Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there VPS's with IPs that haven't been spammed to death?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are there VPS's with IPs that haven't been spammed to death?

FistoFisto Member

I want to install a personal VPN on a VPS that I can do basic things like google searches without having to enter a Captcha every time.

Can anyone recommend a provider with decent IPs?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

Google does for for basically any datacenter range.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MikeA said:
    Google does for for basically an datacenter range.

Pretty much this.

Maybe v6 isn't as bad, but v4 is that way.

Francisco

• wilbowilbo Member

I had an IP number with SpeedyKVM about a year ago that was as pure as the driven snow, I was going to use it as my mail server so I checked it. Never did set up a mail server on it though.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@wilbo said:
    I had an IP number with SpeedyKVM about a year ago that was as pure as the driven snow, I was going to use it as my mail server so I checked it. Never did set up a mail server on it though.

We're on LET.

Thanked by 2bjo AuroraZ
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I've never had to fill out a CAPTCHA before, is that really a thing?

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The old ones; I think like 3 years ago.

Nowadays, it's either invisible or simple click.

• ChuckChuck Member

@wilbo said:

Did you use it for Hentai@Home?

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@deank said:

These days they do visual recognition to train ML algos.

Select all cars in this image.
    Select all street signs.
    Select all shop fronts.

We get them all the time on our business line at work.

• lionlion Member
    edited July 2018

They usually challenge ASNs which are used by VPN companies such as OVH or leaseweb. Any company which isn't overused by VPN companies is fine.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

trewq said: Select all cars in this image. Select all street signs. Select all shop fronts.

Every single fucking one of those is open to multiple interpretations. Drives me nuts. Do we count a part of a car, a car in the distance...

I usually say "ok, put brain on sleep for 10 seconds and fill out the captcha like a dumb person". Success rate: about 70% on the first one.

Honestly, there's always a "is this site really worth it" moment when I see a captcha.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@Chuck said:

@wilbo said:

Did you use it for Hentai@Home?

Oh god, that thing really exists, I thought you were joking.

• ehabehab Member

@raindog308 said:

hmmmm,,, what do you see here

• sinsin Member
    edited July 2018

I mean I get captchas with Google on some of the IPs I receive from Verizon FIOS until they get to know the IP, then the captchas stop.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

raindog308 said: Every single fucking one of those is open to multiple interpretations. Drives me nuts. Do we count a part of a car, a car in the distance...

That's whta they want though, because AFAIK, they use your selections to help train their reognition engines. There is no wrong answers, I've "passed"captchas often when choosing the "wrong" thing, which usually happens after answering 10 of them in a row.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:

trewq said: Select all cars in this image. Select all street signs. Select all shop fronts.

Every single fucking one of those is open to multiple interpretations. Drives me nuts. Do we count a part of a car, a car in the distance...

I usually say "ok, put brain on sleep for 10 seconds and fill out the captcha like a dumb person". Success rate: about 70% on the first one.

Honestly, there's always a "is this site really worth it" moment when I see a captcha.

Pretty sure they make you fail the first one on purpose most of the time as it's used for training, the second is confirming an algo they have already trained. They used to do the same with the book captcha, they knew 100% one of the works, the other was just collecting data.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

Yeah sometime I need to enter captcha on OVH. Never on Leaseweb network (both in SG)

• I have VPN/Proxy on 24x7 from my router, out of 6 VPS I have, only 1 gives me that Captcha.

And I kind of know why, because I once setup proxy by using KCP, and then I use Google Search... Google should believe I'm a spammer...

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@ehab said:

I see.... a devil ... bringing apocalypse to our world...

The end is nigh.

• YuraYura Member

@JerryHou said:
    I have VPN/Proxy on 24x7 from my router, out of 6 VPS I have, only 1 gives me that Captcha.

And I kind of know why, because I once setup proxy by using KCP, and then I use Google Search... Google should believe I'm a spammer...

I don't get it. Spamming is when you send penis pill emails, no? How's that related to Google search? What is NOT spamming in this day and age?

• @trewq said:

@deank said:

These days they do visual recognition to train ML algos.

Select all cars in this image.
    Select all street signs.
    Select all shop fronts.

We get them all the time on our business line at work.

... too bad Google’s retarded algo doesn’t think that the pole is a part of the stupid “street sign”

(or even when you select a tiny car in the distance and it doesn’t recognize that tile as a car...)

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

Yura said: Spamming is when you send penis pill emails, no? How's that related to Google search? What is NOT spamming in this day and age?

Pounding a search engine or other web service with automated queries can be seen as a type of spamming. Captchas try to prevent that.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • Solution: Don't spam their search form.

I rotate between a Leaseweb Singapore , UltraVPS NL, and Liteserver NL vps for my public internet access and I've yet to see any captcha (since 2015 at least)

• birchbeerbirchbeer Member
    edited July 2018

@Yura said:
    I don't get it. Spamming is when you send penis pill emails, no? How's that related to Google search? What is NOT spamming in this day and age?

I think that the OP may have intended to ask about IP reputation and not email spamming.

What drew me to this forum a few months ago was that I was looking for same thing. I've been mostly lurking but I had similar curiosity in that we were looking for inexpensive VPS providers that may have decent IP reputation.

Organizations that care about how they are access use IP rep feeds and threat intelligent feeds as a filter. These feeds typically do a decent job but as someone mentioned - certain IPs like TOR exit nodes or VPN services can get flagged. In theory, IP's that get recycled with initial bad rep should get aged out. But I'm unfamiliar with how some of these threat intelligence feeds do that.

As for the CAPTHA - that's a bit different - many people use a service from Google called reCAPTCHA. This let's Google aggregate quite a bit of info about IP rep and if the source is a bot or a human. There's been interesting research into breaking CAPTCHA's lately so it's essentially a race. There even used to be services many years ago where it was possible to rent humans to break CAPTCHA's for a fee but I don't know if those kinds of services still exist. There was even jokes about using Amazon's mechanical turk services to break CAPTCHA's. The latest Google reCAPTCHA beta actually seems promising.

@Fisto - one reason why Google search will force a reCAPTHA and temporary bans is if there is a belief that there's scraping going on. Google is very protective of their search results. Also, using certain Google-fu searches will also trigger thresholds.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

Recaptcha is a Google server app with a blob of browser javascript that in "easy" mode either requires no interaction at all, or asks you to check an "I'm not a robot" checkbox where the JS tracks your mouse motion as you check the box, to guess a likelihood that you are a bot. Your IP address, frequency of queries etc., all also figure into the calculation. If you score too high on bot likelihood, you get the more obnoxious captcha where you are shown a bunch of images and have to check which ones have cars in them or the like. It does seem to me that data center IPs get the obnoxious check more often.

These days you can get asked to check the recaptcha box even if you're not using a computer:

Dealership Makes Woman Sitting Right In Front Of Them Confirm She's Not A Robot

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @Yura said:

@JerryHou said:
    I have VPN/Proxy on 24x7 from my router, out of 6 VPS I have, only 1 gives me that Captcha.

Sorry, shouldn't use the spammer word... KCP is a protocol to send redundant packets, and if you access Google using that, it looks like multiple threads are from this one IP...

Thanked by 1Yura
  • Yura said: What is NOT spamming in this day and age?

When I make a request and get my request, and only my request, answered. Yeah, that's so old school it isn't even funny. But you knew that already. :)

Thanked by 1Yura
  • YuraYura Member
    edited July 2018

Warning: this is a rant and it is not pointed at anyone.

@Ole_Juul said:

Yura said: What is NOT spamming in this day and age?

When I make a request and get my request, and only my request, answered. Yeah, that's so old school it isn't even funny. But you knew that already. :)

1) I got that and I agree :) If only everyone would be nice and adhere to that.

Some people never see recaptcha and some like me and @raindog308 are solving these stupid "Find a storefront" puzzles to feed their DNN algos. I'm using VPN because I'm in an airport and I have no time for that nonsense, stupid Google!

Generally speaking

2) Scraping is not spamming, guys. I'm glad those who used these terms interchangeably in this thread amended their ways and made a distinction. Sure, sending "unwanted requests" to Google can be stretched to "spam" but that's not what it is. Search engine is not a human and no one is peddling their wares to it via scraping. Overlimiting open API for personal or commercial gain? I suppose so and it's bad. Don't abuse APIs guys. Yet we also know that Google won't break a sweat, all they really care about is to be fed juicy personal information, which doesn't come from bots. That's my outsider's opinion. My 2c.

3) Personally speaking, I would like to "stop spamming Google with my personal information". They should just stop shoving all these GPS data points, search queries, mail and stuff down their throat. Please Google, stop. Show me your fucking recaptcha next time you are sending info to places in your company that I don't want you to. Google, Facebook, Adshit, whatever, I don't want you. Selfhosting, LineageOS, Fdroid, pigeon mail and using Stallman's arsehole to keep ubikey and tailOS in is not a definitive answer if everyone around you just doesn't give a shit and leaks everything they know about you, indiscriminately.

• TionTion Member

Are Bing and Yandex not an alternative?

• @Tion said:

Have you used the internet in the last decade !

/jk

• YuraYura Member
    edited July 2018

@Tion said:

In their agenda, methods and business models they are practically the same. If you mean as search engines then Bing is useless in my opinion, Yandex is not doing well in international search. If you are interested in Russian results you may use Yandex. Chinese? Baidu. But Google consumed the world.

And just recently Facebook is (allegedly) being caught in handing personal info to Mail.ru, fwiw.
    Btw, Yandex is very invasive. I bet it looks up at big brother G and dreams to become like him one day soon.

The mildy improving privacy alternative is to use services like DuckDuckGo and StartPage which piggyback results from bigger search engines. But this is a mediocre solution that is usable as long as it doesn't bother Google, for example. (Basically, those sites are "scraping" SE for us, ironically enough).

I feel like the should be a more sane way for privacy for all other than technically complicated convoluted solutions that fracture relationships and cause split personality and dissociation... but what can you do. Maybe decentralization will provide better tools in the future and more adoption within general population.