Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't providers use OpenVZ 7? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why don't providers use OpenVZ 7?

2»

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

flipperhost said: After all, ı wonder if there is anyone who has extensively tested and compared and listed the issues he has had with Openvz 7 over OpenVZ 6 and I guess once they no longer need to support vz6 some additional features will pop up?

I have been running a free beta trial for a long time now, honestly it just works, purely from the perspective of hosting with solusvm, its identical to vz6 just with a newer kernel and possibly a better template system.

Tr33n said: Never heard that they do not recommend using it. Neither their support told me that nor i can find that informations at the SolusVM 1.20.0 released thread on LET. The changelog on the stable (!) branch clearly indicate that they support it:

I think the reason someone may have said that is because vz7 only came out of beta/rtm about 5 (ish) weeks ago so really, while solusvm supported it, you could not really consider it stable.

• Tr33nTr33n Member

AnthonySmith said: I think the reason someone may have said that is because vz7 only came out of beta/rtm about 5 (ish) weeks ago so really, while solusvm supported it, you could not really consider it stable.

Oh, ok, didn't knew that.

I installed openvz 7 around 1 year ago and quickly reinstalled it with ovz 6 because it was buggy as hell. But now, it looks to be more mature.

• edited July 2018

@Francisco said:

stevewatson301 said: Long term, what do you (or providers in general) intend to move to, since OVZ6 EOL is not too far away?

Personally, our company has focused more on KVM's at this point and by next year I'll likely bring up enough transfer gear to offer 1:1 migrations for people into KVM instances instead.

LXC and such has a lot of shortcomings (because it isn't designed for multi tenant use) so it's not a great option. You can jimmy rig parts but many parts are still borked.

Francisco

All the points you hit on is my take as well, including LXC.

I have used OVZ 6 and KVM side by side for years. KVM has always been more stable. It got better with kernel updates but it's never been as solid as KVM. Sounds like OVZ 7 started that cycle all over again. I don't like the fact you now have to use a custom OS distro for OVZ 7.

• edited July 2018

@Shazan said:
    I like OpenVZ 6 because of simfs. If I am not wrong, OpenVZ 7 uses bindmounts in place of it and user second level quotas are not implemented (at the moment) with bindmounts.
    @Shazan said:
    I like OpenVZ 6 because of simfs. If I am not wrong, OpenVZ 7 uses bindmounts in place of it and user second level quotas are not implemented (at the moment) with bindmounts.

Simfs is one of the best things about OVZ 6. I think it's limited to what it can do on OVZ 7 and will not be there moving forward. They are basically saying don't use it. So that's just another reason not to use OVZ 7 imo.

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I’ll probably roll it out on new LES locations. Depends on the outcome from the first few tries

Yep, I am working the plan to migrate all LES services to VZ7 as well right now (as well as all current VZ6 services)

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

@AnthonySmith said:
    Yep, I am working the plan to migrate all LES services to VZ7 as well right now (as well as all current VZ6 services)

How about some new LES locations?

v3ng said: How about some new LES locations?

I will not be doing any new locations any time soon, I just have to many other things to concentrate on, @Mikho has 10 now and I believe that will soon grow.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ

@v3ng said:

@AnthonySmith said:

How about some new LES locations?

I’m working with @Oliver of RansomIT to roll out in Auckland and Singapore next.

Other suggestions on locations?

@AnthonySmith said:

v3ng said: How about some new LES locations?

I will not be doing any new locations any time soon, I just have to many other things to concentrate on, @Mikho has 10 now and I believe that will soon grow.

”Only” 8, soon (?) to be 10 :)

mikho said: ”Only” 8, soon (?) to be 10 :)

Ah ok, you have 10 in your sig that's all.

• This is due to CentOS 6 is still supported until November 30th, 2020. Now in 2020 the OpenVZ 7 is already widely used in the world. See recent stats: https://stats7-web.openvz.org/

See also OpenVZ 6 vs OpenVZ 7: https://blog.iniz.com/differences-between-openvz-6-and-openvz-7/

• @linuxbuild said:
    This is due to CentOS 6 is still supported until November 30th, 2020. Now in 2020 the OpenVZ 7 is already widely used in the world. See recent stats: https://stats7-web.openvz.org/

See also OpenVZ 6 vs OpenVZ 7: https://blog.iniz.com/differences-between-openvz-6-and-openvz-7/

Thanked by 1skorous
  • I wonder why anyone would use OpenVZ when you can get full virtualization with KVM. There is no reason for OpenVZ any longer.

• I would like to ask one general question to all users. Why people still want to use OpenVZ VPS. We have a more efficient virtualization option on the KVM and Xen platform. If you are looking on budget VPS then you can go with OpenVZ 7.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited January 2020

@linuxbuild said:
    This is due to CentOS 6 is still supported until November 30th, 2020.

Dude, so you signed up to necropost?

In addition, CentOS 6 NOT= OpenVZ 6

Thanked by 1maverickp