Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Private VPN with many servers (with no log) easy to generate?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Private VPN with many servers (with no log) easy to generate?

Is it easy to create private VPN with many server ip's like featured/popular VPN's with no log configuration?

Comments

• saibalsaibal Member

Are you @deank 's alter ego?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

His end is nigh actually. Give it few days.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2018

And then he said "no logs" :D

Your datacenter will log something. No logs is a myth.

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited July 2018

@Ympker said:

Still better than other VPNs that probably log everything.

and, no it is not easy. You need to manage every single server at every single location you plan to make.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@ehhthing said:

@Ympker said:

and, no it is not easy. You need to manage every single server at every single location you plan to make.

Technically you setup nyr/angristan openvpn once and be done with it. No logs is another story though.

• @Ympker said:

@ehhthing said:

@Ympker said:

Technically you setup nyr/angristan openvpn once and be done with it. No logs is another story though.

If he's looking for multiple IPs, he probably wants to set up a "commercial" VPN service.
    Otherwise, he should probably use make some kind of script that lets him setup a VPN on demand with digitalocean or vultr (both have setup scripts). This saves money and time since he'd never need to use multiple instances at the same time anyway.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

If you need to ask, then you should not be running a commercial VPN service. You're evidently not knowledgeable or competent enough to do so.

• @joepie91 said:
    If you need to ask, then you should not be running a commercial VPN service. You're evidently not knowledgeable or competent enough to do so.

This is not true. I mean he could have just looked for information online, + also asked this question here.

edited July 2018

@AntKala said:

@joepie91 said:

This is not true. I mean he could have just looked for information online, + also asked this question here.

It absolutely is true.

When you're selling a commercial VPN service - and that is a generally questionable business model, but let's ignore that for a moment - you are selling a promise of privacy to your users, who will have to trust you with their data.

It's incredibly difficult to run a correctly-configured commercial VPN service, moreso since basically all VPN server software logs things by default, sometimes in a way that can't be disabled without direct patches to the source code. It's also very easy to mess up the network configuration, causing security issues for clients.

If you do not exactly understand what you are doing, then you will not configure your service correctly and you will put your users at risk.

Hence, if you need to ask how to "easily run many VPN servers", you are clearly not competent enough to actually run a commercial VPN service. Because somebody who's competent enough would 1) already know how to run VPN servers, and 2) know that there's no 'easy' option that's also safe.

Thanked by 2lion maverickp
  • @joepie91 said:

If we all know everything there is no need for any type of forum.

Back to the question:

A VPN without log is obviously easier to create as one with log. I believe by default most VPN protocols don't have logs. But if you plan a commercial VPN service, don't you want a log to protect yourself against criminal activity, or other annoyances? Or would you like that your VPN is used to send a few million SPAM mails?

And even there is no logging, something will point at your IP and your host will get that letter.

I guess for one IP you need one server instance. You want your IPs very random and not from the same block, in case the whole block gets blocked.

I am interested in that topic myself. I run a few VPN protocols parallel on my Pi. All on the same IP. If any protocol gets blocked of course all are down for me. Having an IP pool would be great.

Thanked by 1lazyt
    edited July 2018

dergelbe said: If we all know everything there is no need for any type of forum.

The problem here is that the intention seems to be to run a commercial VPN service right off the bat, something that's very difficult to do safely. If this were a "how do I set up my own VPN for my own usage" type question, my response would be very different.

Basically, I'm giving the same response that people would get here if they asked "I have a dedicated server, how do I run a hosting business". You don't start out by serving paid customers; you start out by experimenting and figuring out how things work.

dergelbe said: A VPN without log is obviously easier to create as one with log. I believe by default most VPN protocols don't have logs.

This is false. And it's down to the specific VPN server you use, not the 'protocol'.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

joepie91 said: something that's very difficult to do safely

For now :)

@RobertClarke said:

joepie91 said: something that's very difficult to do safely

For now :)

Always will be. You're running security-critical infrastructure, which means you need to be very competent at what you do to get it right. There are aspects to that that you can't abstract away with a bit of code.

• @joepie91 said:

dergelbe said: If we all know everything there is no need for any type of forum.

The problem here is that the intention seems to be to run a commercial VPN service

What happened to innocent till proven guilty?

I have basically the same question, and no intent to run a commercial VPN. And no problem with logging either.

This said, I mainly use Outline now. There seem to be no traffic log within Outline with my default installation.

I still like to know if you can swap IPs on one server easily if you had a pool of IPs.

dergelbe said: What happened to innocent till proven guilty?

This is a forum, not a court. Specifically, a forum where we get a lot of people trying to make a quick buck with something they don't understand, and victimizing customers in the process.

If you look shady, you're not going to get the benefit of the doubt here.

dergelbe said: I have basically the same question, and no intent to run a commercial VPN. And no problem with logging either.

Like I said: I don't have a problem with the question in and of itself. It's the suspected intention of OP that's the issue here.

• I would like a VPN provider which gives you a pcap dump after each session, just for bragging rights.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

"Innocent until proven guilty" is outdated now.

With social media, it is now "Guilty until proven innocent".

Thanked by 4AuroraZ FHR saibal lazyt
  • Have a look at streisand: https://github.com/StreisandEffect/streisand
    If the VPN is only for yourself, this makes the installation and configuration very easy, and it's most probably configured more secure than what most people would come up with by themselves. It's a very well thought out script (IMHO).

But if you want to sell to strangers, I strongly agree to everything joepie91 said!

Thanked by 2joepie91 lazyt