Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ColoCrossing (and ChicagoVPS/HVH/LET/LEB/etc) Acquired by Deluxe.com? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ColoCrossing (and ChicagoVPS/HVH/LET/LEB/etc) Acquired by Deluxe.com?

Comments

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I had a brief discussion with @Nick earlier - he seems to be the more active one round here.

Thanked by 1Nick
  • Congratz biloh, enjoy the millions, you deserved it :)

• @FlamesRunner said:
    I mean, we could just tag him in...

@jbiloh

(maybe email notifications work now? idk)

Not getting some email notifications too.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

You guys use e-mails?

• HxxxHxxx Member

@Francisco What is stock?
    Love you dude. Bring some.

• @deank said:
    You guys use e-mails?

Who don't?

• Big, If True

• FoulFoul Member

Francisco said: I don't think @jbiloh is involved in any real capacity at this point. He hasent been on the site since Feb.

Last Active 9:27AM

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I recently asked for LET independence day. Looks like we might get it.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@teamacc said:

That is hilarious!
    To be frank, I deal with CCs team close to every day, they seem to be nice guys, I actually like CC. Its just their broken network that ruins it.

@Jack said:
    @MikePT what’s broken about their network?

I assumed people hated on them mainly due to many LEB hosts being with them and lack of v6?

So many things. Some locations perform better than others obviously. But Buffalo is just... Shit.

• RizRiz Member

@Jack said:

@MikePT said:

@Jack said:

I assumed people hated on them mainly due to many LEB hosts being with them and lack of v6?

So many things. Some locations perform better than others obviously. But Buffalo is just... Shit.

You’ve not provided much info here, just that it’s shit?

Slow throughput? Packetloss? High latency?

Yes.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@Jack said: Great, thanks for your input.

B
    A
    N
    D
    W
    A
    G
    O
    N

• classyclassy Member

Guys, if everybody says it’s shit it must be! Don’t believe me? It’s true, trust me!

/sarcasm

edited July 2018

@Jack said:

@MikePT said:

@Jack said:

You’ve not provided much info here, just that it’s shit?

Slow throughput? Packetloss? High latency?

Sorry, was on mobile. Mainly, their DDoS Protection doesn't seem to work properly, the throughput sucks, their auto nullroute if you're bursting the connection sucks. Some of their network policies suck and performance isn't great.

Though for example, LA, seems to perform much better.

Support wise, Nick, Adam and other folks there are just awesome guys. They're pretty fast with the tickets. Sometimes hw replacements do take a while if they're out of stock for that particular hw, they need to improve that, I assume this acquisition will help them improving what's necessary.
    I do like, for example, their panel is developed quite often, they've been improving it. Their pxe installer is broken though, but you have rDNS there, ability to shutdown etc the server and even IPMI. Their IPMI setup is also nice, defaults to internal ips which is a good thing, etc. There are certain things I like on CC. Network in Buffalo is certainly the worst thing there.

Thanked by 1Nick
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Foul said:

Francisco said: I don't think @jbiloh is involved in any real capacity at this point. He hasent been on the site since Feb.

Last Active 9:27AM

But when this was posted this morning it was February if I remember correctly.

Francisco

• FoulFoul Member

Francisco said: But when this was posted this morning it was February if I remember correctly.

What a tittwister

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

I don't actually mind CC's services... I've used VirMach quite extensively for awhile now and had no issues with network/power/anything that would be under CC's control.

IPv6 doesn't matter to me, I don't run mail servers on those IPs, network is good enough in Buffalo, LA and Dallas for my uses. :shrug:

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited July 2018

I've used a Chicago VPS several months ago when fiddling around with my crystal-lang gameserver. Worked quite well actually had no issues

Thanked by 2netomx Nick

IPv6 wise, many other DCs dont offer it yet because its not critical for their clients. Granted its a step further for IPv6 adoption, but there is still IPv4. Its not an immediate need.

• I would be willing to bet that they are under NDA and are not allowed to disclose anything until Deluxe.com feels like it (probably part of the purchase agreement). So I doubt you will hear much from them directly. At least that is what I would bet on given the reputation of ColoCrossing and the fact they haven't made any announcement about it, yet.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1Nick
  • Huh. And here I was joking about it just a day or two back.

Neat.

@TheLinuxBug said:
    I would be willing to bet that they are under NDA and are not allowed to disclose anything until Deluxe.com feels like it (probably part of the purchase agreement). So I doubt you will hear much from them directly. At least that is what I would bet on given the reputation of ColoCrossing and the fact they haven't made any announcement about it, yet.

Cheers!

Agreed!

• let's close this topic too, since it's going nowhere ;)

• KrisKris Member

Yeah that Buffalo DC wasn't built to really be a 'competitive' network, it was more to hold the precious:

IPs Originated (v4): 779,520

Take small DC in Buffalo with a handful of PoPs. Move from daycare into nicer downtown space. Get some PR released, throw an Inc 5000 and get a nice new website with 'NOC'. Hire 10-20 staff. Acquire smaller brands. Hoard IPs hard. Well done, I guess? Can't say I didn't see this coming. Those IPs alone will give Deluxe.com decades of hosting / IP assets, assuming they're part of the sale.

As for the lack of IPv6... don't need it when you have an exit plan it seems!

Thanked by 1vimalware

Kris said: Take small DC in Buffalo with a handful of PoPs. Move from daycare into nicer downtown space. Get some PR released, throw an Inc 5000 and get a nice new website with 'NOC'. Hire 10-20 staff. Acquire smaller brands. Hoard IPs hard. Well done, I guess? Can't say I didn't see this coming. Those IPs alone will give Deluxe.com decades of hosting / IP assets, assuming they're part of the sale.

The IP's are the only asset they have, what else do they have? The vast majority of their customer base is extremely...we'll go with frugal. It's extremely easy to duplicate what CC has become if you're willing to sell servers at no profit margin and use 5 year lease terms. The only hard part is IP's.

Francisco

• KrisKris Member
    edited July 2018

Francisco said: The IP's are the only asset they have, what else do they have? The vast majority of their customer base is extremely...we'll go with frugal. It's extremely easy to duplicate what CC has become if you're willing to sell servers at no profit margin and use 5 year lease terms. The only hard part is IP's.

Yep. Until IPs ran out, their customer base itself was an asset. I remember working as a support agent at HVH, I requested a /25 for a server. Next week, an LET thread was opened because a customer from some... VPS company owned by someone pretending to be a girl (I forget so long back) had IPs showing SWIP'd to Hudson Valley Host.

I looked at bgp.he.net, and that week (7) brand new /24's were issued to Hudson Valley Host. These guys were planning that far back. They were soon SWIP'd to the generic ColoCrossing, but until ARIN was dry, customer names and in the later Phases, customer addresses were valuable in themselves.

One of the cleaner more transparent ways it was done in a very honest fashion was XVMLabs. They kept them running until the end, and we all knew what the end game was - Bandwagon Host needed some acorns for winter... Honestly everyone did. Why? Because you had companies like CC, and a ton of other shysters with an LLC in Delaware who were hoarding IPS. Hell, CC was stocking up so hard they were named in a some thesis document on the top 5 companies of IPs during depletion time along with Azure and AWS.

Thanked by 1vimalware

@Kris said:

Francisco said: The IP's are the only asset they have, what else do they have? The vast majority of their customer base is extremely...we'll go with frugal. It's extremely easy to duplicate what CC has become if you're willing to sell servers at no profit margin and use 5 year lease terms. The only hard part is IP's.

Yep. Until IPs ran out, their customer base itself was an asset. I remember working as a support agent at HVH, I requested a /25 for a server. Next week, an LET thread was opened because a customer from some... VPS company owned by someone pretending to be a girl (I forget so long back) had IPs showing SWIP'd to Hudson Valley Host.

I looked at bgp.he.net, and that week (7) brand new /24's were issued to Hudson Valley Host. These guys were planning that far back. They were soon SWIP'd to the generic ColoCrossing, but until ARIN was dry, customer names and in the later Phases, customer addresses were valuable in themselves.

One of the cleaner more transparent ways it was done in a very honest fashion was XVMLabs. They kept them running until the end, and we all knew what the end game was - Bandwagon Host needed some acorns for winter... Honestly everyone did. Why? Because you had companies like CC, and a ton of other shysters with an LLC in Delaware who were hoarding IPS. Hell, CC was stocking up so hard they were named in a some thesis document on the top 5 companies of IPs during depletion time along with Azure and AWS.

Actually, that may be why they haven't announced the swap yet.

ARIN's going to require justification of all the blocks and there is no way in Gods green earth that CC has anywhere near enough to justify everything.

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware