Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ploi - Deploy tool feedback wanted
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ploi - Deploy tool feedback wanted

Cannonb4llsCannonb4lls Member
edited July 2018 in General

Hello everyone!

I recently started developing https://ploi.io, my intentions when I started it was pure for private use. But colleague developers noticed it and we're very enthusiastic about the project, that I started on making it public. I am the owner and the developer of Ploi, Ploi is currently taking about 80% of my time per week. Ploi is a VPS management tool where you can provision servers in with DigitalOcean, Vultr, Linode, Scaleway or a VPS by your favorite vendor (Ubuntu 18.04).

I am looking for some feedback on the frontend and if you have the spare time, on the panel design. Let me know!

P.S. If you want some more background about this project, I wrote an article about it:

https://medium.com/@dennissmink/why-i-started-creating-ploi-io-f2fe16dfb09a

Thanked by 1Waldo19

Comments

• Hi, i have some idle servers and i will do test.

but why it must be Ubuntu 18? what about if my provider doesnt support that version yet.

• @dedicados said:

Hi, i have some idle servers and i will do test.

but why it must be Ubuntu 18? what about if my provider doesnt support that version yet.

This is because my knowledge about Ubuntu is the highest, and I fully understand it. I am working for more supported OS's in the future but for now Ubuntu only.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Nice project. Congratulations.

Thanked by 1Cannonb4lls
  • SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep

@Cannonb4lls said:

@dedicados said:

This is because my knowledge about Ubuntu is the highest, and I fully understand it. I am working for more supported OS's in the future but for now Ubuntu only.

I think he was asking why not an earlier version of Ubuntu. (or if this is backwards compatible) 18.04 is quite new, and there are way more people utilizing 14.04/16.04 in production.

• Great! First question, how do you delete a server ( in case I entered the wrong ip address)?
    Could be obvious but I've not been able to find a delete button.

Second observation, you should give at least 7-10 day full feature ( the pro option) to new signup/accounts. The features I'll like to test are on the pro plan and I can't justify paying $10 for beta :)

• DazzleDazzle Member

More site quota on free plan and I will leave Serverpilot.

• @Dazzle said:

You should stay with serverpilot in that case as there's no going back (no free account) or try Runcloud.

• DazzleDazzle Member

@DanSummer said:

@Dazzle said:

You should stay with serverpilot in that case as there's no going back (no free account) or try Runcloud.

Yes, you're right. But the feel that I'm not needed (as a free user) anymore bothered me, surely they wiping out the freeriders, smoothly.

I'm expecting new service like Serverpilot to come, and here they are, Ploi.

Runcloud didn't do well for me.

• what went wrong with runcloud?
    I hope two-three more services like runcloud, serverpilot show up on the block. I hope Ploi is one of those ....they still have a long way to go.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Support CentOS and I will switch for sure! :D

• just test it and I can install with ubuntu 16.04

• First of all, thank you all for your kind replies. I value every piece of feedback therefore I will try to reply to everyone as much as I can.

@MikePT said:
    Nice project. Congratulations.

Thank you!

@Swiftnode said:

@Cannonb4lls said:

@dedicados said:

I think he was asking why not an earlier version of Ubuntu. (or if this is backwards compatible) 18.04 is quite new, and there are way more people utilizing 14.04/16.04 in production.

Ah, well Ploi used to be only using 16.04 and since the upgrade to 18.04 the installation has not changed much so it should work.

@DanSummer said:
    Great! First question, how do you delete a server ( in case I entered the wrong ip address)?
    Could be obvious but I've not been able to find a delete button.

Second observation, you should give at least 7-10 day full feature ( the pro option) to new signup/accounts. The features I'll like to test are on the pro plan and I can't justify paying $10 for beta :)

Good suggestion, when its on the installation progress you cannot delete it, but I will note this to our TODO list as this is required. After installation you can go to the META tab and find all specific information about your server as well as a delete button.

@DanSummer said:
    what went wrong with runcloud?
    I hope two-three more services like runcloud, serverpilot show up on the block. I hope Ploi is one of those ....they still have a long way to go.

Could you tell me what you are absolutely missing, Ploi is most certainly ready for production usage (I for example run 6 servers and exactly 49 websites spread over these servers)

@BlaZe said:
    Support CentOS and I will switch for sure! :D

Will note on our TODO list!

@newbiemasih said:
    just test it and I can install with ubuntu 16.04

Just as I expected, Ubuntu 16.04 installations should be fine indeed yes.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Cannonb4lls said: Good suggestion, when its on the installation progress you cannot delete it, but I will note this to our TODO list as this is required. After installation you can go to the META tab and find all specific information about your server as well as a delete button.

Then I've missed the opportunity to test this. What happened is this:
    I provisioned two identical vps servers, wanted to run some test with your system on one and runcloud on the other.... inserted the wrong server IP into your system and it has been attempting to install on the server with no luck for over 10 hours now.

it would keep trying to install on the wrong server forever.

Thanked by 1Cannonb4lls
  • @DanSummer said:

Cannonb4lls said: Good suggestion, when its on the installation progress you cannot delete it, but I will note this to our TODO list as this is required. After installation you can go to the META tab and find all specific information about your server as well as a delete button.

I provisioned two identical vps servers, wanted to run some test with your system on one and runcloud on the other.... inserted the wrong server IP into your system and it has been attempting to install on the server with no luck for over 10 hours now.

Haha, it looks like its installing but it actually isn't, it aborted installation and notified me what is going on. Can I remove it so you can test again?

• Nice! It's basically Laravel Forge, but at 1/4th the cost. For fans of self-hosted solutions, https://github.com/REBELinBLUE/deployer is a pretty good option, but it's just for code deployment and doesn't set up the environment for you.

Thanked by 1Cannonb4lls
  • @DeftNerd said:
    Nice! It's basically Laravel Forge, but at 1/4th the cost. For fans of self-hosted solutions, https://github.com/REBELinBLUE/deployer is a pretty good option, but it's just for code deployment and doesn't set up the environment for you.

Thank you, it basically is but it offers a few more features. :)

• Have been using it for several months now, developer is very responsive. Works without issues and way cheaper then Laravel Forge. Way better to let Ploi manage my servers than do it myself.

I'm a happy camper for now. :)

Thanked by 1Cannonb4lls
  • Cannonb4llsCannonb4lls Member
    edited July 2018

@taronyu said:
    Have been using it for several months now, developer is very responsive. Works without issues and way cheaper then Laravel Forge. Way better to let Ploi manage my servers than do it myself.

I'm a happy camper for now. :)

Thanks!

I got more feedback about the free trial, so I just released a new feature on Ploi that gives new users 5 days the basic plan so you can fully try it.

• @Cannonb4lls said:

@DanSummer said:

Cannonb4lls said: Good suggestion, when its on the installation progress you cannot delete it, but I will note this to our TODO list as this is required. After installation you can go to the META tab and find all specific information about your server as well as a delete button.

Haha, it looks like its installing but it actually isn't, it aborted installation and notified me what is going on. Can I remove it so you can test again?

Sure! Please proceed. Regarding features, how does your pro option compare to runcloud pro version (https://runcloud.io/pricing.html) in terms of features?

Thanked by 1Cannonb4lls
  • @DanSummer said:

@Cannonb4lls said:

@DanSummer said:

Sure! Please proceed. Regarding features, how does your pro option compare to runcloud pro version (https://runcloud.io/pricing.html) in terms of features?

I see they write every feature they have in that table, if I do that the list would be as long as theirs actually.

As far as I can see if you compare the pro versions, we offer extra;

• Automatic MySQL dropbox backup (to your own dropbox)
    • Zero Time Deployment

There might even be more, but I can't think of them right now.

Thanked by 1DanSummer
  • XNQXNQ Member

@Cannonb4lls said:

Would you be able to add Google Drive to that list? Either via rclone or any of the other software like drive? I use the following scripts for backing up files & db's for Runcloud:
    https://blog.ss88.us/backup-script-to-google-drive-runcloud

I currently use Runcloud and I'm happy with it, but I'm definitely gonna spin up a test VM to try out Ploi. :)

Thanked by 2Cannonb4lls Aidan
  • Very nice project, any plan to add apache + nginx support in the future just like serverpilot & runcloud?

Thanked by 1Cannonb4lls
  • Previous comments made me think about the pricing part so I refactored a bit more to clarify exactly what Ploi has, there is more which I will add later but this gives a huge indication already:

https://ploi.io/pricing

Let me know what you think!

@XNQ said:

@Cannonb4lls said:

Would you be able to add Google Drive to that list? Either via rclone or any of the other software like drive? I use the following scripts for backing up files & db's for Runcloud:
    https://blog.ss88.us/backup-script-to-google-drive-runcloud

I currently use Runcloud and I'm happy with it, but I'm definitely gonna spin up a test VM to try out Ploi. :)

Google Drive was indeed on our TODO list, i'll move it up a notch :)

@Matt247 said:
    Very nice project, any plan to add apache + nginx support in the future just like serverpilot & runcloud?

Not yet, but I am interested, could you tell me the benefits?

• williewillie Member

@Cannonb4lls can you edit your initial post to make it more clear that you're the developer/owner of Ploi? Thanks.

• @willie said:
    @Cannonb4lls can you edit your initial post to make it more clear that you're the developer/owner of Ploi? Thanks.

I sure would, but I cannot seem to edit it. It seems I can only edit a day back or something.

• First sentence said he started it

• williewillie Member

OmgpleaseRead said: First sentence said he started it

It says "I recently started with https://ploi.io..." which at first glance sounded like it was an existing product and he started using it.

Cannonb4lls said: I sure would, but I cannot seem to edit it

I can edit it for you if you want. Just let me know what it should say.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

It might be worth condensing your feature breakdowns on the plans. I have to scroll to even see the signup button because so many features are listed

• @willie said:

OmgpleaseRead said: First sentence said he started it

It says "I recently started with https://ploi.io..." which at first glance sounded like it was an existing product and he started using it.

Cannonb4lls said: I sure would, but I cannot seem to edit it

I can edit it for you if you want. Just let me know what it should say.

Will send you a message.

@Awmusic12635 said:
    It might be worth condensing your feature breakdowns on the plans. I have to scroll to even see the signup button because so many features are listed

I was kind of thinking the same, but could you elaborate a bit more on breaking down?

• @Cannonb4lls said:
    Not yet, but I am interested, could you tell me the benefits?

Running apache + nginx as a reverse proxy give user ability to use .htaccess for URL rewrite without need to convert to nginx configuration, this is very useful feature.