Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you keep track of your LEB's/domains/licenses/etc.? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How do you keep track of your LEB's/domains/licenses/etc.?

2»

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

I pay stuff after I recieve mail with invoice or expiration warning. I never missed any payment so far. Payment in my case have nothing to do with tracking.

Info about every host, domain registrar, licence.. is in individual txt document in little TrueCrypt container. Why individual document for everything? Because it include also other stuff (welcome mail, URL with offer, old/new IPs, specific IPv6 copy/paste setup in case I reinstall vps, and all other notes I want to keep). In case I cancel hosting I move this host specific txt document into "old" folder inside this TrueCrypt container and keep it that way as archive.
    It may seems like a mess but it work for me very very long time.

Lately I started to use StatusCake and UptimerRobot for all of my VPSs. Not that much to be notified about downtime than to have better overview about all my stuff in order. It can be shocking to see so many boxes listed... especially after UptimerRobot kindly increased number of monitors on request so I am not limited with 50 monitoring entries anymore.

• twaintwain Member
    edited March 2013

Some of those tiddlywiki things (or variants), will actually work without a webserver, eg in a dropbox folder yes?

• markmark Member

I keep all mine in a fairly basic HTML page. Probably not very secure, but .htaccess protected, SSL and only password hints in it. I detail server IP, SSH port number, VNC details for KVMs, hyperlinks to provider's page and VPS control panel, add the cost, currency, billing frequency, OS currently installed (I'm not very good at keeping that up-to-date). Update the raw HTML whenever I terminate or get a new VPS. I had an hour to kill recently and made it look quite pretty. Next step is to make it into PHP with further verification with a password in PHP and cookies.

Nothing mission critical on any of my VPS, all for hobby purposes so if hacked, not the end of the world (and there're no passwords in it anyway).

• emgemg Veteran
    edited March 2013

Passwords:
    1Password for quick entry in browser connections to domain registrar, control panels, etc. 1Password also generates strong passwords.

SSH Connections to VPSs:
    Public key. Local .profile aliases to connect to the respective VPSs in one command. SSH password login disabled. Root login disabled.

Domain Renewals:
    Calendar with annual popup reminders, as well as the usual email invoices.

Serious domains (such as our precious lastname.com domain):
    Entry in my wife's paper calendar, too.

Note on Domain Renewals:
    Some registrars allow you to move the renewal date for your domains. I plan to synchronize the renewal dates on all my domains the next time the renewals come around.

Note on Password Backup:
    I keep a copy of all passwords in an Excel spreadsheet. Yes, I keep it sync'd with the 1Password copy. Yes, they are all strong and unique. If I change a password or generate a new password in 1Password, I paste it into the spreadsheet. No exceptions. No cloud storage of passwords, either. The spreadsheet is password protected and stored on an encrypted partition.

Note on Backups in General:
    I rotate backups offsite on encrypted hard drives, including the important information above. The appropriate people know where to find instructions on how to recover everything if something happens to me (or my family).

• @pubcrawler said: dollar style discount chain.

Dollar store? Bitch, wait until school year starts, stock up on $0.1 notebooks

• For passwords, KeePass is a convenient free (and open source) option. There is also a portable version, so you can carry it around on a USB key if you so desire. It has a nice clean interface and also has all the typical features (including a secure password generator where you can specify exactly what character set to use). I believe you can also add on free modules for additional features.

• tommytommy Member

use keepassx and sync to dropbox, google drive, skydrive, my owncloud :D

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

@tommy said: ...and sync to dropbox, google drive, skydrive, my owncloud

Anywhere else? :P

• tommytommy Member

@Spirit said: Anywhere else? :P

yups :) few of my server too lazy to list haha

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@twain said: Some of those tiddlywiki things (or variants), will actually work without a webserver, eg in a dropbox folder yes?

Tiddlywiki should do just fine in DropBox, as will any of the HTML + JS wikis. Not sure how much I trust their security though, I'd rather have something on a VPS I can control access to - like one of Secure Dragon's lovely $8/year 32MB plans.

• @user123 said:
    For passwords, KeePass is a convenient free (and open source) option. There is also a portable version, so you can carry it around on a USB key if you so desire. It has a nice clean interface and also has all the typical features (including a secure password generator where you can specify exactly what character set to use). I believe you can also add on free modules for additional features.

This thread was referenced in another post. I can't believe it took to page two for someone to suggest KeePass and encrypt all of their logins. You guys might have your stuff all nice and organized, but if someone ever got their hands on your stuff, you would all be toast those of you using excel and notepad.

The only other thing in addition to keepass is you should be using certificates with ssh the second you get your hands on a LEB.

• @emg said:
    Note on Domain Renewals:
    Some registrars allow you to move the renewal date for your domains. I plan to synchronize the renewal dates on all my domains the next time the renewals come around.

I never knew this was possible. Apparently GoDaddy offers it (called 'ConsoliDate') for .net and .com domains. Namecheap doesn't.

Or you could mark a date on the calendar every year to renew all your domains, regardless of when their expiration falls. Works either way.

• I have a personal Wiki setup with my code, snippets etc.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2013

what do you guys think of lastpass? I just downloaded and it seems better than keepass. For one it automatically intergrates into firefox and secondly it gets all the passwords stored in firefox and stores them in a online vault, thirdly, it saves passwords automatically as you type them into new websites.

Keepass - seems you have to do quite a bit of leg work before it will do the above.....

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited June 2013

@emg said:
    SSH Connections to VPSs:
    Public key. Local .profile aliases to connect to the respective VPSs in one command. SSH password login disabled. Root login disabled.

Just a protip to everyone here: you can make ssh aliases. (For OpenSSH client anyway) So my ~/.ssh/config has...

Host nyx HostName nyx.somedomain.tld User jrunyon

And just "ssh nyx"

I also use authorized_keys to specify commands to run on login, f.e. I have one key associated with "ssh nyxi" (instead of "ssh nyx") that automatically runs "screen -r -S irssi". So in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on nxy I put:

command="screen -r -S irssi" pubkeygoeshere irssikey@mypc

And then add a "IdentityFile" line to my "Host nyxi" block.

Thanked by 2emg enkizu
  • I own one LEB, and like 5 domains, so it's not really necessary :D

• bookmarks in chrome, Picture of first invoice, Link to the client portal, and a blank url with the ip :)

• emgemg Veteran

@DimeCadmium said:
    Just a protip to everyone here: you can make ssh aliases. ...

I didn't know this. That is a very cool tip. I found elsewhere that you can add a "Port" line as well. Thanks for this!

• @emg said:
    I found elsewhere that you can add a "Port" line as well.

"man ssh_config" for epic winning!

Thanked by 1natestamm
  • azizmbazizmb Member

LEBs: Add a DNS entry to a domain for each one.

Domains: I have all of my domains across 4 registrars, don't have a central place.

Licenses: I just login to the seller's site/panel.