Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LetBox Issues | retracting service with custom terms
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LetBox Issues | retracting service with custom terms

PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
edited June 2013 in Providers

Short story: I contacted letbox about a custom vps with a bit more drive space and the cpu limitations lifted from what was stated in their AUP. The sales support tech agreed to the terms that i could receive this for $20 a month (about 3X LEB price). The server was setup and everything was fine.
Today i was greeted with a service suspension notice for CPU Abuse. With their standard limit being load average of 1 or 20%.

top - 02:48:32 up 17 days, 21:43, 0 users, load average: 1.23, 1.03, 0.67
Tasks: 36 total, 1 running, 35 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 28.4%us, 1.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 67.0%id, 3.2%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.5%st

First thing i thought was this must have been by accident, OK so i contact support inquiring why it was suspended. The gave me what is shown above and that it was CPU abuse. Now wait a second i was paying you about three times the price that the vps was normally would have cost to stop this issue if there was a spike in CPU.

Please read my interactions with their staff and what the agreed to. Now from my point of view they just were taking an extra $13 a month from me and didn't provide the service to the point of suspending the server. They just tricked me out of $13 per month for the past few months.

Pre-Sales Ticket
Alt text
Suspension Ticket
Alt text

Comments

• Ask for someone who can speak fluent English? Maybe they will understand what he agreed to :P

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited June 2013

It's the same support agent who agreed to the lifted CPU limit. I'm sure they likely don't have any. But if they don't need my $20 a month i'm sure there is another host who would happily take it.

Anyone who can offer something along these lines

4 cores w/ decent clock speed

100 mbps with 1TB bandwidth

5 GB or ram

100 GB disk space

U.S. Based

$20 / month

No ridiculous CPU terms. (non abusive) OpenVZ fine

• BradNDBradND Member

Not gonna happen

• If you need a dedicated core constantly, you would need to pay a lot more than what you have expressed, especially with 5GB of RAM also.

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited June 2013

typically only had a load of .5, if I had access to the load graphs i would show them. Plus if you read the longer ticket you'l see where the cpu was limited to 1.4 ghz per core.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Unlikely. That's up in the $40-50/month range from us.

• $20, 5gb ram? 100mbps unmetered? What were you expecting?

• @seriesn said:
    $20, 5gb ram? 100mbps unmetered? What were you expecting?

well you got that for $7, i paid the $13 extra for the cpu usage limit removed.

• It was still being oversold. They just suckered you in.

• The provider did agree to the terms.

• Issue lies with the let (note, not lowendbox but let) mindset where we want everything for nothing and then endup losing everything for nothing.

• @joelgm said:
    The provider did agree to the terms.

that is more of what i'm complain about they happily took my extra money.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2013

What did you expect, really?

Also It was obvious from the first reply to your first ticket, that they barely read your tickets, probably understand very little English, what's most importantly care very little about you, and let's just say have not the greatest amount of general competence, technical or otherwise. This is completely in line with my experiences with other Egyptian company (CityNetHost) which I personally was using in the past.

I always wonder, where do people see the logic in buying an US-based VPS from an Egyptian/Indian/Arabic/etc-based "company"?

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2013

Look the IO wait, We have no problem with your CPU usage as long as paid for it also maybe there is some Misunderstanding.

edited June 2013

@rm_ said:
    I always wonder, where do people see the logic in buying an US-based VPS from an Egyptian/Indian/Arabic/etc-based "company"?

We provide services better thans lot of US provider here, Have you ever try us?

@PcJamesy said:
    typically only had a load of .5, if I had access to the load graphs i would show them. Plus if you read the longer ticket you'l see where the cpu was limited to 1.4 ghz per core.

I will be happy to can provide screenshot if you wish form the CPU usage but this not the issue I/O is.

• DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited June 2013

Edit: Nvm..I can see it mentioned on the ticket.

edited June 2013

@joelgm said:
    That's contrary to what the customer was infomed. He was quoted atop value and told that it was CPU abuse that led to suspension of VPS. Now you're saying it is IO. Which one is it?

Where did we say the CPU abuse? The support just copy past no signal word about CPU overload. The customer misunderstanding and the support agent fault too for no explain.

I'm on my way now and i happy to work with cutomer to resolve this.

Thanks.

• irmirm Member
    edited June 2013

@key900 said:
    Where did we say the CPU abuse?

Uh the final part of the suspension ticket screenshot shows you or one of your support staff members citing the reason for the suspension was due to IO abuse and CPU usage.

I could understand if the customer was going overboard with IO abuse but you guys are also specifically citing CPU usage as one of the contributing factors for the suspension.

@joelgm said:
    Edit: Nvm..I can see it mentioned on the ticket.

Yes, That's before read his custom plan i see the support fault here looks he not read the ticket history, but the same here mention I/O.

@fcfc said:

Answered before.

• prae5prae5 Member

3% wait is hardly io abuse.

edited June 2013

@prae5 said:

From screenshot i get from support it's 4 and sometimes up to 6

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

wow .... just..... nvm

• The io wait was likely due to a full map backup being made every three hours and generating an pretty large zip file. @key900 can you tell me if these IO spikes were constant or about three hours apart.

@PcJamesy said:
    The io wait was likely due to a full map backup being made every three hours and generating an pretty large zip file. key900 can you tell me if these IO spikes were constant or about three hours apart.

I'm sorry i wasn't there i enjoy by my weekend, I will let my staff update your ticket.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited June 2013

@key900 said:
    We provide services better thans lot of US provider here, Have you ever try us?

Based on the comments left by unsatisfied customers on all of your LEB offers, a fairly clear picture emerges: massively oversold RAM and nodes whose performance is subpar to mediocre at best (stuffing 5GB RAM plans on E3's with only 32GB WTF), and customer service and ethics that rank near the bottom of the openvz barrel.

A handful of providers (specifically Prometeus, Edis, Iniz) ,all of them using E5's with a minimum of 128GB-256GB RAM, have been able to successfully offer openvz mega-5GB-RAM plans that offer great performance....

...and then there are the providers like you who oversell RAM like mad and offer 5GB plans on E-3's with 32GB RAM max per node. Sorry, but when you're selling 5GB plans on 32GB nodes the end result will always be crap performance. Combine that crap performance with a support staff that appears to have trouble even knowing how to tie their shoes, and the end result is a long line of unhappy customers.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2013

@prae5 said:

It depends on host.
    When you have fast disks the customer must hammer them badly to get 3% or anything above say .3 io wait.
    For the regular sata providers, that is normal, I agree, but it depends very much on the local setup.
    We do not have io over 1 unless the back-ups are running or there is some abuser at it.

edited June 2013

@DomainBop said:

We are using E5 bro, We just using E3 as long as we have free Ram there, If you don't know how it going and run Please stop saying anything.

@Maounique said:

We do not have io over 1 unless the back-ups are running or there is some abuser at it.

We are using SAS2 And yes 3% or 4% should be abuse.

The Customer have another VPS and never complain.

• ztecztec Member

His English hurts me. I understand him though, but would never trust him with my personal information.