expensive by the hour, but scroll down to "sandbox instances":

https://www.ovh.com/world/public-cloud/instances/prices/

Thanked by 1letrocks
  • @willie said:
    They are more expensive by the hour, but scroll down to "sandbox instances":

https://www.ovh.com/world/public-cloud/instances/prices/

Aha.. at least I can use it for couple of hours for testing before deciding.

• You're going to find for larger companies - DO, Vultr, AWS (more expensive) and other enterprise cloud providers are going to be much more expensive than their EU counterpart across the board.

Is there a specific reason for that? I noticed that other EU providers (scaleway, etcc) are reasonably cheaper over USA providers..

• DO, Vultr, AWS are more enterprisey than OVH/Hetzner. Scaleway is not in the same league. The US has a well developed budget server segment that is mostly monthly rather than hourly. Hetzner hourly servers are just a few months old and priced very aggressively. Also I have to wonder how many people really care about high-ram VPS. Can I ask what you want a 4gb one for? I've found a 1gb Buyvm slice adequate for most of my random VPS stuff. If you want to do something long term and computation heavy, dedicated servers are better than any VPS.

• @willie said:
    DO, Vultr, AWS are more enterprisey than OVH/Hetzner. Scaleway is not in the same league. The US has a well developed budget server segment that is mostly monthly rather than hourly. Hetzner hourly servers are just a few months old and priced very aggressively. Also I have to wonder how many people really care about high-ram VPS. Can I ask what you want a 4gb one for? I've found a 1gb Buyvm slice adequate for most of my random VPS stuff. If you want to do something long term and computation heavy, dedicated servers are better than any VPS.

I wouldn't agree that hetzner is not as enterprise-ish as DO and vultr. What make you think hetzner is less valuable? Is it that the old offer European locations? Or maybe that they own and run their own datacenter in Germany? I do not know about DO and or vultr having their own datacenter. Their service including support and network is great.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Not sure if we can match hetzner yet but we've been planning to hit that budget specific market in USA for a long time and have acquired good funding to actually make it possible.

Next week we'll be able to offer these.

E3-1270 - 16GB - 512GB SSD - 10TB@1Gbps / 100mbit unmetered - 18 IPv4 - /64 IPv6 for $55

Thanked by 1pxhaxor
  • @BharatB said:
    Not sure if we can match hetzner yet but we've been planning to hit that budget specific market in USA for a long time and have acquired good funding to actually make it possible.

Next week we'll be able to offer these.

E3-1270 - 16GB - 512GB SSD - 10TB@1Gbps / 100mbit unmetered - 18 IPv4 - /64 IPv6 for $55

Wondering if we can make slight changes based on this setup (too many ipv4 for me). I would be interested

Wondering if we can make slight changes based on this setup (too many ipv4 for me). I would be interested

Won't make much of a difference :)

• @BharatB said:

It's gonna be in NY i presume?

@pxhaxor said:

@BharatB said:

It's gonna be in NY i presume?

NY colocrossing, with IPv6

Thanked by 1pxhaxor
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2018

letrocks said: Is there a specific reason for that? I noticed that other EU providers (scaleway, etcc) are reasonably cheaper over USA providers..

Bandwidth is cheaper in EU hands down because there are more exchanges (IX) and they have more infrastructure in place to allow for that cheaper bandwidth, which the US does not. This is because of all of our greedy telecommunications companies/monopolies/regulations that won't allow small business to run their own fiber without it being extraordinarily expensive (basically it is very cost prohibitive compared to the EU).

Cheers!

Thanked by 1willie
  • TheLinuxBug said: Bandwidth is cheaper in EU hands down

Very true, but that doesn't explain why renting raw hardware is so much cheaper in EU. Power isn't cheaper afaict, and pure DC space can be cheap either way if you're not fussy about location. Maybe financing works differently there or something?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2018

@willie said:

TheLinuxBug said: Bandwidth is cheaper in EU hands down

Very true, but that doesn't explain why renting raw hardware is so much cheaper in EU. Power isn't cheaper afaict, and pure DC space can be cheap either way if you're not fussy about location. Maybe financing works differently there or something?

Well, regardless of location a good bank to work with will make anything possible, even Hetzner prices in the U.S. Just nobody has done it probably because of the risk of losses.

Edit: was kinda referring to dedicated servers that Hetzner offers, VPS is different story. Bandwidth and IPs.

• you can look at hostbrz with the lowendbox special for specs:
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/hostbrz-vps-shared-reseller-hosting-from-2-year/

they don't allow full 100% cpu usage (no mining, distributed computing, etc), but otherwise the vps are solid so far.

• @HowLowCanYouGo said:
    you can look at hostbrz with the lowendbox special for specs:
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/hostbrz-vps-shared-reseller-hosting-from-2-year/

they don't allow full 100% cpu usage (no mining, distributed computing, etc), but otherwise the vps are solid so far.

I believe Hetzner is KVM which is what I am looking for. The attached link offerings are OpenVZ.

• Maybe Hetzner gets special pricing on power too?

@willie said:

TheLinuxBug said: Bandwidth is cheaper in EU hands down

• letrocks said: So is there an equivalent service provider, not just in term of cost, but overall features as well?

Question is what specific features you're looking for ?

• I am looking for the Price (no coupon needed), also hourly pricing so I can try it for few hours and then decide, combination of features such as large templates, ease of deployment,

Other good to have features,
    snapshoting and additional block storage.

• @letrocks said:

• I was browsing through the Hetzer plan and I also signed up for it to try out the server. They are excellent for the price and network performance. However there is a very high latency and overall bandwidth from the USA.
      From home, I get max ~750KBps when I doing an iperf for 5 minutes. I tried their all 3 location.
      However when I try from different VPSs, I get better speed ranging from 1MBps to 15MBps.

So is there an equivalent service provider, not just in term of cost, but overall features as well?

• I know DO, Linode, RamNode, Vultr, etc.. SSDNodes is the only one that comes close in pricing but doesn't have the feature set. Also the pricing is for the 3 years pre-pay only.

Any suggestions?

Also do you guys host services on Hetzner even when you live in the different continent?

Is latency and lower overall connectivity worth the hosing in the EU?

I am looking for a VPS plan. $5-$10 range.

Have you tried LunaNode ?

https://www.lunanode.com/pricing

• smalletsmallet Member
    edited August 2018

letrocks said: From home, I get max ~750KBps when I doing an iperf for 5 minutes. I tried their all 3 location.

Maybe try enabling Google BBR TCP algo on those Hetzner cloud servers. It has given me huge TCP download/upload speed gains (esp. when dealing with more than 50ms latency). Enabling it is very simple. What's the speed limit for your internet connection? Should get you to at least 80% of the speed limit, unless your ISP is artificially limiting cross continent speeds somehow...

Note: This will improve the upload speed of the host, so iperf (server --> client) will improve and (client --> server) will remain the same. Unless you enable BBR on your local PC too.

letrocks said: Also do you guys host services on Hetzner even when you live in the different continent?

Yes, currently using many instances on Hetzner DE. Around 130-150ms latency. Easily maxing out my 45Mbps connection. None of my use cases strictly require low latency, just fast TCP speeds. So they haven't been that big a handicap for me.

Thanked by 1letrocks
  • @Mridul said:
    Have you tried LunaNode ?

https://www.lunanode.com/pricing

No I have not, but their pricing seems way higher than Hetzner.
    e.g Hetzner 2GB RAM instance start at 2.5 euro Vs $14 for the similar machine.
    So not sure how can you even say it is comparable.