Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cheap/free DNS nameserver with ANAME / flattened-CNAME support?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cheap/free DNS nameserver with ANAME / flattened-CNAME support?

vimalwarevimalware Member
edited July 2018 in General

I'm currently on DME (DnsMadeEasy) $30/yr plan for 4 domains.

Please share, if you know cheaper / free DNS hosting with this non-RFC 'ANAME' feature.
Description : https://dnsmadeeasy.com/services/anamerecords/#how-aname-works

I find the feature very convenient for managing load-balancer/homebrew-CDN addresses.

Or I'll need to finally gear up to setup a 3-4 node PowerDNS? cluster. Can one of the OSS Dns servers do this CNAME flattening as a feature?

(Just 3-4 'keeper' vps from reliable providers that I intend to keep long-term.)

Edit: Looks like Cloudflare calls this feature 'Flattened CNAME' records.

Route53 calls it ALIAS , I think.

Comments

• vimalware said: setup a 3-4 node PowerDNS? cluster.

This .... then offer it up to the community as LowEndDNS :)

• I've been pretty happy with CloudNS (tagging @BoyanPeychev who's not been very active here lately). It is called ALIAS on their platform as well. You may be able to manage with their free tier as well depending on your needs.

Of course if you're only looking for DNS, CloudFlare should give you what you need free of cost.

• amjamj Member

Netlify Managed DNS supports ALIAS records like ANAME, free to charge.

• @nullnothere said:
    I've been pretty happy with CloudNS...It is called ALIAS on their platform as well.

Thanks for this! +1 for CloudNS, been a user for quite some time already but didn't know that they offered this feature LOL!

For the longest time, I have been using www.domain.com for "top-level" CNAME. Is there any downsides on using these custom DNS records (ALIAS, ANAME, etc.) considering that it's not in the standards?

• @pullangcubo said: Is there any downsides on using these custom DNS records (ALIAS, ANAME, etc.) considering that it's not in the standards?

As long as you're using them as the only DNS server for a domain you should be fine. The caveats come when you try to migrate/export stuff into another setup where you need to be careful to set these up in the platform specific way. It's very easy to forget these special things after you set it up (and they'll come back and bite you in the most inopportune times and places!).

• @nullnothere said:

Have you used ALIAS for geodns purposes? I ask because I did a quick try and somehow "domain.com ALIAS geo.dns.com" always points to a single IP regardless of the client IP's location whereas "www.domain.com CNAME geo.dns.com" works fine (gets referred to the right IP depending on location).

Might be due CloudNS's implementation, no?

• @pullangcubo said: Have you used ALIAS for geodns purposes?

I don't use their Geo DNS (yet). The idea behind the Geo DNS record is to (at query time) figure out the closest IP based on the querying client - so I would think that the ALIAS setup doesn't make sense since the answer is anyways going to be dynamic (like the CNAME lookup). But I would think that it should support a round-robin entry if you do have multiple entries that it finally resolves to. You should open a ticket to get that clarified - they've always been very good at replies and even fixing stuff if it's a genuine bug.

• @nullnothere said:
    You should open a ticket to get that clarified - they've always been very good at replies and even fixing stuff if it's a genuine bug.

Yeah, figured that out :-) Thanks for the reply!