Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner drops flexi pack
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner drops flexi pack

chxchx Member

It seems the infamous flexi pack is completely gone. https://www.hetzner.com/flexipack/ no longer mentions it, a year ago https://web.archive.org/web/20170820171940/https://www.hetzner.com/flexipack/ it was still there. Same with their wiki.

Much cheaper to tweak the auction servers.

In other news they now have E5-1650V2 and V3 machines on auction, 128GB below 70 EUR and 256GB below 100 EUR -- not bad.

Thanked by 1vimalware

Comments

• What about the users already paying for it on recurring basis? :(

@Hetzner_OL

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

You can now add the hardware at no extra charge? Wow that's great. Also it looks like they decreased the price of the 10TB HDD add-on (and maybe other prices changed as well). At 19.5 euro/m for 10TB that's just about the cheapest storage per TB available anywhere. I think it was 30 euro/m before. Nice!

And yes, the flexipack was around as recently as a couple weeks ago.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • drivexdrivex Member

@jetchirag said:
    What about the users already paying for it on recurring basis? :(

@Hetzner_OL

I‘ve seen an answer in their board, that you can write a ticket and get the flexi option removed from your existing server.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited July 2018

@willie said:
    You can now add the hardware at no extra charge? Wow that's great. Also it looks like they decreased the price of the 10TB HDD add-on (and maybe other prices changed as well). At 19.5 euro/m for 10TB that's just about the cheapest storage per TB available anywhere. I think it was 30 euro/m before. Nice!

And yes, the flexipack was around as recently as a couple weeks ago.

Excellent stuff, superb, though I can't seem to be able to add more than 1 of those disks while ordering :\

• williewillie Member

MikePT said:

Excellent stuff, superb, though I can't seem to be able to add more than 1 of those disks while ordering :\

Yeah I wondered how many disks the servers can hold. I know it depends on the model, e.g. some of the Dell servers can hold quite a few. I wonder also if you can swap out an existing lower capacity disk (probably for no credit but we can't have everything).

Per their email newsletter there is also a sale going on: setup fee is temporarily removed for EX41, EX41S, EX51, EX51-SSD, PX61-SSD, PX61-NVMe, AX60-SSD,
    AX160-NVMe, AX160-SSD.

Hey @Hetzner_OL how are the AMD servers working out so far? It would be nice to have a low priced GPU server (AX50 say), based on the Ryzen 2400G which has 11 Vega Compute Units if I remember right. That is maybe 1/6th the performance of the GTX 1080 card in the EX51-GPU, but it's built into the relatively low cost CPU chip. Also eagerly awaiting GPU servers in the Hetzner cloud.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@willie said:

MikePT said:

Yeah I wondered how many disks the servers can hold. I know it depends on the model, e.g. some of the Dell servers can hold quite a few. I wonder also if you can swap out an existing lower capacity disk (probably for no credit but we can't have everything).

Per their email newsletter there is also a sale going on: setup fee is temporarily removed for EX41, EX41S, EX51, EX51-SSD, PX61-SSD, PX61-NVMe, AX60-SSD,
    AX160-NVMe, AX160-SSD.

Hey @Hetzner_OL how are the AMD servers working out so far? It would be nice to have a low priced GPU server (AX50 say), based on the Ryzen 2400G which has 11 Vega Compute Units if I remember right. That is maybe 1/6th the performance of the GTX 1080 card in the EX51-GPU, but it's built into the relatively low cost CPU chip. Also eagerly awaiting GPU servers in the Hetzner cloud.

Nevertheless, it's still pretty good. I mean, excellent from Hetzner. Ruins OVH totally.

• So we can alter current server bidding hardware and pay extra with the options provided? or is it applicable to any particular range? Thanks

• chxchx Member

@plumberg said:
    So we can alter current server bidding hardware and pay extra with the options provided?

Yes, that's the gist of it. It is quite monumental, I'd say. But file a product advice ticket in the robot first and ask how many disks can you squeeze in. You can figure out what are you bidding on based on https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Root_Server_Hardware/en#EX_Servers -- the CPU identifies the model, there's little overlap.

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL southy
  • @chx said:

@plumberg said:
    So we can alter current server bidding hardware and pay extra with the options provided?

Yes, that's the gist of it. It is quite monumental, I'd say. But file a product advice ticket in the robot first and ask how many disks can you squeeze in. You can figure out what are you bidding on based on https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Root_Server_Hardware/en#EX_Servers -- the CPU identifies the model, there's little overlap.

Thanks for the tip. This is awesome.

• williewillie Member

Wonder if it's time for a refresh of the SX line, to switch to 10TB drives. SX291 with 150TB of storage starts to get interesting :).

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

jetchirag said: What about the users already paying for it on recurring basis? :(

I suggest that they write a support request via the user interface Robot. My colleagues there will help you. --Katie

willie said: It would be nice to have a low priced GPU server (AX50 say), based on the Ryzen 2400G which has 11 Vega Compute Units if I remember right. That is maybe 1/6th the performance of the GTX 1080 card in the EX51-GPU, but it's built into the relatively low cost CPU chip. Also eagerly awaiting GPU servers in the Hetzner cloud.

I can pass this feedback onto my colleagues. But you guys know that we don't publish information on new products in advance. Thanks for the feedback! --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said:

jetchirag said: What about the users already paying for it on recurring basis? :(

I suggest that they write a support request via the user interface Robot. My colleagues there will help you. --Katie

Thanks, I left a message in morning. Sorry I forgot to update this thread.

They said that I can ask for flexipack to be removed after nearly an year from date of purchase. It's in December but never mind :)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

willie said: Yeah I wondered how many disks the servers can hold. I know it depends on the model, e.g. some of the Dell servers can hold quite a few. I wonder also if you can swap out an existing lower capacity disk (probably for no credit but we can't have everything).

If you have any questions about the configurations, just write us a support request via Robot if you are already a customer. If you're not yet a customer, you can reach our technicians at https://www.hetzner.com/support-form The team there can give you more detailed answers than I can. --Katie

• AFAIK even the {sandy,ivy} i7 auction servers have 4 drive capacity.

I guess I'll keep my 22euro 2TB(HGSTx2 raid1) auction server until I need more than 2TB.
    At that point, it makes more sense to add 1 or 2 10TB disks to my other 64GB RAM EX41-SSD (depending on whether I want to deploy backup space or object-storage/NAS )

• @willie said:
    Also eagerly awaiting GPU servers in the Hetzner cloud.

Not trolling, just curious, what you need a GPU in a webserver for? (special math?)

• williewillie Member

dergelbe said: Not trolling, just curious, what you need a GPU in a webserver for? (special math?)

I've been looking at machine learning videos lately (www.fast.ai) and also interested in Leela Chess Zero which is a neural net chess program. GPUs are heavily used for that stuff.

Thanked by 1dergelbe
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

dergelbe said: Not trolling, just curious, what you need a GPU in a webserver for? (special math?)

Hetzner Cloud can also be used for other stuff than just webservers I'd imagine.

• williewillie Member

Yeah I just interpreted webserver as a more general type of server. I have only one actual http server running right now (on a BuyVM slice along with a bunch of other stuff on that slice), and it has super low traffic, plus I have a few personal web pages on shared hosting (Buyshared and Afreecloud). I have several dedis used mostly for storage and computation, and the all-important enterprise-class idling.

• chxchx Member

@willie said:
    Wonder if it's time for a refresh of the SX line, to switch to 10TB drives. SX291 with 150TB of storage starts to get interesting :).

14TB or GTFO. Toshiba and Seagate have 14TB PMR drives.

Thanked by 1willie
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2018

Has anyone added an SSD to an HDD-only auction server for the stated hardware price (6.5EUR for consumer 240G ssd).

I don't want to be surprised by hidden setup fees anymore.

background: I am just about to drop a 39 euro SSD dedi .
    So my options for io-sensitive apps are either : add an SSD (or 2) to HDD-dedi (OR) buy a Netcup SSD Rootserver .

• seems that hetzner have now 256 gb ram for 85€

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@SonicFast said:
    seems that hetzner have now 256 gb ram for 85€

They have the cheapest servers since a while, with the amount of memory you get.

Nothing new, Hetzner still offers the best/performance on cpu, disk and memory.

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

SonicFast said: seems that hetzner have now 256 gb ram for 85€

Which model? I don't see that and if it's right, it's amazing even for Hetzner.

@Hetzner_OL I notice that https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Root_Server_Hardware/en#RAM mentions you can add 16x 64GB ram (total 1TB) to the AX160, but the AX160 page mentions a 512GB maximum. You might ask your web team to fix this discrepancy. I can't wait to get a 1TB server ;-).

@willie said:

SonicFast said: seems that hetzner have now 256 gb ram for 85€

Which model? I don't see that and if it's right, it's amazing even for Hetzner.

https://robot.your-server.de/order/marketConfirm/873114/culture/en_/country/OTHER

• williewillie Member
    edited August 2018

Wow, clicking confirm led to an order page, but that server doesn't actually show up in the auction. The least expensive 256GB server currently in the auction is 134 euro (still great) but I guess that other one was available earlier. So pretty amazing.

@willie said:
    Wow, clicking confirm led to an order page, but that server doesn't actually show up in the auction. The least expensive 256GB server currently in the auction is 134 euro (still great) but I guess that other one was available earlier. So pretty amazing.

Well, the API returns it, otherwise would not be listed on metaDedi.

Thanked by 1willie
  • The API finds servers that don't show up on the auction web page? Interesting. I'll have to start monitoring it.

@willie said:
    The API finds servers that don't show up on the auction web page? Interesting. I'll have to start monitoring it.

Just checked, its listed:

• Oh I see, my search parameters were too restrictive. But anyway I don't see it now, so probably someone nabbed it. There's another one for 102 euro. This is insane either way. Some years back I had a somewhat pressing need at work for a server like that but the cost would have been ridiculous (I used around 100 smaller servers instead). Now it's semi-affordable from beer money except I don't have a use for it any more.